Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jigging master reels

jigging master reels

I haven`t liked lever drag reels for anything but trolling up to now, but the more I learn about Jigging Master reels, the more interested I get.
    I now have the oportunity (cash) to collect a couple of "nice " reels and these reels seem to have amazing performance for their size and weight.

Something I could use very comfortably with 65 pound braid for my reef fishing.
    I have had a look inside one and was impressed. Everything for reliable performance is there.
    So...does anyone have one, and what do you think of it? and, can you tell me where they are made?

Re: jigging master reels

Ill send you a pm mate,cheers

As you probably already know, JM reels are very highly regarded in the US and New Zealand, but have a read of this -
    http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f60/jm-...n-maxel-16864/

According to this thread on the US forum '360 Tuna', Jigging Master reels (and Studio Ocean Mark Blue Heaven reels) are made in China by the Chinese tackle company Maxel. Maxel also market these reels under their own name.

Here's a link to an Australian seller of these 'Maxel' labeled reels -
    http://australianangling.ezimerchant...egory350_1.htm

Also, Maxel's website -
    http://www.maxelfishing.com/about.html

Cheers,

Brent.

Follow the JM story right , THEY ARE NOT MADE IN CHINA . you will find these reels to be some of the best you have fished with , well machined , excellent drag , The JM reels we get are a bit differant then the new USA ones , due to a patient issue with Accurate the US models are single drag , the rest of the world is duel drag ,I own both Accurate and JM , and the JM are a far better reel , The biggest I have is a PE7 , soon to get a PE4, This is one brand of reel that will not let you down , you will be more than happy with it .

This is what I have been hearing from the few people I know who own one.
    Are they made in Taiwan?

Yes they are made in Taiwan , as are Alps rod building components , all well made stuff , you will not regret buying one . and you can troll with them , I do and have no problems .

I said JM reels were "very highly regarded", by which I meant, they aren't generally considered to be crap, wherever they're made. If the JM reels can withstand years of jigging for 30kg+ NZ kingfish and big US tuna, I'm sure they can handle the little sub-15kg kingfish we catch in SEQ waters.

I did another search, and found a thread on a NZ forum, where someone said the JM reels are hand assembled in Taiwan from components made by the Chinese company Maxel and using "parts made in Taiwan to strict JM specs", but it's anyone's guess where he got that information.

Here's the link -
    http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums...opic45649.html

On the US Forum 360 Tuna, there is a photo of an apparent prototype Jigging Master reel with "Maxel" written on the right side plate (next to the drag lever) and "Jigging Master" on the left side plate.

Check the photos on both pages -
    http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/...ing-72910.html

Interestingly, though, one person on Alan Tani's site has reported that he emailed Maxel, and they replied "We are afraid that we are not the producer for Jigging Master. We think JM reels are made in Taiwan". Surprising really, considering that their name can be clearly seen on the side of that Jigging Master reel in the previous link, and the fact that the Maxel and JM reels look almost identical.

Cheers,

Brent.

Brent , I stand corrected , You are right , they are machined in China to JM specs , then hand assembled in Taiwan ,

Ian

Well, I bought a Jigging Master PE8 and am impressed with the drag figures of this reel for it`s size, which is about the same as a Torium 20.
    It states 80pound max drag, which I probably won`t need half of, but nice to know it`s there. This is due to the double disc wet carbon drag that is very similar to what Accurate use.
    Designed as a pure jigging reel, it has a one way roller bearing and two spring loaded pawl and ratchet anti reverse system.
    No, not a silent anti reverse, which does not suit some people, but there is a new model which does have a mute "docking system".
    These reels are designed purely for braid, hence the model designations and are astheticly IMO beautiful. The T bar handle is a work of art itself.

I have plans to take it out to the coral sea next year to try for a dog tooth tuna, but may take it to the Swains this September.

great post on the jig master reels. They look great. would love to try one out. Who sells them on the gold coast?
    What day of the week is it?

Here are two sites for you to look at , www.huntingfishingandcamping.com and www.jigtalk.com lots of info , the first site is owned by Andrew Cox , top bloke will go out of his way to help , and yes I am one eyed when it comes to JM, I love them .

JM reduced.jpgCouldn`t resist the pe5 narrow

Quote Originally Posted by reggy View Post
    That will be my next one , plus a PE10 .

Quote Originally Posted by reggy View Post
    Hows your JM reels going reggy? i want to buy one within the week so i keen to hear soem feedback before i part with my money
    What day of the week is it?

PE10 Ian. What the hell are you chasing with that!?!