Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: What would change for rec fishos with a Campbell Newman led Government?

Re: What would change for rec fishos with a Campbell Newman led Government?

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Tim, why would you believe that LNP would never entertain a RFL? Entertain? thats a pretty broad word. It's like saying they wont "entertain" a single Green-zone in QLD. That would be a policy I think very very few fishers out there would see as intelligent policy...............
    Why? I don't think the LNP will think of a Recreational Fishing License as Policy. They just won't. Call it shitting in the nest. It's just my opinion, as I have said, we will have to wait for policy to be published.

They may well "entertain" future Green Zones, if there is good Science to back it/them. Why wouldn't they?

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Thats what I meant. Of course they will "entertain" a green or other zone if there is a real need other than "some ###### in europe says 30% is needed" type ideology.

If there was a decent proposal put forward for a RFL then I would hope they would "entertain" it also. Doesn't mean they need to have a RFL as part of some sort of grounding policy.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

If the LNP are fair dinkum about Rec fishing , not only should they entertain the thought of a fishing licence ...... they should implement one.
    We all know deep down that this would be the only way for significant funds to be made available to improve the lot for the long suffering rec fishoe . In addition to taking advantage of the several hundred thousand anglers that travel to qld every year.
    Commercial buyouts should be first on the list ..... then research , development of aquaculture / restocking , improved facilities & better policing (fisheries) ....... within 5 years you would notice an improvement

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    If the LNP are fair dinkum about Rec fishing , not only should they entertain the thought of a fishing licence ...... they should implement one.
    We all know deep down that this would be the only way for significant funds to be made available to improve the lot for the long suffering rec fishoe . In addition to taking advantage of the several hundred thousand anglers that travel to qld every year.
    Commercial buyouts should be first on the list ..... then research , development of aquaculture / restocking , improved facilities & better policing (fisheries) ....... within 5 years you would notice an improvement

Chris
    I disagree completely.

An RFL is not a silver bullet and I wonder why people still consider it to be the only answer to funding fisheries work? We have a mechanism called the PPV which other states don't which is designed to facilitate this. From what I have heard thus far the new Minister is looking at how the PPV can be better utilised to fund more work in fisheries. I also know Labor are not looking at an RFL at all and that gets a tick from me for that decision for QLD anglers. Let's see if they build on that in a new policy.

Maybe they are listening......?
    Cheers,
    Chris

Chris, you reckon it would take that long? I can see many benefits in a RFL and depending what the funds are used for, it can have major improvements in the fisheries. My major concerns are (irrelevant of who impliments one) that the funds will not be used soley for the benefits of the fishing public. I would hate to see it used for say the provison of better boat ramps as I believe that is more appropriately directed from out boat and boat trailer regos as not everyone who owns a boat is a fisho. Even worst would for the funds to go into consolidated revenue.

If the government (any) can quarantine the funds for use things like appropriate buyouts, artis, restocking, habitat, etc (not just in the SE), then they will go a long way towards 'selling' the concept.

Steve

Do you get the sense that the whole push by Campbell Newman to become State Premier has not been thought through?

eg

(a) He has now resigned as Lord Mayor and needs to find an income between now and the election. As Lord Mayor, he has not been overly well paid so I am assuming that at his age, he may still have a mortgage and perhaps his bank account is only so-so. All Bligh has to do is to delay the election as long as possible and unsettle him into doing extreme things by starving him. If he gets a sponsor, he is then open to ongoing carping criticism about being somebody's lap dog.

(b) By resigning as LM, he has now surrendered a terrific platform to gain publicity. Indeed, whilst he will get a share of media coverage, the advent of a new LM will take away some of his momentum as the new guy gets media attention.

Likewise, he has had the vehicle of a council database of people who receive regular council updates, one of which was a regular update in his name. He cannot take that list with him and has tried to leverage it before leaving council by inviting people to receive his new newsletter. The last thing that I want to receive is political junk mail so I have not taken up his invitational email and as a result, have received two reminders in the dying days of his term as LM.

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

(c) By leaving as LM at a light time in the news cycle, he has already attracted media articles critical of his time as LM, with emphases on tunnel cost over-runs and under-utilisation, amongst other things. That such has started so early gives Labor a good platform to constantly re-emphasize the negative elements of his Lord Mayoralty.

(d) He has taken on Ashgrove which, with a 7% Labor margin, is far from a shoe-in for him to win. That means that he will need to do much campaigning at a street level just to win the seat, if he can. That will diminish his capacity to work the phones to rally the existing sitting LNP troops who must be feeling like punching bags after having received such heavy handed intervention by the party administration in its coup to take out JPL and insert an outsider. Likewise his publicly state decision to dump existing LNP policy which cannot be received well by the sitting LNP members. To create new policy before the election will require a fair amount of workshopping which will take his focus away from winning the seat.

etc...

Just my observations. I do think that CN is the LNP's best option at this time but it does seem that the transition has not been thought through particularly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Chris, you reckon it would take that long? I can see many benefits in a RFL and depending what the funds are used for, it can have major improvements in the fisheries. My major concerns are (irrelevant of who impliments one) that the funds will not be used soley for the benefits of the fishing public. I would hate to see it used for say the provison of better boat ramps as I believe that is more appropriately directed from out boat and boat trailer regos as not everyone who owns a boat is a fisho. Even worst would for the funds to go into consolidated revenue.

If the government (any) can quarantine the funds for use things like appropriate buyouts, artis, restocking, habitat, etc (not just in the SE), then they will go a long way towards 'selling' the concept.

Steve
    This one's a bit like daylight saving. Those are valid points Steve, but I have to agree with Chris. WHile I would like more money spent on fishing, I would PREFER it to be spent on hospitals, and roads. and maybe giving more money to help teachers cope with discipline breakdown. I am a cynic when it comes to government spending. I just can't see money raised from fishing licences being worth the curtailing of my freedom to go out fishing when I feel like it. I feel so rsetricted in everything I do these days that there's no way I can support anything that closes those bands any tighter.
    Let's face it, if the government wants to put money into fishing, they could do it now.
    I can't take the risk that a licence would be worth the added band of beaurocratic rope already wrapped around me. THe more rules, the less I like it.

The answer to the original thread question would have to be - No one knows for certain.

The answer to the rest of the discussion in the thread is

Thank God Flatline Langbroek is gone as leader.

The ALP has failed the people time and again, term after term.
    Fishermen - fail
    Education - Fail (compared to national/other states stats)
    Crime - Fail (from policing to sentencing)
    Health - Fail (especially if you were on the payroll)
    Economic Management - Fail
    Managing the Flood Appeal money - Fail

The ALP policies trotted out before every election said they would fix all of the above (apart from the last). The fact they kept saying it before each election points to the undeniable fact they failed in the previous term.

Eventually they had to get into bed with The Greens as more people realised the above fact. That was the last straw for fishing people and we continue to see the results every day.

All Newman has to do is say they will spend the first term sorting out how to adequately fund essential services before all else. I may even vote for the LNP myself if they do.

Steve
    Hi Steve,

I understand what you and many others are saying but my personal view is why should rec anglers dollars be used for buying out licenses where the Government receives the revenues from selling and managing the licenses in the first place? I don't for one second think my money should pay out for something a Government that has received payments for. I am effectively being taxed yet again, regardless of the benefits that may come. If any Government is true to their word about managing the fishery with reduced commercial effort as part of their policy, they need to allocate the funds out of existing mechanisms. The amount of fuel taxes received from boat owners is one source of revenues they can use.

Government quarantining anything funds related simply doesn't seem to happen regardless of who is in power fishing related or not. Even the existing SIP is starting to have issues where SEQ Water are pushing back to not allow restocking of some areas so natural stocking levels will need to take place which will take decades after the floods. If an existing mechanism like that is being restricted, what dictates the RFL won't suffer the same fate?

Maybe one day something will come along but it can't be based on the current management/government machinations found in Australia.
    Cheers,
    Chris

Well the NSW Libs have just quashed laws in that state that allowed Labor ministers to corruptly, wink wink, ideologically etc impose planing decisions on communities/people that never wanted or needed them....someone might now have to show some science.......

If this is the way of the Libs at state level now it's a big deal IMO for even us Anglers...CN had better follow suit and with luck do even better QLD is a basket case in this area.

Good news for family's the only building blocks available for community.

Charlieville I think the Brizzy Lord Mayor is on roughly 200K ATM, and Campbell has been there for over 7 years so I don't think he'd be living on baked beans for a while yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    Charlieville I think the Brizzy Lord Mayor is on roughly 200K ATM, and Campbell has been there for over 7 years so I don't think he'd be living on baked beans for a while yet.

That depends on what his cost of living is. Lots of people on $200k, a not too impressive wage in the corporate world, live to the limits and have no reserves.

Charlie,

All Bligh has to do is to delay the election as long as possible and unsettle him into doing extreme things by starving him.

You have to be taking the piss Charlie! Out of all of your hundreds of great posts on this forum that would have to be the most ridiculous.

Bloody good wind up though.....!

Did Finger put yo up to this one
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Pretty sure Clive will make sure he does not have to resort to grass soup for a feed.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Steve
    Well Steve .... I reckon it was 5 years before we saw real benefits in NSW - particularly the buyouts & for those rec only esturies to recover. Buyouts take time in both getting the funds together & the actual buyout. From memory in NSW - the Government lent the trust funds to start the buyouts and then it was paid back from the fees collected.
    A trust needs to be set up & managed by a committee made up of various regions / interest groups / fisheries etc) - set up a plan and get on with it.

After several years - funds could be applied for by groups for say habitat regeneration , stocking or even facilities.
    If well managed .... it works

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO