Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kayak Trolling

Re: Kayak Trolling

Jason,

Like Feral, I've dropped back on line size and leader size. Used to be a religious 10lb guy. But now run 4lb and catch a lot more fish. Sure you occasionally get biten off - but you catch a heap more fish too.

Lure wise. SX40's are a good starting place - I like the 306 colour. I've also become a fan of Atomic Hardz Crank 35's in mid and deep in the GGB colour - particularly for casting at the banks and slowly retriving. Got a 64cm flathead on the Atomic a few weeks back during a trip to Kedron Brook Floodway. Got a heap of bream and 4 flathead that day on the same lure using 4lb braid with a 6lb leader.

My general rule for bream is to have my lure just above the bottom when trolling. So having a sounder is vital and knowing how deep a lure runs is also vital. For flathead I like the lure to just touch the bottom every now and then.

Good luck.

Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
    Jason,

Like Feral, I've dropped back on line size and leader size. Used to be a religious 10lb guy. But now run 4lb and catch a lot more fish. Sure you occasionally get biten off - but you catch a heap more fish too.

Lure wise. SX40's are a good starting place - I like the 306 colour. I've also become a fan of Atomic Hardz Crank 35's in mid and deep in the GGB colour - particularly for casting at the banks and slowly retriving. Got a 64cm flathead on the Atomic a few weeks back during a trip to Kedron Brook Floodway. Got a heap of bream and 4 flathead that day on the same lure using 4lb braid with a 6lb leader.

My general rule for bream is to have my lure just above the bottom when trolling. So having a sounder is vital and knowing how deep a lure runs is also vital. For flathead I like the lure to just touch the bottom every now and then.

Good luck.

Pete
    I'm enjoying this thread. Once my shoulder's right I'll be updating my yak with a few goodies so it's fishable.

But the reason I quoted this - if you are Gigantor, how do you fit in a yak?

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

If it was me i would buy a 2-4 kg, Trion, Wilson LCS, OR similar priced rod 100$. I have been using a penn sargus 2000 ( around 75$) for a cheap reel. I have had it around 8 months now and its bloody awesome. The drag is soo smooth Has landed me a couple of 50cm trevs plenty of other good size trevs.

I would throw on some 4 or 6lb fireline ( 22$ big w) and buy some 6-8lb leader.

another note on the sargus... I have been using my 2500 ci4 stradic for a couple months now and used my penn the other night popping for trevs. It feels so smooth even after using the stradic for ages. The drag is just a tad quiet if your into " screamers " there a bit of a let down.

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    I'm enjoying this thread. Once my shoulder's right I'll be updating my yak with a few goodies so it's fishable.

But the reason I quoted this - if you are Gigantor, how do you fit in a yak?

Cheers,

Tim
    Whats the matter with the shoulder? You big girl Hmmm i am not allowed to start work on the fitout of the Yak until I have caught up on all the gardening etc......... so should be early next week And then a couple of days doing the fitout and water testing of the PA!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serenity!

Jason,

re soft plastics. I enjoy using the Gulp 2 inch baby shrimps with a 1/16 oz jig head - this is killer with the bream and flatties. Just cast to the very edeg fo the bank, let it sink to the bottom, then slowly retireve with a occasional pause to let the lure drop to the bottom again. Keep an eye on the line and be ready to set the hook when the line goes tight.

Cheers,

Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

Quote Originally Posted by swabio View Post
    Whats the matter with the shoulder? You big girl Hmmm i am not allowed to start work on the fitout of the Yak until I have caught up on all the gardening etc......... so should be early next week And then a couple of days doing the fitout and water testing of the PA!
    Missed this, sorry Mate! There's a spur that's punched a hole in the Supraspinatus (spelling???) tendon. The spur sits in the hole and just, well, HURTS! It must come off. I had the surgery booked for last week, but I'm too busy to have a few days off right now.

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

i was in the same mind set as you feral about a week ago i bout a packet of berkley gulp opened the packet and it did smell like bait rigged one up gave my hands a quick rinse in the water casted a few times and the smell was pretty much gone at the end of the day my hands smelt like plastic, just thought id give my 2 cents on that but i do like hardbodies as they dont get destroyed like a plastic does