Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shimano Baitrunner reels

Shimano Baitrunner reels

Gday,
    i have 2 6500b, 1 4500b and a 3500b
    Question i'm asking is im looking at updating but with new series of Shimano baitrunners out now im not sure what im looking at (i buy on ebay) i want one about the same size as the older style 4500b.
    the B series are a great reel with the smaller being 3500 then 4500 then the 6500. I could just buy another 4500b but i like to keep up with the times so to speak and im going to give one of the new ones a go.
    Any help would be appreciated in understanding the new model numbers or even a side by side comparison of the new and old models.
    Cheers, Chris

Re: Shimano Baitrunner reels

hey mate why not just upgrade yours? shimano do a upgrade kit (or they used to sorry if they stopped) which had a wet drag and new handle for them alot more comfortable and alot more pulling power may be worth checking out

Thanks mate, still would be good to know about the new ones though.

I have a 12000D and I think it's the same size as the 6500. But I might be wrong about that. I haven't used many eggbeaters before but it handles decent sized reefies with ease. Anyway, it's a great reel; I love it.
    regards Jim

awesome, so that might mean the 8000d is similar size to the 4500b?? anymore comments?

Chris

4500B Specs -

Graphite Frame
    Graphite Rotor (3500 & 4500 sizes only)
    Aluminium Rotor (6500 size only)
    Diecast Aluminium Spool
    Flat T Type Rubber Handle Grip
    3 +1 A-RB (Anti-Rust Bearings)
    Baitrunner
    Waterproof Drag
    Dyna-Balance
    Power Roller III
    Super Stopper II
    Gear Ratio - 4.8:1
    Max Drag 7kg
    Mono Line Capacity - 6kg - 270m
    Weight 629g

New 8000D Specs -

Line Retrieve Per Crank (in.): 28
    Line Cap: 14/295,17/250,20/195
    Line Cap. PowerPro: 40/295, 50/290, 65/180
    Maximum Drag (Lbs.): 25.0
    Baitrunner Max. Drag: 2.0
    Bearings: 3B+1R
    Gear Ratio: 4.8:1
    Weight: 21.7oz.

I just got one from reel fishing deals for $180.00 delivered.
    I haven't tried it yet so no feedback.

Generally speaking "they don't make them like they used to!" applies to most things these days. Remember the TLD series halved in price (nearly) overnight a few years back, and that was because they cheapened up the build.

If you have an older Baitrunner, I would bet it would be a much better reel than the newer ones.

Not based on much except my TV's that die once a year, My toasters that don't really toast bread and all the other Chinese cr@p we buy these days!!!!

Hey mate have 4 baitrunners all get a hard life on charters, have just had them done up not much wrong with any of them all in excess of 10 year old and bloke who done them said good for another ten year, his opinion they will out last the newer ones.

dunno about that, both my 6500's have been in for repairs. baitrunner would not disengage when on a fish. same problem with both reels.

Funny you should mention that Chris. I purchased a Baitrunner D series after much deliberation on how much i would use the baitrunner feature. The very first time i engaged the baitrunner feature with a fish going the other way there was a funny noise inside the reel and the same problem; the baitrunner feature would not disengage. Very difficult to take control after that as there was no way to turn the spool to take line back. ended up trying to hand line the fish but to no avail. I took the reel back to Tackleworld where i purchased the reel and they resolved the issue by just giving me a new reel on the spot. Great service from them; i am happy with their service but not so confident with the reel at the moment.
    Regards to all Dick

in saying that though im still very confident in the reels as i have caught some great fish with them from cobia to kingys to pearl perch, snapper i could go on the most annoying part is though i always seem to get big hits on the 3500 which is the smallest of the 4 i got and have been spooled a couple of times now

I might mention that the shimano bait runner series is believed to being phased out and you will soon not be able to get them ?
    I have only heard this rumour I am unsure why they would do this as this reel is a good work horse.

KEN

I purchased 2 x 8000D and 1 x 12000D for myslef and my parents, all 3 reels have gone back for warranty, the gears are not very strong and there is so much flex in the reel between the reel seat and the handle it isn't funny.

There is no way you could run 12kg of drag on one of these reels as the advertising would lead you to believe.

The first reel was a pepper grinder after catching only half a dozen snappery squire.... Isn't that what these reels are designed for?

Unfortunately I don't think there is many other options in the baitrunner type reel, if only they would make a Stella Baitrunner!

Oh 8000D = 4500B and 12000D = 6500B as a rough guide in terms of size.

Anthony

Seems to me considering some of the responses that it would be a good idea to repair or make good the Baitrunners you currently have. The newer versions do not apear to have inspired confidence in their performance.
    As an option there is the new Thunnis (i think that is how you spell it) model which is concidrably more expensive having an extra bearing and made from the new age light weight material that i have not seen as yet. Personally i will not be purchasing any more of the baitrunner series as i do not use the feature that much and after using better quality standard reels they have been a bit of a let down. They have been marketed as a great Snapper reel; i am a bit unsure the new models make the grade.
    Regards to all Dick

I would'nt use a shimano baitrunner when there are penn live liners out there.Penn will eat them.
    IMO Graham