Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: What would change for rec fishos with a Campbell Newman led Government?

Re: What would change for rec fishos with a Campbell Newman led Government?

Nagg, there would have to be a completely different system to NSW for it to be worth while entertaining in QLD. Yes it could work but you could hardly say that NSW is well managed.

One term with decent level of funds from state gov't to kick start a number of initiatives like RFH's (buybacks) and stocking groups would be fantastic with RFL funds going into maintaining these things......
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    After several years - funds could be applied for by groups for say habitat regeneration , stocking or even facilities.
    If well managed .... it works

Chris
    This has been so churned through. Sounds great, huh? Who is responsible for naming the Trust Board? It has to be Government. How long before Government representatives are on the board? Not terribly long...

But this is just not the place for such a debate, is it?

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Nagg, there would have to be a completely different system to NSW for it to be worth while entertaining in QLD. Yes it could work but you could hardly say that NSW is well managed.

One term with decent level of funds from state gov't to kick start a number of initiatives like RFH's (buybacks) and stocking groups would be fantastic with RFL funds going into maintaining these things......
    I would not say that the NSW scheme is badly run ..... It is chaired by a popular fisherperson & it does have fisheries involvement
    Results achieved have been outstanding in certain areas - stocking / buyouts / research / etc

Chris

Here is a list of the members on the main advisory committee

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/...rf/about-acorf
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

While the RFL's might seem a good idea, what about participation?

How many people gave up fishing when they were told they had to buy a licence?? 20%, 30% more?? Just makes fisho's as a group smaller and less threatening on a political scale.

over 20% of rec fisho's gave up fishing the reef when the zoning came in in 2004, and that was without any extra fees added. An RFL will be the death of recreational fishing in QLD, let's face it, a lot of people are just to tight, especially with rego's having doubled, council rates going up 30% (Townsville anyway), getting taxed more and more every year directly or indirectly, puts a lot of pressure on the family budget and fishing as a 'luxury' activity will be the first to go.

So if you bring on an RFL, watch participation crumble and watch the greenies ban it altogether because we will be a much smaller and as i said a lot less threatening on the political scale. Then Ausfish and other fishing forums will be about 'back in the day' and not what we'll be getting upto on the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post
    Do you get the sense that the whole push by Campbell Newman to become State Premier has not been thought through?

eg

(a) He has now resigned as Lord Mayor and needs to find an income between now and the election. As Lord Mayor, he has not been overly well paid so I am assuming that at his age, he may still have a mortgage and perhaps his bank account is only so-so. All Bligh has to do is to delay the election as long as possible and unsettle him into doing extreme things by starving him. If he gets a sponsor, he is then open to ongoing carping criticism about being somebody's lap dog.

(b) By resigning as LM, he has now surrendered a terrific platform to gain publicity. Indeed, whilst he will get a share of media coverage, the advent of a new LM will take away some of his momentum as the new guy gets media attention.

Likewise, he has had the vehicle of a council database of people who receive regular council updates, one of which was a regular update in his name. He cannot take that list with him and has tried to leverage it before leaving council by inviting people to receive his new newsletter. The last thing that I want to receive is political junk mail so I have not taken up his invitational email and as a result, have received two reminders in the dying days of his term as LM.

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

(c) By leaving as LM at a light time in the news cycle, he has already attracted media articles critical of his time as LM, with emphases on tunnel cost over-runs and under-utilisation, amongst other things. That such has started so early gives Labor a good platform to constantly re-emphasize the negative elements of his Lord Mayoralty.

(d) He has taken on Ashgrove which, with a 7% Labor margin, is far from a shoe-in for him to win. That means that he will need to do much campaigning at a street level just to win the seat, if he can. That will diminish his capacity to work the phones to rally the existing sitting LNP troops who must be feeling like punching bags after having received such heavy handed intervention by the party administration in its coup to take out JPL and insert an outsider. Likewise his publicly state decision to dump existing LNP policy which cannot be received well by the sitting LNP members. To create new policy before the election will require a fair amount of workshopping which will take his focus away from winning the seat.

etc...

Just my observations. I do think that CN is the LNP's best option at this time but it does seem that the transition has not been thought through particularly well.

The simple fact is all those issues in my view are petty and insignificant in respect to the greater issue here. LEADERSHIP. His platform is to be the leader of a new season in the governance of QLD.

Thats the big idea. So all the other issues will be dealt with by all the team who already know this. The party Room gave him 100% endorsement.

This is only going to gain momentum, so all those philosophical queries will pale away.

Check out this link to see what Ofarrel is already doing to rattle the cage in NSW
    http://www.smh.com.au/environment/co...404-1cvzn.html
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

What has Happened to Mark Robinson, he seem to be missing in action atm ?

I am a bit concerned that CN stated last week he intended delivering a "greener" QLD Govt.!!!
    What does that mean???, more particularly ,What does that mean for Rec Fishing???.

No one knows, but I found it interesting that CN has made sure the public service has nothing to fear from him, more of the same it sounds like?
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by popgun19 View Post
    What has Happened to Mark Robinson, he seem to be missing in action atm ?
    His press liaison officer Timi will be along shortly to give us an update.

Just winding you up Timi.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    His press liaison officer Timi will be along shortly to give us an update.

Just winding you up Timi.
    Oh ha ha.

I actually did harass him late last week, and he said that Campbell has him and everyone else working at a feverish pace, and that he'd find it hard to get on here for a little while.

I'm sure he'll come along when he can, hopefully with an announcement we all are waiting for...

Cheers,

tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Hoo bloody ray Timi still has his sense of humour.

I was beginning to worry about you and your blood pressure levels.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Thumbs up Re: What would change for rec fishos with a Campbell Newman led Government?

Hey Timi , soh mate

Spring borg for BIGGEST PUMPKIN GROWER Minister

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Tim, why would you believe that LNP would never entertain a RFL? Entertain? thats a pretty broad word. It's like saying they wont "entertain" a single Green-zone in QLD. That would be a policy I think very very few fishers out there would see as intelligent policy...............
    Maybe??
    IF PLACED in the WRONG !!!...locations.
    Think about it ,would you accept their removal to a better place

Entertain an un-necessary NFZ ...
    yeah , like over my dead 'RecFisho' body ....

Gazza I swear you get stoned and your posts are about how much fun you can have with the pretty colours.

You made my point already and are way behind the reply.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

This election is not just about green zones, buy backs or possible RFL's it is about our lives and lifestyle. What about the cost of living and how we can afford to go fishing? If we have to pay more for electricity, food, health and to have a roof over our heads where will we get the money to pay for RFL's, registrations, fuel and tackle? It is not just about getting rid of Anna or getting Campbell to be premier, it is about what our government is imposing on us. We get hidden charges on our registration for the floods and cyclones and we sit here and whinge that Anna doesn't do a good job and we all praise Campbell saying he is the one and only leader, but even he has led brisbane into a spiralling debt with ongoing budget blowouts on the tunnels and bridges he was building. He has sold brisbane roads to companies who extract tolls on the average person who can little afford it. We need to have Leaders and not followers, and people who will be the voice of their community and not the ventriliquists dummies. We need answers and not speculation. All that we seem to be finding on this thread is supposition and speculation and not reality and answers to our questions if we believe the speculation and take it for the truth then we are kidding ourselves into a false reality. I know most of you support Campbell, believing him to be the answer but open your eyes and look around don't let your hatred for Anna blind you. Have a look at all the candidates and see who is prepared to work for you and the community.