287. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

268 93.38%
  • no

19 6.62%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we being ripped off with tackle in australia

Re: Are we being ripped off with tackle in australia

Got to say my tackle set up cost me more to get in the UK than it did here, and that was just to catch bloody carp
    Confucius says.........."Before man become master fisherman, man must become master baiter".

What I am surprise we havn't seen is a direct import tackle shop.
    Like someone with overseas connections bringing in brand name stuff and bypassing the local distributers.

Back in the eighties ( before the internet) a bloke I knew set up a little side business importing computer games from overseas, he could buy retail in the US, sell them cheaper than local retail and still make money.

I recently baught a genuine Mitsubishi projector lamp thu a paralell importer, it cost me 30% less than the very same item thu official channels....and the waranty was the same, but thu a different channel.

There have been direct import record stores for decades....but the record companies tried to shut them down, for obvious reasons.

I recon its the only way a small tackle shop will survive.....or for that matter get stock.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by cormorant View Post
    #What tax or wives?
    both! but in my case, the wife.

the biggest problem with profit margins in tackle shops is all the higher priced items are near impossible to make even a dollar on, the buyer will have surfed the net, gathered all the glossy brochures (from the local guy) then screwed him down to the last cent, and after all that, he buys over seas, and has wasted the local guys time for jack sh!t, it is just a fact of life on almost everything we buy nowdays, but for a packet of sinkers, or a block of pilchards for bait, we just go in and buy without a second thought, and think we are good customers for buying stuff from the local guy, who knows your name, will tell you whats biting, when the next tide is and god knows what else,, when in fact we are not all that good of customers at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    the biggest problem with profit margins in tackle shops is all the higher priced items are near impossible to make even a dollar on, the buyer will have surfed the net, gathered all the glossy brochures (from the local guy) then screwed him down to the last cent, and after all that, he buys over seas, and has wasted the local guys time for jack sh!t, it is just a fact of life on almost everything we buy nowdays, but for a packet of sinkers, or a block of pilchards for bait, we just go in and buy without a second thought, and think we are good customers for buying stuff from the local guy, who knows your name, will tell you whats biting, when the next tide is and god knows what else,, when in fact we are not all that good of customers at all.

Or you can walk in with your pants down and a tube of lube.......than wait till they say next please
    I need to work harder and longer as the people on welfare need more people like me

hey, don't get me wrong, I am not saying that gear is not too dear, what I am saying is, don't blame the end retailer (the tackle shop guy) he is battling to make a living, and for high end gear, we would rarely buy from him! but, if there was a drama, the first place we run to? the local guy, ask him to have a look at the item for us, jesus, might even spend $2 on a couple of sinkers while your there.

What would be really intersting is to get some prices (that include postage) from a US supplier, just to highlight the difference we can get this gear at.

If someone has time, that'd be great, otherwise I'll try and do it tonight once i get home..

Richard

I know a few tackle store owners and the prices are what they are because of our high labour costs. It's funny because everyone expects to have really cheap tackle but want to get paid well.

To be fair I bet we could get a foreign worker to do our jobs but they would charge $5 an hour. But we have an award to stop this happening so this has to be factored into the price.

Also I bet the foreign sellers don't charge the prices they do on the net in their shops, prices will be much higher in store. Anyone checked out the Mo tackle prices compared to in-store at Fishing Tackle Australia? Not so cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    What I am surprise we havn't seen is a direct import tackle shop.
    Like someone with overseas connections bringing in brand name stuff and bypassing the local distributers.

I think that they call that the grey market.

I bought a camera at Christmas time from a local Canon dealer at Annerley whose prices were so low that the very small difference in price between them and a local grey market importer did not make using the grey market source worthwhile, given any warranty hassles that might emerge.

That has to be where the tackle business goes, surely. Local distributors have to become competitive.

I once bought a marine radio from an Aussie Grey market importer but the difference in price to a local legitimte dealer selling the product on sale was only minor. It was only after getting the radio, that I realised that I had been dealing with a grey market importer and that if I needed warranty help, it would have been messy.

The local grey market importer has to pay GST whereas you don't if you import it yourself so why not cut out the middleman and just order online and import the products yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I know a few tackle store owners and the prices are what they are because of our high labour costs. It's funny because everyone expects to have really cheap tackle but want to get paid well.

To be fair I bet we could get a foreign worker to do our jobs but they would charge $5 an hour. But we have an award to stop this happening so this has to be factored into the price.

Also I bet the foreign sellers don't charge the prices they do on the net in their shops, prices will be much higher in store. Anyone checked out the Mo tackle prices compared to in-store at Fishing Tackle Australia? Not so cheap.
    Hi Insider, is you have at look at the orginal thread I posted you will see mo tackle and most of the big players in the first 3 pages of a google search.. yes as you can see they are only 5-10% and at best 15% of RRP.

as I have said before personally i would rather make a couple of percent out of something than nothing out of nothing.. yes the local tackle shop may have to do this on big ticket items but then get the customer, get their confidence and get all the add on sales that have better profit magines such as lines terninal tackle, lure ect ect ect and not to mention furture sales from word of mouth..

not to mention if they have spent the time with the client may as well get somting for the time than nothing
    "Live Life"

Hi La Vida

Can you come and work for me for 5 cents and hour? In return I might give you some more work later on if I can't get it cheaper on the internet and I will tell people how good you are as a free employee, and you get some money because something is better than nothing.

OK, lets just for a second at what life for the national distributer of fishing tackle could be like (lets remember I don't work in the tackle game, or know a distributer) this is just a "perhaps" You need to import a pile of reels/rods/whatevers, we are talking container loads, not a one off, posted item that a home user may import, you need spares for these new items, a pile of glossy brochures, all the freight and duties that are associated with these goods, a wharehouse to put them in, and a couple of staff to look after the wharehouse, next you need a sales rep who travels the state looking after retailers, a few phone people to answer calls, and an accountant (or a few maybe) a system of billing all your sales, and a bunch of shipping companies that will transport your goods to your retailers, now I am sure this is only part of being a big importer/distributer, and you have not sold a single reel yet! add to that stuff that never sells (for whatever reason) and needs to be cleared for zero profit and you can see there is a huge capital outlay to supply goods to you and I through a tackle store. Now I don't for one minute say they are not making a decent profit out of us, but at times they need to (well I think anyway)

and to put all that into context, the internet sales guy has none of that, they can buy when ordered, and you pay the freight, warranty is never an issue for them either, you are on the other side of the world, now, i wonder how they can sell stuff cheaper?

i refuse to buy some high end lures here as i cant justify $20-$25+ for something i get from the US for $5-$7. Thats for just ordering 1 item, if ordering more then with combined freight etc works out cheaper.

I have looked at things like soft plastics (same brands as here) and there is only a slight saving which to me isnt worth all the trouble, and rather give that back to here. but there is definitely something goin on with the extreme mark ups. Hell if im a Joe Blo and can save like 80% then why cant a distributor who would buy in bulk, bring prices down to a more realistic price. im not saying the same price as overseas, even double what i buy somethings for id buy back from the Aus shop, but not 300% more.

It might be worth thinking that distributors do contribute a lot to the local industry. Who has ever fished in a sponsored comp, had their kids go to a fishing clinic, fished a restocked dam etc A lot of this comes from distributors supporting the industry and they are sponsoring these things out of their own pockets.

You don't see any Japanese / American / Malaysian etc companies supporting the local industry.

Fair enough if you want to buy gear on-line we all work hard for the money but someone has to support fishing in Australia and I am guessing that it aint free.