Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shimano Baitrunner reels

Re: Shimano Baitrunner reels

I got the "baby" 4000D for light live-baiting and it's now one of my favourites reels! It's handled everything from tailor to stingray without missing a beat, and the baitrunner feature never failed me.

Of course I use it as a fishing reel, not as a winch. Personally I find 3kg of drag just about perfect, but I fish 15lbs, not 50lbs!

Also, it, er, fell from the kayak once and I had to clean all the sand out, and it's a very nicely designed reel, not a cheap p.o.s.

Anyway, I couldn't be happier with my 4000D.

I have a 8000d and caught mackeral, reefies, 5ft shark, big cod and it is a delight to use with a smooth drag and every time matched with a $40 kmart 2 piece rod even the shark.

regards

chris

I upgraded from my old 4500 baitrunner to a 560 Penn Liveliner. I pulled it apart and it looks much better for a lot less money. One major advantage is the o ring seal around the baitrun lever which the Shimano''s get water through. Have a good look at them before committing

It all depends on how you use them. I have an 8000D that lets me control snapper, pearlies etc, on either a soft or hard tip snapper rod used for floatlining and generally using 4-8kg of braid. If I put even 4oz's of bottom weight on it I would be in trouble as the reel isn't fit for bottom bashing and neither are those rods.
    Similarly, hitting Spanish Mackeral and Mack Tuna is a joy as the line screams off the reel extremely smoothly at whatever drag level you want - and you don't need much.
    Pump and wind will be no problem unless the fish decides to go down at the exact moment that you give the 'wind', in which case your experience surely tells you to stop winding and let the clutch/drag take the strain.
    Unlike so many of the TV fishing programmes, filmed for 'all Australia' etc, fishing is NOT a race to see how fast you can wind the fish up to the surface, yet so many amateur anglers do exactly this - especially when fishing with mates and it takes its toll on the reels, rods, lines and teminal tackle resulting in lost fish and failed tackle.
    That's reel fishing!
    Cheers
    Plato
    PS: Google up some YouTube clips on the baitrunner and see how the pro's use them.

You can't tell me the gears in the new baitrunners are good when they didn't even last for a dozen squirey snapper?? This is an 8000 size reel after all and if it can't handle the drag they say it can then why put that drag in it?? And yes I don't use my reels like a winch... A 2-4kg snapper is barely a hard fighing fish...

The old ones were a lot stronger built IMHO and will outlast a new one by 10's of years!

Edit: And in no way am I Shimano bashing, as most of my reels are made by Shimano.... I do think however when you pay good money for a reel that it should last more than a year as anyone would.