Thread: 4.30AM Walk produces Nice Murray Cod (report and Pic)

4.30AM Walk produces Nice Murray Cod (report and Pic)

The change of season weather is upon us, with a briskness now in the morning air not felt over the long summer months. A distinct change in the weather blew into town last week, which saw many of us reaching to the back of the cupboard to pull out the winter woollies, and many experienced Murray Cod fishermen off to the shed to grab their rod, reel and lures.
    Macquarie River:
    Mick Coad, Brett Kleppe, Daniel Withers and I hit the road at 4.30am on Sunday morning for a quick lure casting session on a Macquarie River reserve not far from Dubbo. After a brief early morning trudge through some thick under growth, it was time to start casting, and we were somewhat taken by surprise when Michael’s lure was smashed almost off the surface on the third cast! The fish didn’t hook up properly but it certainly made us forget about the cold! Half a dozen casts later and my spinnerbait was smashed only 10 feet from the rod tip, resulting in a solid hook up. The fish used the flowing run to its advantage, but a few moments later and negotiating the fish around a nearby snag, the grippers were snapped shut on its jaw and it was time for a photo.
    The next hour saw three hook ups from cranky cod that proved to tricky to land in the dense timer, but it made for a memorable lure casting session none the less.
    Matt Hansen

Re: 4.30AM Walk produces Nice Murray Cod (report and Pic)

cant wait for the long weekend comp, but hoping you dont get me hooked on cod fishing.

nice! would have been great fun. good fishing

awesome looking fish.
    figjam :wink: