View Poll Results: Do you predominantly practice C&R ... and what is your age group

Voters
262. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I do 10 - 20 years of age

7 2.67%
  • Yes I do 20 - 40 " " "

79 30.15%
  • Yes I do 40 +

68 25.95%
  • No I do not 10 - 20 years of age

3 1.15%
  • No I do not 20 - 40 " " "

43 16.41%
  • No I do not 40 +

62 23.66%
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Catch & Release ...... why ?

Catch & Release ...... why ?

Hi Ausfishers

We have another thread going about C&R but I'm interested to hear how & why people got into C&R ........ or . .......... why people have not ?

Now this is not a debate about the morals etc ........ just a why & how - so its not meant to be a shite fight - so lets refrain from it!

Finally - I have included a poll to get a feel if C&R is something that is associated with a certain generation.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Catch & Release ...... why ?

I dont eat much seafood, so makes no sense to keep it. Only keep it if I know I can offload it to someone who will eat it.

Nagg,

i do both as im sure a few Ausfishers do as well, for example a small squire, released, a pan sized ill keep. So if the poll was strictly C&R then no, though we released a few fish on Sunday and kept some for a feed.

mike
    Tangles KFC

I will start it off

I predominantly practice catch & release because for me the thrill of fishing is the hunt & the capture ..... in an addition to often the environment or adventure associated.
    I can take a photo for my own pleasure (& others) knowing that the fish has been released with care giving someone else the opportunity to experience the same.
    I will take the occasional fish for the table - usually when away as part of the evening meal - but a feed is not my motivation for fishing.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Aigutso View Post
    Nagg,

i do both as im sure a few Ausfishers do as well, for example a small squire, released, a pan sized ill keep. So if the poll was strictly C&R then no, though we released a few fish on Sunday and kept some for a feed.

mike
    Hi Mike .... That's why I said predominantly .

So if your the type of fishoe that catches a fish & throws it back more often or not ..... I'll call you a C&R fishoe ( If I go up north ..... I will fish through the day & throw everything back - till we say need a fish for dinner that night....... so i'm C&R

On the other hand - if you go fishing and take your bag (or enough to satisfy your needs ) then release your additional catch ...... I would say that you are not a C&R fishoe

Finally those that C&R everything or keep pretty well everything (within the law) - well they are straight forward

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Nagg,

mike
    Hi again Mike

based on that scenario - I would not say that you're not a C&R fishoe ( with no malice or judgement) as you fish with a goal of taking the right fish for a meal .

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    I dont eat much seafood, so makes no sense to keep it. Only keep it if I know I can offload it to someone who will eat it.
    So you fish for the enjoyment / sport ? - if you catch a fish and think that someone would enjoy it .. (every now and then) - I would say your fish C&R predominantly

I have a mate that never eats fish ...... but catches them to give to his parents regularly ( so not a C&R fishoe) - He releases a lot of fish but at the end of the day he has a fish or two to clean.

a young bloke I know who does a lot of gamefishing ( tag & release of marlin - tuna etc) ....... will always bring home his limit of YFT / dollies or kingies for the family - he will probably kill me - but he is not a C&R fishoe ...... boarderline but

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

hi Nagg,

I've never really caught a bag, just enjoy getting out there, fish are a bonus, always will be, company out there is more important to me, but I dont mind taking a couple home for the table, and will happily throw them back too.

Some of the best fishing trips ive had have been mixed, ie on charter with mates, or pure C&R with lures only with crushed barbs etc with no intention of keeping a fish, common thread is the company not what sort of fisho i am.

cheers
    mike
    Tangles KFC

I choose the last option . When i do get to go, im usual entertaining my 2 girls !
    I only have them on the weekend but they love fishing, for the first hour . We only
    take home enough for the 3 of us, & thats if we get lucky ! The reason i started the other thread was based on experiences from my youth & some of the older generation i know ......... It refreshing to know the youth of today are conscious in some ways .

Mark

hi Nagg,

I've never really caught a bag, just enjoy getting out there, fish are a bonus, always will be, company out there is more important to me, but I dont mind taking a couple home for the table, and will happily throw them back too.

Some of the best fishing trips ive had have been mixed, ie on charter with mates, or pure C&R with lures only with crushed barbs etc with no intention of keeping a fish, common thread is the company not what sort of fisho i am.

cheers
    mike
    mike ... you are in the too hard basket ....... but in honesty a fair few people would fall between that crack ,
    So just ask yourself - what is your motivation for fishing ? - feed or fun

during the 90's - I would have sat close to the middle ( kept a lot - let a hell of a lot go) ....... there was a 150lt esky on mt boat to allow decent fish to be kept.

My current boat has a 60lt live bait tank & a 60lt esky

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    So you fish for the enjoyment / sport ? - if you catch a fish and think that someone would enjoy it .. (every now and then) - I would say your fish C&R predominantly

I have a mate that never eats fish ...... but catches them to give to his parents regularly ( so not a C&R fishoe) - He releases a lot of fish but at the end of the day he has a fish or two to clean.

a young bloke I know who does a lot of gamefishing ( tag & release of marlin - tuna etc) ....... will always bring home his limit of YFT / dollies or kingies for the family - he will probably kill me - but he is not a C&R fishoe ...... boarderline but

Chris
    I am def C&R and I chose that in the poll. I do occasionally keep a fish for myself, but is very very rare. Beside the last 1770 trip on lucky phills boat, I think the last time I kept a fish for me to eat was a few whiting maybe 2-3 year ago.

Nagg,

motivation? never ever been out purely for a feed, more for relaxation/mates, i simply wouldnt want to fish for that pure reason of getting a feed, but saying that, a plate of fresh fish one has caught that day cant be beat, or the pleasure of giving some to family as well, more about getting away.

always been about getting out there with mates and enjoying the good/bad weather, using rods/reels for the first time, the anticipation of what may happen that day,... and the usual acceptance it didnt happen but next time.

I dont have any judgement on others who C&R or those who stay within the bag limits, their call.
    Tangles KFC

I fish 3-4 major comps a year that are predmonantly C & R. Plus the lead ups so that gives me pretty much 3-4 months that I fish a couple of times a week and rarely keeping a fish.
    However, my family loves fish so I do a few specific trips a year with the purpose of a freezer stockup.

i don't eat much fish at all, but my wife, kids and parents love it...... so I go for the fun side of fishing for me, and if lucky enough, will bring some home for them to enjoy..... also makes it that little bit easier to get the odd solo leave pass

I also take the kids fishing, as they love it also, initially they wanted to bring all the fish home and put in the aquarium, now they are happy to let most go, and bring a couple home now and then for them to eat.

So all in all not a C&R!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serenity!

I guess i have released more fish than i have kept in the last 10 years or so. For me it is no longer about showing how many fish you can catch but rather keeping a nice fish for a feed for the wife and i and releasing the others. The present Snapper closure has seen me change fishing tactics a little releasing all Snapper and keeping the Grunter by catch for the table. Previously this was reversed.
    I am paranoid about releasing fish in the best possible condition and so never remove them from the water or touch them with my hands. My boat is small so i simply lean over the side with a pair of pliers and remove the hook while the fish is in the net and release it. If i determine the fish will not survive well it is kept.
    Regards to all Dick