Thread: Gearbox issue - 115 Merc Optimax (2004)

Gearbox issue - 115 Merc Optimax (2004)

Got a nasty surprise Sunday morning as I attempted to motor away from the Wellington Point boat ramp. My 2004 model, 115 Optimax Merc just reved out in neutral as I pushed the throttle forward in to what is normally "Forward" gear

I quickly pulled the throttle back to the "Neutral" upright position, repeated the process, and again the motor reved it's little heart out, but there was no propulsion ???? We had now drifted helplessly from the ramp, Reverse gear was still there and we got back to the ramp o.k.
    I also noticed there was no clunk sound as the lever went fron neutral to forward as you would normally get when changing gears.

I have had the busch inspected in the prop and is fine, and have also been told the issue would have nothing to do with stretched cables etc. So now at the stage where the leg will have to come off and possible major repairs ?? Cogs not meshing ???

Are there any other Merc owners out there that have had a similar issue ?

I have approx 900 hrs on the motor and never had a problem like this before. Had not had the boat in the water since Oct last year...........that's what you get when you don't use them . Have parked the boat for now and saving up my $$$...............

Regards
    Craigie.

Re: Gearbox issue - 115 Merc Optimax (2004)

OK, lets not panic just yet, first off remove the cowl and have someone move the gear lever while you look at the cable end (may have to move prop by hand) did it move? answer no, broken cable/control, answer yes, remove the cable end from the gear shift in the motor, shift manaully, does it engage forward and reverse? anwer yes, find out why it is not engaging via the cable and control, anwer no, PANIC, not really, but there appears to be a more serious issue that may require a trip to the doctors, and possibly hospital, but do the easy stuff first.

OH, you are 100% sure the prop is Ok of course?

Noelm, Thanks for the quick response !!

Yes have had the cowling off for a fiddle. A mate with more knowledge than myself has inspected things. with forward gear activated from under cowling, prop still spins as if in neutral gear. Reverse gear and prop does not spin as expected.
    Have established problem is not in the cable or where it connects under cowling.

At the stage now where it is in the more serious category and a bandaid won't fix it. Needs an appointment with the doctor I'm thinking.........

Appreciate your advice,

Regards,

Craigie

Not 100% sure about prop, but we have had it off for an inspection and all looks to be o.k ?.

Quote Originally Posted by craigie View Post
    Noelm, Thanks for the quick response !!

Yes have had the cowling off for a fiddle. A mate with more knowledge than myself has inspected things. with forward gear activated from under cowling, prop still spins as if in neutral gear. Reverse gear and prop does not spin as expected.
    Have established problem is not in the cable or where it connects under cowling.

At the stage now where it is in the more serious category and a bandaid won't fix it. Needs an appointment with the doctor I'm thinking.........

Appreciate your advice,

Regards,

Craigie

Not 100% sure about prop, but we have had it off for an inspection and all looks to be o.k ?.
    Hi, what was the outcome here?? Im keen to learn a bit more about opti's, they seem very fuel efficient with the 2 stroke punch. Cheers.

Slim chance i know but has the gearbox been off lately ?. If so it might be possible that the shift shaft has been bumped ever so slightly in one direction allowing it to easily engage either forward or reverse but not the other.

Good luck with it eh.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Gee, doesn't time fly !

Just to let you know how this issue finished up ........................ it was a $50 part (gear shift lever) that had failed ............ $100 total fix and a minor issue after all !
    Motor is back purring along like a new one for the last few years !
    only got 1000 hours now 4 1/2 years later ................. tells me I should be boating and fishing a lot more !!