Thread: what line to use

what line to use

Planned my first ever trip to NT for some Barra fishing. (life long dream)
    I got rods, reels, lures and hooks sorted, but I dont have a clue what is the best type of line or breaking strain I should use.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated.

cheers. Pottsy

Re: what line to use

30lb power pro (braid), its what I use after trying many other and so far the best. Tie that in with 40-60lb jinkai mono leader

Gday once bitten i use 30 finns braid up here on my baitcasters mate plenty of stopping and turning power and good to tie.Most decent quality braids willl do the business though mate.Gonna be a cracker run-off this year.Yeeeee haaa When are you heading up and where are ya fishin ?
    "I would rather cut off my own ding dong than admit alcohol is not food" William Murderface-Metalocalypse

Cheers for the quick response guys.
    30 lb braid and 60 lb leader was about what I was thinking, just had to make sure as I didn't want to have to worry about last minute changes to my set up due to wrong guesses
    there is my 16yr old (birthday present) me and my bro who lives in Gladstone. We're heading up on 1st may for about two weeks and going to start at a place called borroloola or shady camp creek. Then who knows. Might do a bit of shooting while we are there as well but moreso fishing.
    PS I'm travelling from Wollongong NSW, hence the excitment.
    Tight lines boys

Yeah I'd have to agree, around 30lb braid is a good balance between line strnegth and casting ease and you'll be able to handle most things with that.

I pretty much don't go below 60lb Jinkai when fishing where you're expecting barra. they just rub through lighter stuff too easily. We still loose the odd fish even on 60lb but 80lb starts to get too thick and visible for more subtle work sometimes needed up in the mangroves..

hope this helps..

Quote Originally Posted by once_bitten View Post
    Cheers for the quick response guys.
    30 lb braid and 60 lb leader was about what I was thinking, just had to make sure as I didn't want to have to worry about last minute changes to my set up due to wrong guesses
    there is my 16yr old (birthday present) me and my bro who lives in Gladstone. We're heading up on 1st may for about two weeks and going to start at a place called borroloola or shady camp creek. Then who knows. Might do a bit of shooting while we are there as well but moreso fishing.
    PS I'm travelling from Wollongong NSW, hence the excitment.
    Tight lines boys
    Just starting to pack for our Borroloola trip ........ I'm going with 20 & 30lb outfits with between 40-60lb leaders ( Fluorocarbon & mono)
    We like the lighter braids for casting smaller lures 80-100mm and this is where we also like the lighter leaders
    ........ but 60 is a safe bet for the typical fish you'll encounter.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Once bitten have you got a boat mate or are you land based. If you want to PM me a few weeks before ya head up i can let ya know how the rivers in the gulf(around borolloola) are running as i am doing a trip to the roper as soon as i can get out there. I also fish the Mary river (shady camp) quite regularly so will be able to give ya a hint or 2 there too. Some good pigs out the gulf way too mate
    Cheers Rob
    "I would rather cut off my own ding dong than admit alcohol is not food" William Murderface-Metalocalypse

Hey bud....load up with 30lb fins and 55lb schnieder leader for your casting outfit and 50lb fins with 70lb schnieder on your trolling gear,

i've used this combination for many years (especially the schneider) and have had very few let downs.

Trolling deeper divers in our rivers means your going to encounter either barnicals or oysters.......having a 10+kg barra bulldozing through a snag and rubbing the leader along a oyster encrusted branch is part of the game........I've seen too many good fish dropped by others that want to use soft leader because it ties easy knots........schnieder is hard wirey and can be difficult to use for the first few attempts..........learn to use it......it's the best by a long shot........it's cheap aswell.

Good luck with the trip,

Dan........

Quote Originally Posted by Dan5 View Post
    Hey bud....load up with 30lb fins and 55lb schnieder leader for your casting outfit and 50lb fins with 70lb schnieder on your trolling gear,

i've used this combination for many years (especially the schneider) and have had very few let downs.

Trolling deeper divers in our rivers means your going to encounter either barnicals or oysters.......having a 10+kg barra bulldozing through a snag and rubbing the leader along a oyster encrusted branch is part of the game........I've seen too many good fish dropped by others that want to use soft leader because it ties easy knots........schnieder is hard wirey and can be difficult to use for the first few attempts..........learn to use it......it's the best by a long shot........it's cheap aswell.

Good luck with the trip,

Dan........
    I have used just about every leader available and yet I cannot find a better leader then Schneider. I use pink 55lb Schneider and I cannot fault it.

I love myschneider and will never use anyother leader when chasing big barras!

Cheers,
    Nick