287. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

268 93.38%
  • no

19 6.62%
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Are we being ripped off with tackle in australia

Re: Are we being ripped off with tackle in australia

I just bought a Daiwa Caldia 3000 from Japan for $250 delivered to my door within a week Cheapest you can buy them here is $350

Another example

The new saltiga 4500 is $1249 here, i can get it delivered to my door from Japan for $960. Thats a $289 saving.

cheers tim

Halcos are made in indonesia i think. Saw something on the accurate reels webpage (they distribute halco in USA) where they visited the factory.

On the other hand it seems as if the Aussie prices on some of higher end products like Daiwa Saltiga, Shimano Stellas and new Calcuttas are comparable to prices overseas. It's the low to mid range stuff where we get a much large disparity.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
    On the other hand it seems as if the Aussie prices on some of higher end products like Daiwa Saltiga, Shimano Stellas and new Calcuttas are comparable to prices overseas. It's the low to mid range stuff where we get a much large disparity.

Hi.
    Recent purchases.

Penn Torque 200 $270 delivered
    Saltiga 50 lever 2 spd. plus an AVET SX. Both loaded with braid. weight scales and pr of gloves. $47 freight from US (Charkbait) $740 to door in Q'Land.

Coupla weeks later. AVET MXJ with braid and split ring pliers. $164 + $41 freight.

I've also bought a few Chinese Composite rods (Pelagic) from Ebay.

Surprisingly good. Runners on spine. good backbone. and finished a lot better than most on sale here. I got 4 so far. and 3 cost under $50 delivered to door..
    One has Saltiga z40 on it. pulled a nice 30pluskg Cobe recently.
    Easier to use than Live Fibre I had on reel b4.
    Nice Parabolic action. with lotsa guts down low. Didn't fold under..
    Live fibres a bit too fast for me. Check ém out.

Macka

yes here in oz we seem to get the ruff end of the stick but there are a few things that are well priced. i have just bought a new versus 3080 tackle box for $180 and it came with $60 worth of boxers in side it. On the internet the cheapest one i could find was $160 and empty in side no boxes and then add your freight. so i think there are guys out there doing the right thing and the best that they can
    DONT HATE THE ANGLER, HATE THE GAME

There is still money to be saved - which is always better in ones own pocket ....... but the gap has certainly narrowed from the past savings of 40/45% down to <25% (parity on some Daiwa reels)
    Quality Japanese lures continue to be an absolute rip off with some makes and models double the price when compared to the US .
    Generally speaking though ,These days any reel advantage comes from buying multiples or bulk .

chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I just recently got a whole bunch of Muskie lures from USA that I think will be great for Barra here for about $5 ea landed in Aust.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I dont know if anyone else has noticed - but the gap on some tackle has narrowed appreciably between Australia & the US. I recently helped a mate pick a half decent spin reel & it was cheaper in Australia than it was in the US ( after discount) ...... & then no freight cost.
    There are reels like the Daiwa Zillion Type R that would probably cost you similar coin to land than if you bought here.
    Comparing a Stella 4000FE Tacklewarehouse US Vs Tacklewarehouse Brisbane US$759 Vs A$749 ..... even considering the exchange rate - once you add freight it would be a fraction cheaper here (with no warranty concerns)
    It's taken way too long but it appears that finally we are seeing some of the savings passed on because of the high Aussie $
    I have no doubt that there is little mark up on the mid / high end gear (20% ish) ....... certainly not at the retail end - We are being smashed by the distributors ..

Chris
    I just not long ago found a store that blew me away on the prices, they might not be 2013 models but a saltiga Z6500HDFdog fight was $335 the only catch you have to buy 3,so thats 3 for the price of one here and 200% mark up.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    I just not long ago found a store that blew me away on the prices, they might not be 2013 models but a saltiga Z6500HDFdog fight was $335 the only catch you have to buy 3,so thats 3 for the price of one here and 200% mark up.

Make sure they are legit..

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post
    Make sure they are legit..

Dan
    Yep, Daiwa Australia posted this on their Facebook Page recently:
    Buyer Beware!!!! There are lots of Steez rod copies being offered on ebay at present. There's a few sellers offering Steez rods for as low as $60 AU, these are coming from China. These rods were never imported into China, and the original models are made in Japan or Thailand by Daiwa Factories, so if you intend to buy any just be aware these are not Daiwa made products and we cannot help out if the rods break, get damaged etc
    and they circulated this way back in 2010
    Just a quick warning about something that has come to our attention in the last few months regarding high end Daiwa reels being built from non genuine parts, parts from different reels, flat out wrong parts that have been altered to fit or parts completely left out.

The main type of reel being done is 2500R size Exist which means they could be being sold as 2500, 2506, 2508, 2508R, 3000 or 3012 as any of those spools will fit on a 2500R body. The reels are being sold through internet forums like this as well as on eBay from the original seller and unfortunatly once people realise they have been ripped off they are trying to sell them on.

The reels appear to to just be run of the mill used reels with average wear on the outside. The problems are mainly on the inside where parts like the main shaft and the oscillating gear are the wrong size and are from a different reel. The main shafts tend to look like they were bent at one time and have been straightened again by being hammered flat and have obvious tooling marks on them which make them rough while oscillating. The oscillating gears are most probably from a 3000 size reel which is actually slightly bigger than a 2500R and causes the spool to make contact with the rotor on the down stroke. Parts that may not seem vitally important such as the washer under the oscillating gear or the washers between the pinion gear and bearing are simply missing. This may not seem like much,but high end reels work to very fine tolerences and a tenth of a mm can make a big difference to how a reel feels. The click leaf spring and holder are from a Certate and are on a slightly longer spool metal which can mean the reels drag is comprimised. The clutch cam retainers are completely wrong and have had their eyelets cut with pliers to fit the body. Some of the reels have drag knobs and rear covers from a Steez which are a different colour.

All this gives the impression that these reels have been put together using junk parts with the intention of selling them and there have been well over thirty of them sold in the last 12 months that are known about.

In many cases it is not cost effective to fix a reel with these kind of problems. Fixing can run into hundreds of dollars.

This is simply a warning to be careful when buying any second hand gear especially sight unseen over the internet. The vast majority of sellers should be happy to answer questions and provide detailed photos of more expensive items."
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    BIG warning!!!!

If that store is called Horizon Fishing Supplies, do not attempt to buy from them. They are not legit, they do not supply your product once paid for. They do not accept Credit Cards, and will only deal with elctronic transfers. They are based in Indonesia - according to their contact details.

I have been caught out with attempting to buy a Saltiga Dogfight 7000 and a Daiwa Exist 2508. Once money was transferred, all communication was stopped by Horizon. After trolling the net for months looking for other contact details for them, nothing works, i.e. phone numbers, email addresses, postal address.

Be warned from my experience.

http://horizonfishingsupply.com/

Do not buy from this mob!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pimp A Shrimp View Post
    BIG warning!!!!

If that store is called Horizon Fishing Supplies, do not attempt to buy from them. They are not legit, they do not supply your product once paid for. They do not accept Credit Cards, and will only deal with elctronic transfers. They are based in Indonesia - according to their contact details.

I have been caught out with attempting to buy a Saltiga Dogfight 7000 and a Daiwa Exist 2508. Once money was transferred, all communication was stopped by Horizon. After trolling the net for months looking for other contact details for them, nothing works, i.e. phone numbers, email addresses, postal address.

Be warned from my experience.

http://horizonfishingsupply.com/

Do not buy from this mob!!!!
    http://www.scamadviser.com/check-web...hingsupply.com

Owner in Nobby Beach QLD?

Dan

Dan - I just went on that scam advisor website, and couldn't find any detail on there, other than Horizon Fishing Supply has been registered. Your comment about the owner being in Nobby Beach QLD, where has that come from?

Sorry Dan - my firewall at work didn't show any detail on the link you sent. I just had a look through my iPhone it i can now see a whole of info. Sorry Mate. Ignore my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by Pimp A Shrimp View Post
    Dan - I just went on that scam advisor website, and couldn't find any detail on there, other than Horizon Fishing Supply has been registered. Your comment about the owner being in Nobby Beach QLD, where has that come from?
    If you scroll down you will see the heading More Site Details.
    Hit -Expand- there is a WHOIS option and a lot of other details like admin contacts, name servers.

It appears to be all over the place, Technical contact in Denmark, Site Hosted in Indonesian, Owner in Nobby Beach QLD, even has a phone number.

The guy may or may not actually be in Nobby Beach but probably is

Not sure if it would be in any way helpful, it depends really.
    They may have just done a forge of an owner to make it look more legitimate (bit over my head now).

But the site is still up and running, so I got no idea what going on there.

It still may be legit but your correct in warning people about it especially when they have already burnt you for a few hundred, the site certainly looks half legit to me so at least you may have saved some folk from the same fate.

Dan