Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Offshore Reel Fishing Up To 60m

Re: Offshore Reel Fishing Up To 60m

Just read a very good tutorial on the Torsa40 on Alan Tani`s site. Beautiful reel.
    It is a shame they didn`t use the same anti reverse on the smaller models.
    That is the vulnerable spot on them.
    Last edited by reggy; 13-03-2011 at 08:09 AM. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by reggy View Post
    Hi Anthony
    What are the other reels that you have tried?
    FA and SW Stellas (These are great reels and recommended, i think the older FA models are built tougher than the newer SW models)
    6500 Baitrunners
    8000D & 12000D Baitrunners
    Torium
    Tyrnos 30 (good but the drag isn't all that smooth)
    Penn Spinning Reels (drag no good after only a couple of fish)

It is also important to note that I fish with braid, and moreso than ever this is when you need a very smooth drag when running 10kg+ otherwise you will loose more fish than you land IMHO.

I have also found the G-Loomis Pelagic and Pro Blue rods very good and have a great action for this type of fishing. And if purchased from the US they aren't any more expensive than a Live Fibre.

well it sounds like you have found your reel. I like the changable drag cams with the Torsa, great idea. All the best.
    Reggy

Plenty of love here for the Torsa. I've had mine for five years.

I think the whole interchangeable cam thing was a bit over-marketed. The Talicas come with two cams, one for heavy braid and the other for 20lb mono. From what I understand Shimano has loads of unsold cams.

I like the Torsa so much I am getting a custom built Garry Howard on a Calstar Grafighter GF700h for it .

I have tried a couple of different cams, I like the BFS50 for bottom bashing as you can go to strike to get the fish off the bottom and then back slightly once you have the fish coming. It is a very useful drag curve and allows use of near freespool with the rachet on if you want your rod in the rod holder. When running a lot of drag you can't do this with the standard LRS cam.

I usually only fish the lever to strike, unless i need more then i go past it, but i set my drag on the strike button.

Very tough reel and one of the best overheads out there for bottom bashing i reckon, plus you have the option of the various cam's if you want to use it for trolling in summer.

I have matched mine to 20-30lb, 7"6 G Loomis Pelagic PSR90-25C SU. Absolutely great rod, nice and soft in the tip but a lot heavier than a 30lb rod in the butt, and overall a great action.

Anthony

You must have got a dud Stella SW Anthony!! The new SW version is highly regarded and accepted as better than the older FA series.

As for the original post Black Rat if you are only going to run 50lb consider the 6000 to 8000 sized Saragosa. In that depth of water there is no way any red is going to spool you. The lighter reel will feel a lot better.
    Personally unless you are fising really reefy country 50lb should do it and then you could get a lighter rod to make a great combo instead of the sledgehammer required with 80lb.

I have a 6000 sized Shimano Twinpower with 50lb braid and a bigger Daiwa Saltiga Expedition with 80lb braid.
    I nearly always go for the 50lb outfit as it's much more of a pleasure to use than the bigger heavier outfit. Some spots we have though do call for it.

Twinpower SW - Model TP8000SW Retrieve Ratio 5.6:1 Retrieve Per Crank (cm) 116 Max Drag (kg) 25 Nylon Capacity (kg/metres) 5/297, 7/169 Power Pro Capacity (lb/metres) 40/254, 50/252 ARB Bearings 10 Weight (grams) 605

I like and but not in my price range

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Twinpower FC series and the SW series ?

Bloody decisions, decisions !

Damo, Mine is another vote for the Saragosa. Mine is the 12000, though it is exactly the same as the 18000 but with a lower capacity spool. It takes 300m of 50lb (unlike Tangles venetian blind cord. zzz spooled). I matched mine with a live fibre 15-24kg. Came in at about $500.00 for the combo. Maybe just a little more.

It has a lot of grunt, and even when winding up at the end of a drift with a 12 or 16 ounce snapper sinker, just turn the reel 90 degrees right, rest it on your gut, and winch away. Makes retrieval really easy.

Has a very comfortable handle as well.

If you were using it for your GT and queenie chasing, you could either get a less stiff rod, but that would not be as good for bottom bashing depths, or get another rod later for that purpose. The Saragosa will be just as happy on the new rod.

Cheech.

Mate you could buy 2 x Penn 950ssm combos for your budget, plus some decent rods.

The 950SSM runs good out on the reef, fast retrieve for slugs and poppers, heavy duty drag system for bottom bashing and virtually bulletproof and very easy maintenance.

I run 2 of them onboard and regularly tackle reefies to 15kg+ and even 5 foot Bronzies.....
    Fillet and Release Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Rat View Post
    Twinpower SW - Model TP8000SW Retrieve Ratio 5.6:1 Retrieve Per Crank (cm) 116 Max Drag (kg) 25 Nylon Capacity (kg/metres) 5/297, 7/169 Power Pro Capacity (lb/metres) 40/254, 50/252 ARB Bearings 10 Weight (grams) 605

I like and but not in my price range

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Twinpower FC series and the SW series ?

Bloody decisions, decisions !
    Mate there is a big difference between the two. The SW models are a very close version to the Stella with a few slight changes to the materials used in the gearing and less bearings.
    The FC has less again and does not have the same drag as the Stella where the SW twinpower does.

That's not to say they are not a great reel though. I have a 10000 FC and it is an awesome reel. It's a 6000 sized reel with a slightly bigger spool. I wouldn't use it for 80lb but it's perfect for 50lb and it's my go to reel for chasing reds.

Compared to some of the other reels you are looking at the FC is waterproof (not just the drag) which is a big plus.
    It's far superior to the Saragosa but does cost a lot more too.

Torsa gets my vote . I use the 16 and the 30 although my accurate 870 2speed is awesome too. I've yet to try my new accurate 400 2speed.Spinning accurate 12 is awesome. Theres a lot of good gear out there second hand if you wait and are persistent.
    GRAHAM

Looking at upgrading th TLD 20 for similar purposes. It has been a great reel but is starting to show its age a touch- drag is still perfect.
    After spending yesterday pulling big trevally, cobia and reds from 50m Im a bit sore- mostly from the reel smashing into the inside of my wrist when a fish takes a big lunge. Because of this I would like something with a deep but narrow spool.
    Also on the wish list is 2 speed cos constantly winding up big weights to rebait is a bit of a drag with a ratio of around 4.5:1.

I like the look of the Avet 6/4 which is light, has 2 speeds, great drag and sturdy iternals. Also the FinNor Marquessa maybe a size 12 looks great but on the heavey side and one speed. The feel of these reels is probably the best I've experienced in a tackle shop- Im sure they would stand up under heavy going. Can get both off ebay landed in Aus for under $300. Looking around 450-500 in Aus.

i bought a torsa 30 damo sick of the big bulky tyronos 30 havnt used it yet but it feels vvvvvvv nice!!! if all else fails looks the goods anyways!

A big thumbs up here on the Torsa as well but they are a little heavy still. Even the 16 is 825 grams. Lighter than the Tyrnos but if you are after a lighter overhead reel the Torsa may not be it.

Wilson venom & Fin-nor offshore + 80lbs braid ........ good red dragger and it doesn't break the bank.