Thread: Tica Gemini 300

Tica Gemini 300

In 2005 when I was in PNG I ordered a TICA Gemini 300 baitcasting reel, thinking it might be ok for PNG Black Bass fishing.

But when the reel arrived it was bigger & bulkier than I thought it would be, so I left it in the box.

For my main reels there, I ended up using a Penn 965 International, a Shimano Calcutta 400 and a Daiwa Blacksheep 300 (all similar in size).

Now its 2011 and the Tica Gemini is still in the box - well, not quite as I used it once out from Dubai in the Arabian Sea catching a few small sweetlip lookalikes.

Anyway, point is I was thinking of either selling it OR giving it away to a local fisho bloke over here, who is keen but doesn't have much gear. OR, maybe I should just hang on to it...!!

I was reading a thread on another fishing chat site about the Tica Gemini 300 and there was a debate about the similarities between the Tica 300 and the Shimano Calcutta 700.

One guy argued black & blue that the TICA had 90% identical internal components to the Calcutta 700. Same screws and everything. The main differences were the external cosmetics, the click-click star drag & the handle.

He reckons that Tica used to help design/develop/manufacture the Calcutta before branching out on their own - hence similar Shimano technology. The Tica 300 is way less than half the price of the Calcutta 700.

So, is it True? Does anyone know?

How close are the Tica Gemini 300 and the Calcutta 700? If at all...
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."

Re: Tica Gemini 300

I don't know about the Tica/Shimano crossover........could be possible.
    The Calcutta 700 had a few issues mainly anti reverse or lack there of and also when running heavy braid say 50-80 lb and locked up with drag and thumb they would bend the spool shaft.The 700 was'nt as reliable as any of the other Calcuttas.

I know someone that bought a few Tica reels for charter work a few years ago and they all ended up with pretty bad corrosion problems early on.I don't think they even got 12 months out of them

I had a first model Calcutta 700 A. It only had a one way roller bearing for it`s anti reverse, no ratchet and pawl. The B series have a ratchet and pawl as well as the one way bearing and they also changed the plunger clutch button on top of the reel to a lever.
    The 700A was really only meant for up to 10kg mono.
    The problem I had with it was the width of the reel and the excessive distance between the body and the handle. The gear sleeve was too long.

Dam had a reel which was similar to one of the smaller Ticas, and it was very similar to the Calcuttas, except for the materials used.
    I think it was made in Korea, 200LC comes to mind.

Hmm, rotary hoe. I guess there's not really much evidence about the similarities then.

I'll probably just hang on the the thing in case I need an overhead style reel with a half-decent line capacity for light trolling & chucking a few in-shore lures for tailor & the like.

FYI.....The Tica factory have been making reels for most of the 'mainstream brands' for years. Like any of the good chinese manufacturers.....they can make reels to any spec you want to pay for.

So all in all maybe they're not three bad..!

I just hope that one day I'll get to put the thing through its paces & see for myself.

Steer clear of Tica. I have sen quite a few problems with their baitcasters. namely corrosion and durability.