Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoker ideas & recipes?

Smoker ideas & recipes?

Hello everyone ,
    Bought this stainless steel smoker from a camping outlet.....never used one before & would like some advice. Cheers Rosie

Re: Smoker ideas & recipes?

fillet your fish rub with brown sugar and salt leave for about 2 hours fill your meth container then sit back and wait for approx 20 minutes and enjoy, sausages and chicken breast can be done the same way tho you will need to finish the chicken in the microwave no doubt somebody has a better recipe out there

Contact Noelm re his mate's way of smoking meat. I have used it for the last few years and it does a great job on chicken, fish, beef, snags, pork, etc

Steve

There is a few tips for using those small box smokers, I guess it is the one with the small metho burner that goes underneath? first off, buy some smoking sawdust from tackle store (if the smoker did not come with some) lay some on the bottom of the smoker, about half fill the metho burner with metho (of course) lay your prepared fish on the racks inside, and light the burner, you can't see the flame very well, so be carefull, place the smoker over the burner and fit the lid nice and tight, now for the bad bit, when the burner has gone out, the smoker box will be as hot as buggery, so do NOT burn your fingers (trust me, I know), the fish inside will be nice and brown coloured, and can be eaten straight away, or left to cool a bit and placed in an AIRTIGHT container in the fridge, a non airtight container will result in everything in the fridge having a smoky taint! another small tip, don't place the smoker on a wooden or soft surface, it will burn it from the heat of the tiny burner, I place mine on a metal tary sort of thing, also be careful of wind, it will blow the burner out and you will not know until you have a look at your fish.

a good resource is for weber grills and smokers, try http://tvwbb.com/eve

more meat though not fish
    Tangles KFC

an old webber makes a great smoker, I found an old Kmart one on the side of the road during a council cleanup and still use it, they work fantastic, but more suited to doing larger amounts of fish/food, where the small box ones are Ok for a few bits and are easy to clean up and store for later use.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by sid_fishes; 16-05-2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: i can

Table spoon of salt 3 tables spoons brown sugar 600ml water ( garlic, sweet chill , soy etc. at your discretion ) soak fillets for one hour . Smoke for 15 mins
    nb the more you dry the fillets the smokier they will be I do not pat my fillets dry The flavour is over powering if to dry . good luck

PM Haji Baba he has been doing his whiting and flathead for sometime.
    What other people think about me is not my business: Michael J Fox.

Can vouch for Goanna1's recipe -took it away to Fraser and used with Tailor, flathead and gar. The two mates I was with hadn't tried a smoker before and are now converts. Bloody awesome and melts in your mouth.

Bleed a tailor then as soon as it has finished kicking whack it in the smoker, you will be amazed how good it turns out without any added flavourings.
    Jack.

Try prawns in the smoker, they don't take long though, but the taste is out of this world. also try a little container of white wine with coriander or other fresh herbs in it, on the base inside the smoker. The steam from it helps keep the fish moist (especially if you have had too many beers and tend to forget about it) and adds a nice subtle flavour.
    I also use the brown sugar and plenty of salt on the fillet. even leave a few lemon/lime slices on the fish. Adds a zing every few mouthfuls. YUM.

Also, all those large fish frames.... chuck them in the smoker. Unbelievable amount of meat to pick at... We always have the intention of using it as a dip or with crackers etc..... never really makes it to the kitchen though. Is great for a pick at while you are having a drink or two..... (why does all my cooking revolve around drinking??).

I love fish, Chicken, Rabbit, Red Claw, Prawns, Etc cooked in a smoker.

One thing I try to do with Kingy/AJ's fillets is to cut the Fillet the same depth through say 2cm thick and leave the skin on.
    Try a Taylor whole with a few lime wedges left on the rack beside the fish when smoked.

Google, redbacktrading and have a look at there dust and chips for smoking. adds different flavours (Yummy)

Also a good tip is to use aluminum foil under the wood chips/dust as it makes cleaning up heaps easier.
    And take note how full you fill the metho burner and time how long it burn for so you can work out if you need less or more to suit what your cooking......For say 2 taylor fillets I would 1/2 fill the burner and work it from there.

Cheers and now I am hungry !!!
    Brett