Thread: Line twist HELP!

Line twist HELP!

Hi all
    Have been using an alvey reel, 6lb mono line, small swivel, no sinker, to fish for bream etc, I leave the spool open and allow the line to freespool off the reel with the current.
    Using yabbies for bait, but I am getting a lot of line twist, I run it out behind the boat when travelling to untwist, but pretty soon its twisting again. Any ideas on how to avoid that. I use a very small swivel, should I try a larger one?
    Baffled
    Barraboy7
    " Fishing is not a hobby, a Hobby is something I do in my spare time! "

Re: Line twist HELP!

Are the way you baiting the yabbies making them spiral in the current?

I'm not sure hwo alveys work to be honest but if you wind while the fish takes drag that can create twist on a threadline.

You should try to use 2 swivels on the rig and maybe go up a size or try a different brand/type if you think it is locking up and not "swivelling".

buy quality double ball bearing swivels. they will stop the twist

Suggested Brand Captain Rednut? Thanks for the advice!
    Barraboy7

If you are leaving the reel in the casting position as your post suggests, every single loop of line that comes off the spool as you are feeding it back is one more complete twist of line.
    If you intend on fishing by feeding out line, I suggest you buy a Alvey blakcfish centrepin reel running on bearings, not bushes. They are the closest thing on the market to zero resistance and you could fish unweighted yabbies in a similar way with the reel in the closed position, not cast position and minimise your twist a huge amount.
    Using the smallest swivels you can find and a heavier main line with a light leader will negate a huge amount of your twist, keeping the main line light will maintain a larger amount of twist because the line has less tensile and tortional resistance to avoid twisting.
    Jack.

I'm no alvey expert but i run 2 shogun ball bearing swivels.Either one above and one below the sinker if i'm using weight or 2, a foot or so apart if i'm going unweighted.When fishing with no weight and want to feed line out, i do it as stated above and have the reel closed.

Can you use braid on an Alvey? maybe less twist in the softer braids, what if i used a heavier braid as mainline and a 2 metre 6lb fluorocarbon leader up front? Any thoughts?
    Barraboy7
    " Fishing is not a hobby, a Hobby is something I do in my spare time! "