Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marking Crab Pots

Marking Crab Pots

I know how to mark ur pots, but my question is, if you have 2 people in your boat and you can have 4 pots per person, can only 1 person own all eight pots and only have his name and details on all pots, or must each person have their pots marked with their name?

cheers
    greg

Re: Marking Crab Pots

Yes they can be owned by 1 person, I Usually supply all crab pots when mates come fishing and have been pulled up before with no probs.

Cheers Lee

mate i have to disagree with leethal on this one as i have asked the local dpi this exact question. his response was yes one person can own all the pots but once they go in the water they must be marked with the person who is useing the pot. ie u must have different names on them. reason being it clearly states the only 4 pots per person at any one time to be clearly marked with users name,
    hope this helps,
    ps-i had the same issue when setting pots with my partner 8 pots all had my name on the pot but we had differnt names on the float,dpi pulled along side us an told us that even that was unnacceptable an all pots had to be marked correctly hope this helps

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_3065.htm

"In tidal waters, when fishing for blue swimmer crabs, mud crabs and spanner crabs, no more than four crab pots or dillies (or a combination of pots and dillies) may be used per person. Also a person must not possess more than four crab apparatus per person, on a boat on the water.
    Crab pots and dillies must be marked by an identifying tag bearing the surname and address of the owner."

I read that as "owner" not "user".

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post

"In tidal waters, when fishing for blue swimmer crabs, mud crabs and spanner crabs, no more than four crab pots or dillies (or a combination of pots and dillies) may be used per person. Also a person must not possess more than four crab apparatus per person, on a boat on the water.
    Crab pots and dillies must be marked by an identifying tag bearing the surname and address of the owner."

triple i have read this same info an told the dpi officer the exact same thing but he told me i was wrong an i have the offical written notice to prove it i ll see if i can scan it an post it up, i read it the same as u an thought the same thing but apparently i was wrong an arguing the fact with the officer was how i got my written warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post

wouldnt this mean that you cant own more that 4 pots, on the water, so if you had 8 pots the other 4 would have to be "owned" by the other person???

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

ok i have cleared this up i just rang the dpi an ur right mate they can all be owned an named by the one person,so u coud have 12 pots if u wanted to so long as u have 3 ppl on board an so on. but in saying this i was warned that if u have more then 4 pots in the water an u head out just to check your 4 an ur mates are still on shore or coming down later u will be fined the moment u touch ur pots if they see u, hope this helps

Thanks Dan,

If i ever got fined for it i would fight tooth and nail, i mean why would i take a mate that does not fish out for a crab and expect him to
    A: Either buy his own pots or
    B: have to change all of my id tags every time.

I own a crap load of pots (20+)crab pots plus 16 spanner crab pots, do i use them all at once, NO, but when i have 4 people on board, damn straight i use them all and i am the owner of the lot, no id tags changing thats for sure.

I have though lent 4 pots to a mate recently and they have my name on them as per regs, No doubt if he gets checked and asked for id he might be in a spot of bother, although they could check on me i doubt they would but who knows.

Cheers Lee

So what about borrowing a mates pots for a different mate?? We do it a bit between some of my friends. I've got 4 and go and borrow Old Mate 1 pots so that Old Mate 2 can come crabbing. Is this OK?

Went out crabing this morning and got 6 bucks and 4 big jennies which of course went back in but I was grieved to see the number of proffessional pots that were out in a single string!. Our enviroments cant keep this pressure up. Catching crab should be on a recreational ticket and not a prof license. I would love to see 4 pots per boat in action as this would surely help with crab numbers.

There are plenty of crabs around, i have a mate thats a Pro crabber and i have crabbed in the same area he has on numerous times, i have always pulled out crabs for a feed. So you saw a heap of pro pots and still got 6 bucks, Not bad hey???

Now for the people that like to eat seafood how would they get it if they dont own a boat??? We need to remember that no matter what happens this is there for everyone not just the few that have a boat!

Pros are limited to the amount of pots they have 50, thats it. And at times they struggle to catch just the same way we do.

Cheers Lee

Quote Originally Posted by lethal098 View Post
    Thanks Dan,

If i ever got fined for it i would fight tooth and nail, i mean why would i take a mate that does not fish out for a crab and expect him to
    A: Either buy his own pots or
    B: have to change all of my id tags every time.

I own a crap load of pots (20+)crab pots plus 16 spanner crab pots, do i use them all at once, NO, but when i have 4 people on board, damn straight i use them all and i am the owner of the lot, no id tags changing thats for sure.

I have though lent 4 pots to a mate recently and they have my name on them as per regs, No doubt if he gets checked and asked for id he might be in a spot of bother, although they could check on me i doubt they would but who knows.

Cheers Lee
    hey mate they also told me that if u are found pulling a pot without ur name on it an the owner of the pot is not with you u will also be in trouble, so i guess lending ur pots to a mate if ur not there may cause some confusion trying to explain it to the dpi officer thatt ur not stealing crabs/pots etc

Lightbulb Re: Marking Crab Pots

With the "crab review" , the topic is a fair question....

I don't like putting my "exact" physical address in my pots , cause it says "i have a boat" at my home address....... ......just consider

I would really LIKE to simplify "identification" & IF approached by Fisheries/Police, to prove ownership , and rightly so...Ican/could/would.

SURNAME...float
    in-the-pot......."Maybe" street(even spelt slightly wrong )/suburb/postcode.

jmo ,and not a criminal ,
    or a %$#%^%$%#$#@ Share-farmer

thanks everyone

Hi Lethal. I fished an area that he didnt fish. Seems its a better idea to do this thing as those pots sit there for days on end till the numbers go so low that he will then shift somewhere else. I hear that in NSW that there might only be allowed 1 pot per person in the boat. Phew flat out getting a feed out of that...... If people who dont fish or crab then they can always buy the imported ones. I guess alot of ours might go overseas as well. Thanks for your comments.