Thread: spinning outfit for blue fin

spinning outfit for blue fin

hey guys i have a 15-24 live fibre i wanna buy a reel to put 30 to 40 pound on it for spinning for tuna and strong enough to spin for gts with around 60 to 80 pound.. braid of course and ideas will be great

Re: spinning outfit for blue fin

saltist 6500h would do the job
    cheers rosco

Price range is going to be the killer here. What range are you looking at?
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

Thats a lot of stick for the general run of Longtails but my mate just went through the same process looking for a reel to suit a 20kg Texalium LF. He looked seriously at Saragosas, Saltists etc but settled on a Quantum Cabo for about 1/2 the price. Its a quality reel with big fish capabilities with its main issue being weight
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

There are a lot of good spin reels in the market at the moment but none better than the SW Stella range. Most of the smaller ones are geared above 5 to1 with the 5000 at 6.2 to one. I have my doubts that the smaller sized Stella's will have the line capacity for enough 60 - 80 LB braid to chase many GT's though. Perhaps the 10000 model which has a retrieve rate of 5.8 to one i think would be the best choice. There are other more cost effective reels from both Shimarno and Daiwa but all will come second best when it comes to durability.
    With the dollar at an all time high these can be purchased from many overseas stores at quite a reasonable cost.
    No matter what you purchase it is going to have to be of the best quality or it will not take the punishment.
    Regards to all Dick

Spheros saragosa or the cabo are all good

You're going to struggle catching bluefin on that outfit. It can be done but considering most fish will be looking for 40 to 60 gram slugs it will be difficult to get a decent cast out. You really need two outfits for what you want I'm afraid to do it properly.
    The above suggestions for a reel are good with my vote going to the Gosa, probably the 14 or 18K sizes since you're looking at 80lb.

Try getting a cheap galss rod in the 3-6, 6-8 or 8-10 kilo range and a half decent spin reel to suit loaded up with suitable braid depending on choice of rod. Between 15 and 30lb for the rod choices listed.
    Not sure of your budget but a 4000 Shimano Symetre will do the job here. They perform really well for their price. Just don't expect them to stand up to the salt beyond a few years depending on how open the boat is.

thanks guys for the replys i will be on the rocks fishing.. and i know the outfit will be expensive but it is well worth it and a good setup wont bother me if it lasts a long time thanks