Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Sandflies

Re: Sandflies

Stinger suit...done!! Mind you the "telly tubby" comments sting worse than the f^%#$ sandflies

Try taking a multi B tablet twice a day for two weeks before you go, works a treat. I used to get smashed real bad by the little shits, but now they hardly touch me. If I do get a bite they don't bit for long and the bite mark goes down within half an hour with no itching. Or you can now buy a product from the chemist that is a combo of B and a chemical, I have heard this works really well.
    Cheers. Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickyduck View Post
    Try taking a multi B tablet twice a day for two weeks before you go, works a treat. I used to get smashed real bad by the little shits, but now they hardly touch me. If I do get a bite they don't bit for long and the bite mark goes down within half an hour with no itching. Or you can now buy a product from the chemist that is a combo of B and a chemical, I have heard this works really well.
    Cheers. Mick.
    Hi Mick

I was rattling internally from the Mega B that I was taking ...... The other guy who got smashed as well took vitamin B for a couple of weeks as well.
    Besides smelling bad annd pi$$ing fluoro - it had no benefits

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Ehsman View Post
    As a prevention I agree with Scott nthQld , We spent 2 weeks on the Robinson River NT & used a mix of Baby oil Dettol & Metho & not one of us suffered from bad bites, & they were thick...
    As a remedy,, my missus got badly bitten a little while back & the best relief was a very hot shower (as hot as you can stand) Then apply Dermaid Cream

Cheers Baz

PS I find that heaps of VB helps me

Hi Baz

Sadly - we didn't have access to a hot shower for 9 days ..... but I did have a hot dettol bath when I got home - the greatest relief came from taking antihistamines (Fexo 180 ..... chemists own brand) - this worked a treat & basically switched off the itching ( which was great because we got smashed while packing the camp that morning) .
    I'm still to try the brew of dettol / baby oil & metho .... mainly because the oil will make you burn (sunburn) but I will ..... also add some Tea tree oil & if I can get some pyrethrum ...... add that too.
    But we are certainly running out of options

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Chris +1 for the 20% dettol and 80% baby oil . the homebrand stuff works just as good as the name brand
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Bushmans spray 20% DEET & 40% .... Bushmans Gel 80% DEET with & without sunblock ...... used in combination & still copped a floggin
    This is my third time to this spot & I got flogged each time ....... but still no immunity

Chris
    Damn, the fishing must be awesome for you to go back? that or it sounds like you need a new camping spot

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hi Baz

Sadly - we didn't have access to a hot shower for 9 days ..... but I did have a hot dettol bath when I got home - the greatest relief came from taking antihistamines (Fexo 180 ..... chemists own brand) - this worked a treat & basically switched off the itching ( which was great because we got smashed while packing the camp that morning) .
    I'm still to try the brew of dettol / baby oil & metho .... mainly because the oil will make you burn (sunburn) but I will ..... also add some Tea tree oil & if I can get some pyrethrum ...... add that too.
    But we are certainly running out of options

Chris

CHris.

I was talking to someone about the other remedy we tried..apparently contains lots of that stuff. If you can get some, add it to the mix, should work a treat. I cant believe I didnt get smashed. normally they love me. I was taking the Vit B also.....maybe the secret is XXXX gold!!! worked for Gips and I.

Stevo
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan5 View Post
    I'm guessing that you have just done your trip to KAB?.....

Mate if Bushmans ain't working nothing proberbly will...........detol and baby oil is the prefered concoction.......1ltr oil......100mm detol...keep applying...generously.As you know the oil creates a barrier and the detol disefect's the wound.

Luckily i'm usually the one sitting around the camp in shorts only wondering what all the fuss is about.

Did you try lot's of xxxx gold?......works a treat.

Make sure you treat the bites with some savlon or similar they can get badly infected......Years ago my mates mother nearly lost her whole foot due to a sandfly bite infection gone septic.........she had 1/4 of her foot removed to save the foot.

Dan

Love your work Dan!!!

I tried telling the lads. The 2 of us that werent affected (and I do get bit from time to time) were drinking gold. ...regularly....lots....too much...na...never too much.....Plus bushmans (normal 20% spray) and I also too the Vit B as it worked for me in the past on NT trips.

I felt sorry for Chris and Nick....they looked like chockito bars with welts!! it was bad..
    Cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Love your work Dan!!!

I tried telling the lads. The 2 of us that werent affected (and I do get bit from time to time) were drinking gold. ...regularly....lots....too much...na...never too much.....Plus bushmans (normal 20% spray) and I also too the Vit B as it worked for me in the past on NT trips.

I felt sorry for Chris and Nick....they looked like chockito bars with welts!! it was bad..
    Cheers Steve
    Come on Steve, be honest........ Nagg, bit of cement mate.......

Quote Originally Posted by trymyluck View Post

that would work ...... cover myself with the stuff
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Baby oil, Dettol and a hefty dash of citronella concentrate works well for me, and I usually suffer...Nice scent, doesn't melt plastic, and isn't too greasy.

Does anyone know where you can buy pyrethrum extract ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by trymyluck View Post
    Mark,

Mate the lads did do it tough. I give them credit for that. If you could have seen the welts over their bodies...I wouldnt swap that for anything!! They soldiered on though...plenty of scratching, like a pair of mongrel dogs!!!

Cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Mark,

Mate the lads did do it tough. I give them credit for that. If you could have seen the welts over their bodies...I wouldnt swap that for anything!! They soldiered on though...plenty of scratching, like a pair of mongrel dogs!!!

Cheers Steve
    mongrel dogs - you mean Itchy & Scratchy
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO