Thread: Big Game Beach gear.

Big Game Beach gear.

Gday all,

Im tossing up between a Penn senator L2 115 or the Daiwa sealine H series 900. ill be running 80 pound line and ill be chasing some monster sharkies off rainbow and fraser. im leaning towards the penn senator L2 115 at the moment but would like a few opinions?

thanks allot.

Re: Big Game Beach gear.

PBK

I guess your planning to release these Monster Sharkies , as i'm sure you know sharks over 1.5m are now protected.

50 lb will be heaps, 30lb will even get the job done for all but the biggest so you should be able to scale down you gear abit!

Both reels will hold around 700m of 50 so plenty there , i personally would go the daiwa if i had to choose between those 2!

Another reason i wouldn't go 80lb is that if you fish either reel with the correct drag (eg 50% ) neither reel will last very long before it shits itself!!!!

Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

The tiagra 80 is the most popular choice for that because it has better seals than those other reels, on a budget diawa is better for rust than penn!

there not small ian, i wouldnt want 30 on if this thing jumped on

http://www.tx-sharkfishing.com/photo...lbum=5&pos=126

Yeh there are a few bigger ones but 50lb would handle them easily enough, 80's just over kill specially on the reels mentioned above, there just not up to it if it's being fished properly!

yeh ive used the tiagra 50w before and loved it ( they truly are beautiful reels ) however i also chase bluefin and some real big sharkies off the tip of fraser during the whale migration and believe it or not i have lost a few on 50 pound. I am going the 80 just because i like to put a bit more grunt on the big buggers before the realise they can motor off to the sunset hahaha.. I have seen a few good whites hooked off this certain stretch of water by a few mates who have turned me onto 80.. I already have two set ups running 50pound.. this will be my first really heavy one..

I dont mind forking out the extra bucks.. and if so would the okuma makira be worth a look.. i havent heard much of those reels and the max drag pressure looks phenominal

Oh and brisbane_boy thats a bloody monster haha..

If your going to run 80 then spend the extra $ now instead of breaking one of the mentioned above and then getting a good one!

yeh you make a good point.. there really is no easy way around haha.. if ya wanna run heavy lines for hefty fish its best to put the money down.. i think i might have a look at the makaira, international and tiagra.

I know Peter Paukula speaks very highly of the Okuma.

Do a search on his website and even put aup a thread on his forum.

Timbo
    HEAD DOWN BUM UP!

Are you using mono or braid? If it`s braid, I would look at the Okuma Makaira 50 2 speed or the Jigging Master PE8

Quote Originally Posted by Timfishin4fun View Post
    I know Peter Paukula speaks very highly of the Okuma.

Do a search on his website and even put aup a thread on his forum.

Timbo
    Yep i'm sure he put a thread up on his forum , just because he liked the reels soooo much!!! Not likely!

Okuma and Pakula lures are tied up nicely together , of course Peter thinks there great.... but he would wouldn't he!!

http://blog.okumafishing.com/2010/06...eminar-series/

Not really an un-biased opinion! In this day and age you have to be very careful about following recomendations and always look deeper. for example if a boating mag really rates a certain newly released boat i always look to see if the afore mentioned new boat is advertised in that publication, if it is the whole artical isn't worth a pinch of poo imho!