287. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

268 93.38%
  • no

19 6.62%
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Are we being ripped off with tackle in australia

Re: Are we being ripped off with tackle in australia

If not from local stores, what online stores do most people get their gear from? Ebay?

Yep! Ebay USA.

recently i was searching both o/s online and the big tackle suppliers for two new snapper plastic reels,old ones had the richard after 6 years of flogging the guts out of them in an open boat. i had intended to pay$ 300 to $450 for medium to top end reels,i had a few worked out that would suit the two lamiglas rods they were headed for.....but after chatting to and throwing the pro's and con's around with a local fisho also a 20yr plus vetran in the tackle industry i purchased two reels that wern't on special or clearance for $30 cheaper each than mo tackle and the other on line big tackle stores.......go figure.... i didnt buy top end gear either i,ll get the same life out of these reels .....sometimes the face to face reasoning with an experienced fisho/ retail person helps....def would'nt get that on line or esp at b..f

Hehe, I used to see movies way back where people ordered their stuff on the computer and got it home delivered. Very much fiction back then but is now a very BIG truth.
    I reckon we get a lot of s**t gear sold in tackle shops in Australia and that is one reason I wont buy Shimano spin reels here anymore. Sick of gear that falls apart in your hands on the tenth cast.
    Overseas gets the good stuff, USA in particular.
    I got a Shimano Navi Supership 8000 spin reel from Malaysia 5 years back, all alloy body. for Under $120 and it refuses to wear out or break and Ive given it a flogging!!
    I have a friend who is shutting his business shop doors and going E-Biz and he saves $1200 a week in the first instance from working from home and can provide the same product 20 t0 30% cheaper.
    Its a no brainer!
    cheers.

I know it isn't fishing tackle but i've just ordered some mower parts from the US.

Its going to cost me half the price, It would cost me locally including freight and I'm paying Full US retail.

interesting that a 400cc vertical shaft Honda motor will cost you 2/3 to 3/4 the price of a snotty old Briggs and stratton in AU.......in the US the briggs will cost you 2/3 the price of the Honda.
    The honda is only about $100 dearer here than it is in the US.
    And the honda is a far better motor.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

One thing to remember is that going into the shop and sighting the gear, getting some feedback is well worth it.
    Like when buying a new rod or when some new merchandise comes on the market that no one else has.

On the other side of the coin though.....

I really dont like paying for gear at FCB , its a huge franchise and they still have the hide to hit you for $5.00 for a pack of 4 Gamakatsu circle hooks.

They going for $30.00 for a pack o hundred here , I bought a couple of the 25 packs and they are the real deal.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Richards-Sports-Supply

ouch..

A heads up for the savy bait fisherman that likes his quality Gamakatus.

These guys do Japanese lures cheaper than anywhere I can find them and they are local. www.mrtojotackle.com.au I have bought some high end stick baits from them and some placcies and they are the shiz.

Simple if you know what you want shop around on line, if you want advice find a good tackle shop

If your in the market for some worm hooks, this guy is also good.
    Cheap as chips, combine postage and cost you about $3.00 postage where he is selling them for $2.50 bucks a pack.
    They are the real deal (I got some).

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Fontana-Fi...8918320&_rdc=1

Great thread.
    I'd love to hear from an 'insider', regarding the mark-up on fishing gear.
    We keep hearing that there is little to no mark-up on quality fishing gear, and profit is made on the small stuff. That might be true?
    I've got someone that's somewhat an 'insider'. Was in the tackle game for quite a few years, and their product is somewhat a household name amongst fishers. Anyway, I was visiting a few months back while he was setting up a luxury charter business (the focus being the boats, not the fishing), and he was showing me all the rods and reels he'd recently purchased at wholesale prices. They were what we'd probably consider mid-range gear, but the prices he told me that he paid for them were easily half-price of what I'd have to pay off the shelf, and they were locally sourced.
    I support the local shops charging a fair price for the product. I don't have a problem with 100% mark-up on product. My ex-wife has been in retail her whole working life, and my understanding is that 100% is (was?) pretty an industry standard, from clothing to tacky tourist junk.
    So if the Oz wholesalers/retailers are being gouged in comparison to their OS counterparts, that's a different issue (which is the topic of this thread, not so much my post).
    So, without highjacking this post too much, are there any 'insiders' prepared to comment on retail mark-up of the fishing gear that we so love to spend our $$$ on?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
    Hehe, I used to see movies way back where people ordered their stuff on the computer and got it home delivered. Very much fiction back then but is now a very BIG truth.
    I reckon we get a lot of s**t gear sold in tackle shops in Australia and that is one reason I wont buy Shimano spin reels here anymore. Sick of gear that falls apart in your hands on the tenth cast.
    Overseas gets the good stuff, USA in particular.
    I got a Shimano Navi Supership 8000 spin reel from Malaysia 5 years back, all alloy body. for Under $120 and it refuses to wear out or break and Ive given it a flogging!!
    I have a friend who is shutting his business shop doors and going E-Biz and he saves $1200 a week in the first instance from working from home and can provide the same product 20 t0 30% cheaper.
    Its a no brainer!
    cheers.
    Your mate going to E-Biz, is he up and running yet?? When he does be sure to put his link up, I would rather support an aussie E-Biz than overseas.
    Jack.

I dont know if anyone else has noticed - but the gap on some tackle has narrowed appreciably between Australia & the US. I recently helped a mate pick a half decent spin reel & it was cheaper in Australia than it was in the US ( after discount) ...... & then no freight cost.
    There are reels like the Daiwa Zillion Type R that would probably cost you similar coin to land than if you bought here.
    Comparing a Stella 4000FE Tacklewarehouse US Vs Tacklewarehouse Brisbane US$759 Vs A$749 ..... even considering the exchange rate - once you add freight it would be a fraction cheaper here (with no warranty concerns)
    It's taken way too long but it appears that finally we are seeing some of the savings passed on because of the high Aussie $
    I have no doubt that there is little mark up on the mid / high end gear (20% ish) ....... certainly not at the retail end - We are being smashed by the distributors ..

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I just put some money on a 12 ft Daiwa Sensor Surf at TackleWarehouse..

Kudos to them for up-keeping a nice range of rods.

Cheers

Dan

I'm hopefully going over the border next week (to China as i currently work in Hong Kong) to look at a heap of lures.... under a $1 a piece for samples... when the similar items sells for 8x that ammount in aus.
    Lets see how they look/work though....