Thread: New reel for a 7ft 7-8kg live fibre rod

New reel for a 7ft 7-8kg live fibre rod

hi guys, next projest on the upgrade replace list.

putting a new spiining reel (after the old Okuma epix 30 had its guts pulled out by a cobia) to suita 7-8kg 7ft live fibre rod. Mainly chase snapper and pearlies with this. 30lb braid and budget is approx $400.00

Donot want anther okuma!!!, thinking sustain or Daiwa seagate light (anyone had any experience with these?)

Thanks
    Marty
    "Live Life"

Re: New reel for a 7ft 7-8kg live fibre rod

Marty,

Check out the Penn Conquer, its a cracker. I've got a 5000 that is perfect and use it (when I do go fishing which lately has been a rarity) for the exact purpose you describe. It is a lovely reel and well within your budget in the mid $200's. Certainly worth checking out.

cheers

Rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

I've been using a saltist 4500 with 30lb braid on a diawa grandwave very nice so far, plenty of drag. but I still love my baitrunner 6500 B series.

Fin-Nor off shore

5000 Stradic all day i love mine

Daiwa sol 3000 or 4000?

Marty I have the seagate 3500H (light). It's a great reel, a step up from the saltist and the 3500 size is smaller and lighter than the 4500 saltist size which is what you want as you are only using 30lb braid. I can't fault mine.

I said in another post about a large Groper I tackled a while back but can't post the video yet as it's being looked at by funniest hime videos.
    I got it into the beach on the seagate with 30lb braid.

The groper was around 2 m long so in the 150 kilo range I suppose, hard to tell at that size.

Apart from a screaming big Spanish mackerel run I can't think of a better way to test a reels strength!!

At the budget you mention the only other reel I would look at is a Twinpower 5000 FC. Being fully waterproof it is probably a step up from the seagate. Never had any problems with any of my Twinpowers.

Have a look at the Daiwa Catalina 4500...avaliable in 2 ratios........I have the 4500H high speed.......built on the Saltiga production line.

If importining you could get one for the dollars you ae talking about........much more H/Duty than a Saltist/Twin Power.

Quote Originally Posted by Daintreeboy View Post
    Marty I have the seagate 3500H (light). It's a great reel, a step up from the saltist and the 3500 size is smaller and lighter than the 4500 saltist size which is what you want as you are only using 30lb braid. I can't fault mine.

I said in another post about a large Groper I tackled a while back but can't post the video yet as it's being looked at by funniest hime videos.
    I got it into the beach on the seagate with 30lb braid.

The groper was around 2 m long so in the 150 kilo range I suppose, hard to tell at that size.

Apart from a screaming big Spanish mackerel run I can't think of a better way to test a reels strength!!

At the budget you mention the only other reel I would look at is a Twinpower 5000 FC. Being fully waterproof it is probably a step up from the seagate. Never had any problems with any of my Twinpowers.

Thanks Daintreeboy, I will be going for the seagate for this update and then look at something like a catalina on a better rod when the misses isnt looking!!!

Great effort on the groper.. how long did it take to get in??? look forward to see the video.. that is a big effort on the effort
    "Live Life"

Quote Originally Posted by La Vida View Post
    Thanks Daintreeboy, I will be going for the seagate for this update and then look at something like a catalina on a better rod when the misses isnt looking!!!

Great effort on the groper.. how long did it take to get in??? look forward to see the video.. that is a big effort on the effort
    The total fight time was around 45 minutes. I had less than 5 metres of line left and managed to turn him and slowly get him back to the beach. After some choice footage we snapped it off, no chance and no need to bring it onto the beach.

The Catalina is ceratinly a great reel but the smallest size is 4500 so if you do get it for the next cobo go for 50lb and heavier rod etc. I actually reckon a stella 5000SW would be a better option here.

You'll enjoy the seagate.