Thread: Circle Hooks for KG Whiting, anybody else tried them?

Circle Hooks for KG Whiting, anybody else tried them?

Hi Guys,
    A mate put me on to circle hooks for KG Whiting, appear to stop them swallowing the hook and lip hook-ups appear to be the norm,

Only down side is the hooks are not great at retaining pipis

Regards,
    Gary

Re: Circle Hooks for KG Whiting, anybody else tried them?

Huh never considered it but since circles became popular I have lived outside of good whiting territory.

You sure the hookup is about the same? from my own testing for whatever reason the cirlcles don't quite live up to their reputation on smaller species or smaller versions of bigger species...what size circle suits?

Hi Gary,

I use 1/0 Black Magic circles, generally with fresh yabbies. They hook the whiting great, generally through the top lip. Very easy to remove the hook, compared to long shanks.

My hookup rate has increased, which is good, but they can be hard to bait, especially with an angry live yabbie .

Cheers,
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    You sure the hookup is about the same?
    Yes, I'm sure the hook-up is better,
    I'm using size 6 Owner's
    Regards,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    Hi Gary,

I use 1/0 Black Magic circles,
    Tks Ben, will give the Black Magic ones a go as well
    Regards,
    Gary

I used to use circles a lot, but these days I have slowly changed back to "normal" hooks for all sorts of fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I used to use circles a lot, but these days I have slowly changed back to "normal" hooks for all sorts of fishing.
    Any reason?
    Regards,
    Gary

It just sort of happened, I seemed to get a better hook up rate with standard hooks on fish like Whiting (very small mouth) and it just sort of expanded into my other fishing, I have very few circles in my tackle box at all now, same went for braid, over time, I just sort of replaced all the braid untill I use mono exclusively now, (again) just kind of happened, now before anyone starts berating me and whinging about hook up rates and stretch and all that sort of stuff, just re-read the post, I have been there and done it, fishing gear and styles is a personal thing, what I like, someone else does not, OK!

Tks Noel,
    Great to hear both sides of the coin,
    Not totally convinced with the whiting yet but it is looking good,

A point to note, my fishing buddy does not "strike" but lifts the rod gently and never misses, have a feeling there is some strength to technique with the circles,

Found them perfect for snapper, guaranteed! As for whiting, I think I have to learn better technique but the circles do appear to be a better strike rate

Regards,
    Gary

For Snapper I used to just leave the rod in the holder and have the drag set kind of "firm" and did not have much drama with hooking the fish, but even on Snapper outfits now, I have gone back to "old fashioned" 92554 Mustad 4/0 suicides, Whiting on the beach is 100% long shank "J" hooks now.

Tks Noel,
    Regards,
    Gary

Hi
    Watched an episode of Adventure Bound Last Saturday night and he was using circle hooks for kg whiting in Port Phillip.
    Think a size 1 kd or something like that.
    Have been using small circles up here every now and then instead of the long shank 4 or 6 I normally use.
    Still prefer my old rig and hooks. A matter of what you like yourself.

Ronnie

Jury still out in my boat but,
    Indication more hook-ups so far, and
    They have not been swallowing the hooks, PITA when they are under size and the complications that come with a release that has a hook stuck down deep
    Regards,
    Gary

BTW, looked left, boat looks great
    Last edited by GLXMAN; 24-03-2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: forgot,