Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wiring for trailer winch ?

Re: Wiring for trailer winch ?

Hey Flex, please explain.?
    David

Think he is referring to several smaller wires instead of a larger one. Not a fan of the idea but theory says it works but if a wire is damaged in the bundle the others then carry the load and that is a problem. More crimps, fuses and more failure points.

Quote Originally Posted by cormorant View Post
    Think he is referring to several smaller wires instead of a larger one. Not a fan of the idea but theory says it works but if a wire is damaged in the bundle the others then carry the load and that is a problem. More crimps, fuses and more failure points.

Yeah thats pretty much it, You can run multiple cables instead of 1 big one. Generally I'd only run a max of 2, Not a huge drama really. Its especially useful if you only have equipment to crimp up to say 16-20mm yet you need a 40mm cable minimum.Also its alot easier running 2x16mm cables than a 32 or 40mm one

Also you can get away with a slight smaller cable size with parallel feeds due to skin effect. Im not sure on exact figures though, I'll have to go do some reading. Others more knowledgeable than me may know exact numbers.

Not to hijack the thread, but if anyone is interested, I have a new winch for sale, pm me for details.

Cheers