Thread: Rapala Clackin' Minnow

Rapala Clackin' Minnow

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone had tried replacing the hooks on the Rapala Clackin' Minnow's. I have been using them to catch barra's and like the lure but the hooks are useless, you can bend them out with your fingers. Does anyone know of a suitable replacement that doesn't effect the lures action or boyancy?

Cheers,
    Nidrac

Re: Rapala Clackin' Minnow

You could try some singles they're a lot stronger then trbles and the hookup rate is supposedly a lot better

hook up rate is slightly worse with singles IMO, but the hook ups seem to stick better.

Anyway, haven't used that lure from rapal, but plenty of other styles in that brand, I find the VMC 6X strong trebles in the corresponding sizes the way to go, don't forget to change the rings as well. I don't think they affect the action of the lure, but they really slow the float up, which is perfect for barra, almost suspending it's that slow. Depends on how the lure is 'tuned' from rapala, but you might find yourself having to go to a slightly smaller treble on some lures too. i found this was especially true on any japanese made lures like yo-zuri, they are already so finely tuned with the running gear they are supplied with that any upgrades (which are neccessary for barra) will sometimes make them sink like a stone....good for when you're fishing a deep hole but

cheers for that scott, the only thing is these lures are already weighted to be suspending as they are out of the packet which is why I am liking using them for barra and am a bit hesitant in changing the hooks over. Will have to see if i can find something of similar weight as the originals. Might have to go to singles, however never realy liked it as your loosing two points on each hook.

Nidrac

Try decoy trebles very strong but lighter then the owner st66's or VMC 6x