Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoker ideas & recipes?

Re: Smoker ideas & recipes?

I just grabbed one of the ALDI specials today ($199). It is a rebadged HARK LPG hot smoker but can be used for cold smoking using a smoke generator. Stay tuned for the first cook tomorrow
    I have used one of the small stainless jobs for many years and they produce a great product
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Same here. Have just put it together. Hope to do some turkey breasts in the next few days.

Have done a fair bit of chicken and fish on the little nipper kipper, this looks like it will be another learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausfish View Post
    Same here. Have just put it together. Hope to do some turkey breasts in the next few days.

Have done a fair bit of chicken and fish on the little nipper kipper, this looks like it will be another learning curve.
    Mines all together but not sesoned yet. there is some good info on the Aussie BBQ Forum
    http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

I am looking to add a A-Maze-N pellet smoke generator so I can add cold smoke as well. It looks like its a good idea to add a bit of a sealer fireplace or stove) to the door to hold more smoke in
    This weeks menu includes
    Smoked Chicken (whole)
    Smoked Pickled Portk
    Smoked Mushrooms
    Smoked Chicken wings
    Pork Ribs
    Smoked slow cooked Pork Scotch Fillet

I hope to have sorted out some Maple Cured Bacon by Xmas
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

gees, don't know about the mushrooms, but hey, you never know untill you try, chicken wings, drumsticks and breast come out a treat, I have found that most red meat needs a bit of extra time in the smoker for some reason.

Just a quick experiment tonight

prawns, very nice. 20 minutes then covered with alfoil on the tray for as long as I could wait, not long (5min) and then eaten.

Salmon, excellent, 30 minutes, sprinkled with a bit of ginseng spice.

Turkey breast, took the smaller one out after 1 hour. Yet to taste it.

you blokes need a WSM
    Tangles KFC

Looked at one of them. You can buy them from the states, I think they will nowship them to Australia, and a hell of a lot cheaper than what they sell them here for.

But having fun with this at the moment.
    Smoked some duck breasts and a couple of chooks tonight. Might have to look at the low fat options in the future though :-)
    Last edited by Ausfish; 06-12-2011 at 11:13 PM.

Steve,

i have a WSM and a good thing is you can also use it as a grill as well, and will happily roast with some smoke
    Tangles KFC

Pickled pork went well, so well that I am now doing one for Christmas. Smoked it using Apple and Cherry wood.

Tried some mussels but didn't go well. Used frozen ones, half shelled them but was too much water in them and they stewed in the shell. Will try some fresh ones next time and see how they go. Any have any tips for mussels please let me know.

I did a pickled pork as well and it came out very nice on hickory as did the pork shoulder. Try some humble pork sausages in the smoker and you will be amazed at the transformation. I have a slab of Pork Belly in a brine at the moment and will cold smoke it next weekend
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Mud crab s broken up in the smoker are awesome too.

try a couple of nips of whiskey with the brown sugar salt ans water mix.......can't stop eating after trying that.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    I did a pickled pork as well and it came out very nice on hickory as did the pork shoulder. Try some humble pork sausages in the smoker and you will be amazed at the transformation. I have a slab of Pork Belly in a brine at the moment and will cold smoke it next weekend
    Haven't brined anything yet, just been smoking. What brine are you using on the Pork Belly? Sounds like it would be worth a crack.

How are you doing your cold smoke?

I attempted it tonight on two slabs of salmon using some BBQ beads to smoke the wood but didn't kick off so ended up just hot smoking them.

I have some Mackerel in a brine at the moment, one suggested by Noelm, see how they go. Might also coat them in some pepper corns or something before they are smoked.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Mud crab s broken up in the smoker are awesome too.

try a couple of nips of whiskey with the brown sugar salt ans water mix.......can't stop eating after trying that.
    Not a big fan of muddies, prefer spanners or sandies, might try that with them, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausfish View Post
    Haven't brined anything yet, just been smoking. What brine are you using on the Pork Belly? Sounds like it would be worth a crack.

How are you doing your cold smoke?

I attempted it tonight on two slabs of salmon using some BBQ beads to smoke the wood but didn't kick off so ended up just hot smoking them.

I have some Mackerel in a brine at the moment, one suggested by Noelm, see how they go. Might also coat them in some pepper corns or something before they are smoked.
    I am using some brine my butcher gave me and added some more salt and maple syrup but this week I will get my hands on some curing salt or Nitrite to make my own. I have tried the beads and got it working two out of three attempts. I think I will invest in one of the A-Maze-N cold smoke generators
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

wanted to look at the Aldi smoker but missed out

this thread has inspired me to get out and finish the keg roaster and also to see how it works for hot smoking

picked up a pub schooner glass dishwasher rack when collecting the oil for the car yesterday and you would not believe how good it fits into the keg

all is looking good so now I need to go catch a fish to try

and you did say pickled pork???????? never smoked anything but fish so will have to experiment

cheers Murf