Thread: Fin Nor Offshore spin reels

Fin Nor Offshore spin reels

I just bought a Fin Nor offshore reel in 7500 size, going to spool it with 80lb power pro and fit it on my Fin Nor Ahab 50lb spin rod.

Will be used for jigging, popping for Gt's and the odd bit of trolling. Seems to be a really solid heavy bit of kit anybody with some experience of these reels?

http://www.finnorfishing.com/OffshoreOFS.html

Re: Fin Nor Offshore spin reels

I have bought the same combo. At $199.00 its amazing value. I think the reel is a great powerful reel but does not suit the Ahab 30-50 in the slightest . The Ahabs are an amazing bit of kit weighing next to nothing and rated to 50lb . I have not used mine in anger yet and probably won't get the chance to until my upcoming Stanage Bay trip. There is no way I would let 80lb anywhere near that blank and I feel 50lb is pushing the friendship
    I think that the Offshore 75 is overkill for the combo at 32oz and I think a Saltist 6500 at 24.4 oz or a Stradic 8000/Saragosa 8000 at 20.5 oz would be a better option.
    My Offshore will be going on a short Jig rod so I can test the 60lb drag it has hopefully on a few Reds
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    I have bought the same combo. At $199.00 its amazing value. I think the reel is a great powerful reel but does not suit the Ahab 30-50 in the slightest . The Ahabs are an amazing bit of kit weighing next to nothing and rated to 50lb . I have not used mine in anger yet and probably won't get the chance to until my upcoming Stanage Bay trip. There is no way I would let 80lb anywhere near that blank and I feel 50lb is pushing the friendship
    I think that the Offshore 75 is overkill for the combo at 32oz and I think a Saltist 6500 at 24.4 oz or a Stradic 8000/Saragosa 8000 at 20.5 oz would be a better option.
    My Offshore will be going on a short Jig rod so I can test the 60lb drag it has hopefully on a few Reds
    Horse did you end up getting the Capricorn on special for the Ahab?

Quote Originally Posted by Daintreeboy View Post
    Horse did you end up getting the Capricorn on special for the Ahab?
    No. Im still tossing up which reel to use on it. I have a Torsion 60 that doesn't feel too bad at 21.5oz but I doubt it will handle the type of work I intend to do with it
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Actually I have had the Ahab rod for a while it currently has a 850ssm Penn Spinfisher on it with 50lb braid.
    Due to being a tightarse on a budget and wanting another heavy spin outfit I bought a Spinfisher 10 to 15kg rod to take the Penn, the Offshore will go onto the Ahab with 80lb braid and in time I will buy a rod better suited for the Offshore etc etc.