Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Somerset Redclaw on Fire

Somerset Redclaw on Fire

Just spent the last three days at Kirkleigh and had the option of selecting which redclaws I wished to keep for tucker. They're everywhere and big and I was only going a couple of hundred metres from camp.
    Just about perfect as my mate had his new 4bee and tinny on their first outing and he was in heaven.
    Mid-week recommended!

Re: Somerset Redclaw on Fire

They are on fire everywhere at the moment, spent a couple of hours with nephew on the bank at North Pine on Sunday morning and got 160 without a problem, bugger all travel, no fuel in boat and stole the fruit from the sisters fridge! easy as

Cheers Lee

I live just outside Dayboro but refuse to join the fishing/boating monopoly on North Pine. I mean I can put my canoe in the North Pine river just down from home but I can't enter the lake without belonging to the previous mentioned monopoly. If I stayed inside the original river course wouldn't I still be in the river?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Squiggles View Post
    I live just outside Dayboro but refuse to join the fishing/boating monopoly on North Pine. I mean I can put my canoe in the North Pine river just down from home but I can't enter the lake without belonging to the previous mentioned monopoly. If I stayed inside the original river course wouldn't I still be in the river?
    No and hope that you have a sip.
    It is because of the people who run the boating access sscheme that you have such a supurb fishery on your doorstep
    Have a good look at the PRFMA website to see what they do for the fishery and community.
    You can hardly call it a monopoly when permits are available to anyone who wishes to pay a low $100 for the permit and all monies raised goes into stocking the dam unlike somerset/wivenhoe where the permit monies go straight to SEQ water.
    Cheers
    Ray

Ray
    Thanks for your comment. I have mates who are members of North Pine and I am fully aware of the efforts involved. They do a great job.
    I was a little terse, perhaps, in my previous correspondence.
    I just have a little trouble coming to grips with having to pay for a supposedly public amenity.
    I'm not against paying for any fishing permit ( I bass fish quite regularly around Armidale area so pay for Qld & NSW permits) but am against not being able to canoe/sail around Samsonvale.
    With a canoe you don't need any amenities.
    Cheers
    Steve

Mr Squiggles,

I know where your coming from mate.

I have a sip which allows me to fish any freshwater lake, dam thats in its jurisdiction.

Wivenhoe Dam's Billies Landing and Hays Point is a sore point with me. How can a public utilility be leased or sold to a the Brisbane Valley Sailing Club or who ever controls it requires a person to become a member, attend one or two of its meetings at the organisations place for meeting.

All this for a a one off joing fee then an annual membership fee to obtain a key that you may only fish that area maybe a few times a year as supposed to someone that is hardcore.

This sailiing club does not restock the area and therefore why should people have to depart with hard earned dollars to use a spot to an organisation that caters for sailing club. I have no interest in sailing. I'm a powerboat person, I like to get myself out of trouble quicker when I can see a problem brewing in the wind.

It has been common practice for years for different oganisations to have exclusive access to SEQ dams for their members.
    Lake kurwongbah has a rowing club and a waterski club and you have to be a member to put a boat on the water.
    Rowing club membership is around $300 per year.
    Lake Sampsonvale Watersports Assn has access to part of North Pine and membership is around $250.
    These clubs are not allowed to fish in the dams.
    Kilcoy fishing club has their own lease area in Somerset that you can launch from.its around $50 per year from memory.Plus sip and boating access permit from Seq water
    Grand wivenhoe fishing club has their own lease area.Plus sip and boating access fees from seq water.
    Cominya used to have its own area. ( Dont know if it is still in existance)
    Cheers
    Ray

Ray,

I dont know why the excessive fees though for some parts. One would think they would reduce the price of entry to those who are not involved with the club's competitions, sports or regular meetings i.e. for those directly involved with the organisation.

I think myself its another way of private organisations to charge like a wounded bull, bit like monopoly.

Cheers, Peter

I dont think that $50 is excessive for access to Billies bay. I was an associate member there for several years but had to give it up with the increasing cost of fuel as i couldnt afford to drive to both North Pine and wivenhoe several times a week.
    The only time I had to attend was the sign on day at the commencement of each season when a new key was issued and a deed of agreement had to be signed. ( this is a legal document that is a condition of their lease and imposed by SEQ water and is also a requirement of The Prfma boating access scheme.
    I also copied the post and emailed it to a friend who is a member of the sailing club and this is his response via email. ( He is not a member of ausfish so cant respond himself)

"The Brisbane Valley Sailing Club welcomes input from members of the fishing community and the public as a whole on the management and access to the Hays Landing/Billies Bay area. Unfortunately some of what has been printed in this thread to date is incorrect which often happens on many bulletin board posts resulting in hysteria of sorts.

If you have a query or concern, then I welcome an email addressed to brisvalleysailing@hotmail.com marked attention Greg and I will personally respond to all legitimate issues you raise.

Cheers
    Ray

Ray,

$50.00 bucks is a bit steep especially if you only frequent once or twice, different story if you go there on a regular basis. as you said, cost of fuel these days as opposed to when it was 90 cents a litre

Billies landing and Hays inlet have people employed within SEQWater to clean the area as part of their duties and get paid. I dont think Brisbane Valley Association cleans the facilities. i.e. garbage bins. The amenities i.e. toilet block for a number 2 use to be freely available but you need a key for that too.

Why would Brisbane Valley close that up especially when you need a key to enter the gate?

I'm not aware of any grafiti or persons overdosing or dying in there (I use to do surveys on behalf of SEQWater).

Thats ok Ray, I'll email Greg tomorrow.

Cheers, Peter

hi guys,
    if i was to take the kids to north pine dam & try for some redclaw off the bank do i need have a licence or permit?
    cheers shubeej

Shubjee,

You dont need a permit or a licence to catch redclaw but you will need to have your name, address and phone number on the pots and float.

You only need a SIP if you are targetting freshwater fish

Also, with NPD, you can only go to areas that are not out of bounds to the general public.

I hope you do well
    Cheers, Peter

thanks pete went out yesterday & bought some pots so over the next couple of weeks hope to hit them .
    cheers
    shubeej

For the day I would use the little tins of cat food you get for about 85c. Just crack the ring pull open alittle to let the juices out. This saves a lot of time with re-baiting.
    Good Hunting
    Steve

Shubeej,

How did you go the other day from the banks?