Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: where to buy casting resin?

Re: where to buy casting resin?

Quote Originally Posted by fish'n'chippy View Post
    ian,
    somewhere i will still have all my original plugs and also the molds
    which lure was it ?

it's been a long time since i used to make them commercially, now they must be as rare as rocking horse 5h!t.........they might actually be worth something

grahame
    Rare all right Grahame! And they'll shit all over some of the Crap that's out there at the moment! Sent you a PM.

Cheers Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Fish n chippy, you might have to find those guides again they are about 1/2 my age .
    Graham LOL

Quote Originally Posted by finding_time View Post
    Actually we should have a lure making day for those that are interested, the Rod binding days seem to work well so this could be a go'er. Like fish'n'chippy i've made plenty but i'm sure i would learn a few tips off other people.

There are definately a few tricks that would only take a minutes to show but would take forever to explain on here!
    I'd vote for a lure making day, there are a few questions I have, such as..... I think I need a small hollow tube to fit into the centre shaft because the mounting cardboard for the eyes may be exposed to moisture because of where it is positioned. The resin may or may not have covered it in each head I make. Will moisture start mould or discolouration from the inside out? Where to get a small plastic tube small enough.....

On another note, I added two more photos, I found glitter that I glued to the eye mouting board and cast another. My crappy photography doesn't really show it, but the sparkle from the glitter should help attract fish to it.

Scalem

I originally used brass tube for the inserts but later changed to a Chuppa Chup stick
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

go to a balloon supplier and buy a bunch of sticks from them
    the small diameter sticks are good for light tackle leaders and the large diameter ones are good for heavy tackle leaders.
    saves you eating 000's of chuppa chups..
    http://www.balloonagencies.com.au/wh...cts.asp?id=166

why would you use cardboard in the heads ?
    the most important thing that i found about lure heads is the size of the eye. consistantly lures with the largest eyes were the go, it may have been the fact that being lighter (less resin more air) gave them more action (for pushers).

grahame
    S***fish & chippy

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    I originally used brass tube for the inserts but later changed to a Chuppa Chup stick
    Horse, you might be onto something, but have created a whole new set of questions

How do I attached the hook now?
    What flavour will the fish prefer? This one is strawberry!

Scalem

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem View Post
    Horse, you might be onto something, but have created a whole new set of questions

How do I attached the hook now?
    What flavour will the fish prefer? This one is strawberry!

Scalem
    That looks like a good lure for a sucker fish

Ian

It looks like the rep for all snapa fishos, did you need any vaseline for the insertion scale m

Here is the final result with the assistance of Dayoo. These two prototypes will be getting a dunking on Saturday. Darnside better product than silicon skirts IMHO, as far as durability is concerned. But will they catch fish? I'll have fun trying!

Scalem

They look good scalem, Ive been making them from the nylon and flash material for about a year now, theres a few tricks ive found which might help.

if you put the skirt on to thick it grabs on the fishes teeth and around the hook setup and gets quiet twisted, you can also tie and reverse the skirt which gives it a pulsating effect, ive found the dolfinfish really like that one in the light bue colour

as for the strength the stuff your using is ok but the old fashioned nylon they use on mackerel wogs for many years is far better but not quiet as good looking, overall less is more.

home lure making is fun, no doubt about it, but it is very time consuming, after a while you learn (as was pointed out) that all the pretty "bling" makes no difference, except to the fisherman, I posted once that I used to make my own stainless jigs and casting slugs, and after painting them with every sort of spray gun and type of paint ever made, I found that unpolished, dull stainless works just as good (and maybe better) than the fancy ones I turned out! I will put up a picture tomorrow (if I remember to take it tonight) of a stainless jig I found during a clean up that has the hook on a dacron line tied to the top of the lure, this was in the early 80's maybe.

There is more to pretty bling skirts than you might think noel, sure the pretty part is quiet likely true but there is also a considerable weight difference between 2 heavy silicone skirts and featherlight kflash fibre, more action from the lure and better hookup rate has been my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    home lure making is fun, no doubt about it, but it is very time consuming, after a while you learn (as was pointed out) that all the pretty "bling" makes no difference, except to the fisherman, I posted once that I used to make my own stainless jigs and casting slugs, and after painting them with every sort of spray gun and type of paint ever made, I found that unpolished, dull stainless works just as good (and maybe better) than the fancy ones I turned out! I will put up a picture tomorrow (if I remember to take it tonight) of a stainless jig I found during a clean up that has the hook on a dacron line tied to the top of the lure, this was in the early 80's maybe.
    Look forward to seeing your lure Noel, as far as the "time consuming" part, so is everything to do with fishing, but this aspect of it actually goes in bite sizes, for me anyway. The prep of the eyes, mouting on the central piece.... Maybe 10 mins? From placing into the mould, mixing of the resin and pouring, maybe 15mins? The curing process is set and forget, in a few hours the head is ready to come out of the mould. While that was happening, I stay in communication with my family, make the missus and myself a cuppa while I sit at the table and tie the bling on. If I was doing it commercially ..... that's a different story, so I think we need to make the distinction - private to save money vrs commercial to make coin out of it are two different tangents. I have a full time and demanding job, so MYO lures is enjoyable and relaxing, and unless anything changes my full time work, that is all it will ever be. I would have to make thousands of these to replace the income I have with my employment.

BTW, Grahame referred to balloon agencies earlier as an alternative to Horse sucking on chuppa chups.... Balloon agencies are a distributor and won't sell the hollow stick to you directly.. and the smallest diameter stick they have is called the "micro stick" which is still larger than a chuppa chup stick, but not by much. They will refer you to "Party Works" at Underwood, opposite wow sight and sound who can sell them to you for $9.00. There is enough there for 10 years worth of tubes... I'll let you guys know if they are suitable once I pick them up, but who cares if I blew $9.00 for nothing. Anyone want to make chuppa chups?

Scalem

I thought it was a pretty tough image with the Chuppa Chup hanging out the side of the mouth in a Telly Sevalas "Kojak" sort of way.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem View Post
    ............BTW, Grahame referred to balloon agencies earlier as an alternative to Horse sucking on chuppa chups.... Balloon agencies are a distributor and won't sell the hollow stick to you directly.. and the smallest diameter stick they have is called the "micro stick" which is still larger than a chuppa chup stick, but not by much. They will refer you to "Party Works" at Underwood, opposite wow sight and sound who can sell them to you for $9.00. There is enough there for 10 years worth of tubes... I'll let you guys know if they are suitable once I pick them up, but who cares if I blew $9.00 for nothing. Anyone want to make chuppa chups?

Scalem
    they are the sticks you want, i used to be able to get them direct with an ABN..........years ago
    you will get 4 heads from each length or 3 if you are a bit wasteful. (i used them as stirring sticks as well)
    TIP: easiest way to cut the sticks is to roll them with a knife just scoring the stick and then snap with your fingers. this way you don't crush the stick.
    you haven't blown your $9, but if you don't like them i'll buy you $9 worth of 'chuppa chups' and do a swap.
    here is a little gem, the greater the amount of clearance between the leader and the sleeve, the greater the action of the lure (providing the crimp on the leader can't pull into the sleeve).

grahame
    S***fish & chippy