Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geofencing

Geofencing

Is this supposedly only limited to the Lowrance brand or will it be a uniform implementation across all of the brands??

Re: Geofencing

I have heard it will slowly be introduced to all brands, but as of now, Lowrance are the only ones to do it, dont know how true it is though.

If it does come in it will be another cost, you'll buy the unit then pay another fee to have it unlocked similar to mobile phones.

yes, maybe, but I am yet not fully sure what goes on and how it is imposed, I have done lots of searching and had a look at some electronic sites, and as yet, I dont think anyone has ever cracked the secret, now how do you (say) buy a unit in the US and set out on your trip on your yacht, you get to the equator, and your stuffed? or do you ring Lowrance and they "unlock" it for you? I dont think so. I am of the understanding that a "locked" unit will remain that way, and some newer imports will lock once you download an update! so anyone who has a new imported Lowance, might need to be aware of that.

biggest bloody farce known to marine electronics

and quite negligent, because they don't tell anyone in the US that the unit they are buying will go into a 'sick' mode once they pass the geofence

I said this before on another thread about this, from what I have found out (and it could be wrong) the "fence" is written into the firmware of the device, firmware is the interface between software (and the updates you download) and the hardware (the actual electronic components) and once they are "programmed" they will require reprogramming to undo what is now hard coded into the firmware, so unless someone has the original software code for the operating system, or can find some sort of a "hack" that can be deployed via (say) an SD card (like your maps) then it will be a very long time before anyone can unlock their imported GPS! I hope I am wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
    biggest bloody farce known to marine electronics

and quite negligent, because they don't tell anyone in the US that the unit they are buying will go into a 'sick' mode once they pass the geofence
    They dont "HAVE" to tell you anything, as long as you are using the equipment in the part of the world it was designed for, then there is nothing to tell is there?

Geofencing wrong or right one thing it has done it has
    confirmed what we've all been saying for a while now
    and that is Lowrance/Navico have lost quite a few customers
    and supporters IMO ...

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I said this before on another thread about this, from what I have found out (and it could be wrong) the "fence" is written into the firmware of the device, firmware is the interface between software (and the updates you download) and the hardware (the actual electronic components)
    The terms software and firmware get interchanged. Software is generally programs that are erased/lost when the device is powered down. They are stored on a medium that isn't actively involved in executing the program code.

Firmware refers to programs that are coded into or stored within the medium that executes it. Embedded sytems use firmware, conventional computers use (mostly) software. Things like iPods use both.

or can find some sort of a "hack" that can be deployed via (say) an SD card (like your maps) then it will be a very long time before anyone can unlock their imported GPS! I hope I am wrong though.
    Like taking the firmware update, reverse engineering it to find the bit of program that geofences and bypassing or removing it? A little like de-regionalising a DVD but probably a lot simpler?

In my opinion eventually it will cost them more to keep geofencing intact than it will be worth, but in the short term it will maintain profitable regional distributors and fund customer support operations until another solution is found to keep those business divisions self-funding.

Supplying everything to the international market from the USA and supporting it locally is not sustainable. For the size of sales made to Australia (for example) its probably not mattered to date but the cost burden will be growing and its a complex issue.
    Sometimes its better to look like an idiot than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

testlab, I fully understand firmware and so on, i was just trying to relate it into home user language, how it pans out in the future for Lowrance, or anyone else who uses this "feature" is anyone's guess. remeber your operating system on your computer is "software" but it is NOT lost when powered down, it is just stored ready for the next use, it can be readily changed anytime you like (sometimes with dire results) but you can add and remove all the software you want, firmware is able to be altered too, but in a very different way, and items such as "geofencing" will not (yet) be easily done.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    testlab, I fully understand firmware and so on,
    Sorry... wasn't being insulting just had weeks of explaining things to people who should know stuff but don't and it gets hard to switch mental modes.

firmware is able to be altered too, but in a very different way, and items such as "geofencing" will not (yet) be easily done.
    I think that rather quickly there will be 'updates' available (for free or fee) from various parties who modify updates available on-line. Its almost a challenge to some people (not me, I won't be trying).
    Sometimes its better to look like an idiot than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

With regard to the HDS series from Lowrance, if your software is v3.0 or higher and if you have a unit "Designed for the Americas", your unit will be Geo-locked.

Once outside of your Geo-fence boundary (certain Longitudes), your unit will force Imperial measurements, and flash a "Nag Line" at the bottom of the screen advising your unit is not authorised for your area.

If you happen to be one of those that has purchased a Lowrance unit from the USA, and your unit is doing this, then simply go here, and downgrade your software back to v2.5.

Sadly, you'll be locked into to never being able to update the software version, but it will make the unit usable. Well, you could reapply an update, but it will Geo-lock you again.

If this link ever goes off-line, send me a PM as I have a local copy saved.
    I'll host it online, and send you a link.

The update is good for HDS series up to HDS-10

I have done this with my unit and it is now happily working in metric and with no NAG LINE.

HDS Update Version 2.5.31.56 with micro SD support

Warning:

This update is 332MB, and can take a very long time to download on some internet connections. For example, estimated download time for dialup 56K modems is 7-8 hours, DSL and some cable internet is 20-30 minutes, and high-speed cable internet is 2-3 minutes.

If you have a slower connection, a slightly smaller 205MB version is available. The small version is recommended if you have previously downloaded 2.X or later. If you are running software earlier than 2.X the 332MB version is recommended.

If you experience problems with the online installer, please first try to download the stand-alone installer for your operating system listed just below the online installer. If you continue to have issues downloading the update installer, please select the next solution based on your location:

* Americas - Contact Customer Support
    * Europe, Middle East or Africa - Contact Customer Support
    * Australia, Asia and Pacific Islands - Contact Customer Support

Notes:

You need only download an HDS update once - this same update can be re-used to update all HDS products.

Mac OS X users may need to reapply the execute permissions to the stand-alone installer after it has finished downloading. To reapply the execute permissions, open a Terminal window, and type the following command (this assumes you downloaded the file to your desktop):
    chmod +x desktop/HDS_253156.command

Prerequisite: Java must be installed on your computer for the installers to operate. If you do not already have a Java JRE or JDK installed, please visit the Java website.
    Installation Instructions

Watch a Tutorial Video on Updating Your Lowrance HDS

Instructions for all HDS units EXCEPT HDS-5X. Click here for installation instructions for HDS-5X

1. Make sure the SD/MMC card reader is properly connected to your computer (and, if necessary, that the drivers are installed).
    2. Insert a blank SD/MMC card that is 512MB or larger into the MMC/SD card reader.
    3. Click on the "Install This Update From the Web" link below to go to the installation web page.
    4. Wait for the Java web installer to download and run. Follow the Lowrance update installation instructions. If you are not sure about a step, just select the default choice. When the installer finishes you will be prompted to click Finish to exit.
    5. Turn your Lowrance HDS unit off.
    6. Place the MMC/SD card containing the updated operating software in the unit's MMC/SD card tray.
    7. Turn your HDS unit on. The software update will automatically install.
    8. After the install is complete, remove the SD card from the unit, and restart the unit.

The progress bar above may repeat several times before the installer begins.

If your computer experiences problems with the web installer, try using a stand-alone installer. Note: Do not download this installer to your unit - save it to your computer and run the installer to load the necessary files to the unit.Simply choose the appropriate operating system below:
    PC Win98/ME/2000/XP/2003/Vista | Mac OS X | Linux
    How to see if your HDS is already using version 2.5.31.56 with micro SD support software:

1. From a chart or sonar page, press the MENU key twice to activate the Settings menu.
    2. Select SYSTEM.
    3. Select ABOUT from the SYSTEM menu.
    4. The software version is displayed with the title "Application" and 2.5.31.56.
    5. The platform version is displayed with the title “Platform” and 56.13-3
    6. If your Application and Platform version are the same as listed in steps 4 and 5 above, there is no need to download the software.

What changes are made in this update?

This update with Application version 2.5.31.56 and Platform version 56.13-3 includes all the 2.5.31.56 functionality previously released and also enables HDS compatibility with micro SD cards.

2.5.31.56 regardless of Platform version includes the following enhancements:

SONAR/ECHOSOUNDER

* Enhances Broadband Sounder automatic mode for optimum target detection and display without manual adjustment
    * Overall improvements in Broadband Sounder Performance

CHARTPLOTTER

* Adds radar overlay viewing option function for all Navionics® chart displays
    * Adds adjustable transparency feature to Navionics® satellite photo overlays (land and/or sea) with Platinum+ and Platinum chart displays
    * Resolves and improves media readability of Navionics® Platinum+, Platinum and Gold chartcards, with expanded support for other SD cards
    * Improves vessel positioning display accuracy while enhancing improved navigation to waypoints and navigating/retracing trails

Incorporates support REQUIRED for StructureScan™ Sonar Imaging functionality:

* Unifies SideScan and DownScan Imaging™ display with 455/800 kHz imaging transducer soundings
    * Expands split-screen viewing to 3- and 4-window displays on HDS-8 and HDS-10 models
    * Enables new synchronized TrackBack™ feature for simultaneous scroll-back through sonar history and chartplotter trails in all displayed windows (DownScan Imaging™, SideScan, Broadband Sounder™, cartography) for waypoint marking
    * Activates new DownScan Overlay™ feature, merging Broadband Sounder and DownScan™ views in a single, adjustable display for the clearest structure and fish target interpretation ever achieved

Includes the following changes from previous updates:

* Fixes issue displaying some lakes with Navionics Premium North and East charts.
    * Much faster loading time for all Lowrance charts.
    * Support for Navionics cartography up to Platinum+ via first release of Navionics Turboview® viewer
    * Tides and Currents feature now available for Nautic Insight™ and Nauticpath™ cards, including full-screen tide and current predictor
    * General improvements to user interface responsiveness and key-flow, and enhanced pop-up help
    * General improvements to chart zoom and pan redraw speed, including much faster drawing of shaded relief in Lake and Nautic Insight™
    * New “Steer” navigation panel with full highway display, compass rose overlay and digital route data presentation
    * Numeric entry and waypoint position edit mode now faster to operate
    * Improved access to waypoint, route and trail library functions
    * Improved import and export of waypoints, routes, and trails
    * Added ability to export and import user settings
    * Default waypoint names shortened to reduce display clutter with large numbers of waypoints
    * Added ability to enable & disable WAAS and select the active GPS antenna to the satellites page
    * New fast ping speed display settings for very deep water
    * Improvements to sonar bottom tracking in particularly difficult conditions
    * Improved presentation when networking sonar between HDS and LCX or LMS products
    * Both digital and analog gauges now update faster
    * Improved access and set-up of pages with new Pages system menu for access to overlay data and SIRIUS® audio controls
    * Repeated pressing of PAGES key now rotates the Pages carousel which retains split screen
    * selections for faster access to frequently used functions
    * Now possible to configure sensors directly from streamlined overlay data selection menu
    * Improved Info page layout options including navigation and tournament layouts including for split screen use
    * Now easier to set your local time
    * Automatic detection of multiple engine and tank data sources
    * New steer-to compass available on info page and as overlay data option
    * Trip log data items now available as an overlay data item
    * Improvements to fuel management user interface
    * Data overlays now display port or starboard label for sensors where appropriate
    * Now possible to set independent keel offsets for multiple depth transducers
    * New support for chart/radar overlay on all Lowrance charts only (including Nautic and Lake Insight™) with multiple palette choices and full transparency control
    * Now supports BR24 Broadband Radar close-in ranges down to 200ft or 50m
    * Improved radar update performance
    * Chart will now keep the vessel on screen when using the chart/sonar or chart/radar shadow cursor at high boat speeds
    * Waypoint arrival radius and course deviation indicator settings now accessible via new Navigation system menu
    * Chart boundaries now displayed on Lowrance charting
    * Trails settings moved to Chart system menu
    * DSC support added over NMEA 2000
    * Track-Your-Buddy support added for compatible VHF radios
    * Improved handling of NMEA 0183 input from some non-standard devices
    * Added full SIRIUS® weather transparency control
    * Added SIRIUS® weather history animation up to 12hrs (Lowrance charting only)
    * Added SIRIUS® marine zone warnings
    * Improvements to SIRIUS® audio channel selection
    * Support for new SIRIUS® subscription options
    * Now possible to upgrade other head units and network modules via the ethernet
    * SIRIUS® connection diagnostics moved to Networking system menu
    * Improvements to screen capture function interface including full screen preview
    * Ability to copy all sonar logs or screen captures to SD card simultaneously
    * Networked settings can now be restored to factory defaults
    * Added full support for German, Italian, Norwegian, Danish, Russian, Finnish, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Croatian, Greek, Hungarian, Polish, Slovakian and Ukrainian languages

System Requirements:
    Lowrance HDS update software will run on any Java-enabled machine running Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP/2003/Vista, Mac OS X, or Linux.

1. Lowrance
    2. Downloads
    3. Product Softwar...
    4. HDS Update Vers...

Manuals
    Catalogs & Brochures
    Product Software Updates
    Product Emulators
    GPS Data Manager (GDM)
    Sonar Log Viewer (SLV)
    GPXtoUSR Geocaching Application
    Drivers and Firmware
    Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by John Buoy View Post
    Geofencing wrong or right one thing it has done it has
    confirmed what we've all been saying for a while now
    and that is Lowrance/Navico have lost quite a few customers
    and supporters IMO ...
    Agree 100%, will never buy Lowrance again!! What a crock of sh*t, Lowrance see Australia as a 'cash cow' and will do what they can to stop us buying cheaper overseas.

I have just spent $2k on a new Sounder and am about to order a new Garmin 10" GPS, if it wasn't for Lowrance trying to screw us over I would have bought their products.

I guess all we are after is relative price parity and fairness.
    If Apple can do it with their iPhones etc, then I'm sure other companies can do the same with their products.

I stuck with Lowrance because I had an LMC-337, and the HDS was compatible with my existing transducer.
    It saved me some heartache rewiring the boat
    Cheers
    Greg

Of course all this whining is only by people who insist on buying overseas, if you supported your local businesses you wouldn't have an issue now would you?
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand