Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Geofencing

Re: Geofencing

That's the whole point, but in reverse.

I'd happily support any local business, but not when I know I'm being price gouged.
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

As I stated earlier, there are working business models that actively supply imported product to our market at "near equivalent" prices despite the tyranny of distance to our shores, so there is no damn excuse. It's just GREED.
    Australia has the best take up of technology the world over, so we are a sought after market.
    Pity they might also think we are also idiots and don't know we are being bent over and reamed out.

It's a free world. If you want to allow it to happen, great!
    If not take your dollar where you want, and for the moment at least, anyone with the Lowrance HDS can use the obove instructions and download to unlock their unit.
    Cheers
    Greg

My question is if it is softwear that locks you out how does the lowrance web site know where you are from when you download it from the american web site? Haveing multiple copys of the same softwear would be a nighmare from there point of view and if it is only in the softwear i am shore some one would of already found the source code and worked out how to delete it from the program by now

It's the GPS that knows where you are
    92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU,96 MU Wizard, 2014 MUX, 2019 DMAX
    Australia's loudest MU
    MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
    If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?

Quote Originally Posted by pig75 View Post
    It's the GPS that knows where you are
    The hardware would be the same so how does the softwear that comes from the american web site lock out some units by the update

as mentioned earlier in the thread - Lowrance uses 'firmware' inbetween the hardware and software

there are international units that don't have the geofencing, and american units that do have geofencing

bloody price gouge

So if you got the aust firmware and pit it on the us version then you should be ok?

haven't found anyone yet who can crack them...

I bought a HDS7M on a tinnie and tackle show special for near as dammit what it would have cost to import one

just look for specials - sanctuary cove boat show coming up

"Of course all this whining is only by people who insist on buying overseas, if you supported your local businesses you wouldn't have an issue now would you?"

1. Then think of the US citizen purchasing in the USA and intending on sailing the world! Whining takes on a whole new meaning.

What about the poor suckers like me that just purchased a boat unknowingly with a US version sounder in it? Just got a quote to unlock it from Lowrance. They want $750.00 to give me the code! WTF! Tell me that's reasonable! Arseholes!

All devices have a unique identification number. Each unit number is recorded, then shipped to a specific region. it is that simple.

Every unit can be geofenced, it is just not enforced. Greed = Yes.. Protecting distribution rights/agreements/margins.

Regards
    Honda

as a retailer i gota say there is zero money in marine electronics. im sure every other retailer will say the same. and for the hassle marine electronics can cause. its a wonder why we even still sell them i guess we just love it that much

that plastic baitboard you just bought? yeah there was more money made in that than a lowrance hds5 .

Quote Originally Posted by FishHunter View Post
    Of course all this whining is only by people who insist on buying overseas, if you supported your local businesses you wouldn't have an issue now would you?
    well fishhunter your consistent as every post is usually along these lines - so i guess your a reseller / dealer for lowrance etc ???

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    as a retailer i gota say there is zero money in marine electronics. im sure every other retailer will say the same. and for the hassle marine electronics can cause. its a wonder why we even still sell them i guess we just love it that much

that plastic baitboard you just bought? yeah there was more money made in that than a lowrance hds5 .
    Its the dealers who are being gouged as well.

of cause we are but we chose to do it so we can still offer services to customers. if we decided to stop....we might as well open up a cafe instead
    its even harder with more and more boat manufactures offering units at a factory level.

i feel we arnt to bad off here. we are a tiny far away country. imagine buying a HDS5 in Zimbabwe

(dosnt help the problem but it sounds funny!)

moose

contact me i will help you
    telegram @GeoLeo7