Thread: Most suitable reel

Most suitable reel

Hi Guys

What would be the best type and size of spinning reel to use with a 7' 4-6kg spinning rod. This rod will be used for plastics offshore in 20m or so of water. Any suggestions on braid strength would also be appreciated.

Re: Most suitable reel

Give us a budget mate. 15-20lb braid would be the go.
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

sorry guys perhaps in the mid range up to $400 or so.

a stradic 4000 or 5000 would be my pick bout 20lb braid
    cheers rosco

Lots of options then mate. As Rosco said you could get a Stradic 4000 or 5000 or the 4000 Ci. Then you can go up to the TwinPower 4000FC, they are an awesome reel and a real step up from the Stradic and are around the $390 mark.

If you want to go Daiwa, you can look at the SOL and Luvias 2500 or 3000 models.
    The Luvias 2500R would be nice...

Any of these reels would do the job well. Bargain well and try and get it spooled with braid when you buy it, that can save you some bucks!
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

Quote Originally Posted by LostNearBribie View Post
    Lots of options then mate. As Rosco said you could get a Stradic 4000 or 5000 or the 4000 Ci. Then you can go up to the TwinPower 4000FC, they are an awesome reel and a real step up from the Stradic and are around the $390 mark.

If you want to go Daiwa, you can look at the SOL and Luvias 2500 or 3000 models.
    The Luvias 2500R would be nice...

Any of these reels would do the job well. Bargain well and try and get it spooled with braid when you buy it, that can save you some bucks!
    Totally agree and would add another reel in the mix, the Daiwa segate light 3500H. Not as good as the Twinpower FC but better than the others mentioned IMO.
    The 4000 or 5000 Twinpower FC is definitely the pick of the bunch mentioned so far.

If you want to spend the full $400 or so then the 4000 Twinpower is the best choice. I would probably pick a 4000 sized Stradic and I don't think I would lose much over the Twinpower
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Mo tackle are doing the old model 4000 certate for $399 at the moment and is a great reel for theprice and you will get Aussie warranty , and you might be able to talk them into giving you some 20 or so lb line for it ..... Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

I would go the twin power but if you can squeeze a bit more I would go the stella- I have a 4000 stella and it is just the best little reel.