View Poll Results: Do you predominantly practice C&R ... and what is your age group

Voters
262. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I do 10 - 20 years of age

7 2.67%
  • Yes I do 20 - 40 " " "

79 30.15%
  • Yes I do 40 +

68 25.95%
  • No I do not 10 - 20 years of age

3 1.15%
  • No I do not 20 - 40 " " "

43 16.41%
  • No I do not 40 +

62 23.66%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Catch & Release ...... why ?

Re: Catch & Release ...... why ?

I don't really care whether people catch and release or catch and eat..as long as they abide by the regualtions.
    What does annoy me is these people that carry on about catch and release and show pics of a fish being held by lipgrippers..laid out on a brag mat on a hot esky and kept out of the water way too long..and then have the audacity to say something like.."it swam away for another day"..more like swam away and almost dead. Flathead are a classic example..most mags show pics of people holding a flathead vertically by lip grippers..might as well eat the thing..usually broken the throat latch and it has been proven that holding them vertically just tries to shove their guts down into the narrowest part of the body.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    I don't really care whether people catch and release or catch and eat..as long as they abide by the regualtions.
    What does annoy me is these people that carry on about catch and release and show pics of a fish being held by lipgrippers..laid out on a brag mat on a hot esky and kept out of the water way too long..and then have the audacity to say something like.."it swam away for another day"..more like swam away and almost dead. Flathead are a classic example..most mags show pics of people holding a flathead vertically by lip grippers..might as well eat the thing..usually broken the throat latch and it has been proven that holding them vertically just tries to shove their guts down into the narrowest part of the body.
    Pinhead
    Flathead are quite hardy when it comes to catch and release. Here's a bit of info:

http://www.tafi.org.au/publications/..._071_Nov06.pdf

Basically says that deep hooking and bleeding are major contributors to mortality.

But I definitely take your point regarding lip grippers and holding fish up without supporting their body weight - not good for flathead or any fish for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    Totally agree - It's all part of the education process ...... of

use knottless nets , wet the surfaces - mat etc , support the fish , minimal handling & be as quick as you can ......... if you can , keep the fish in the water till you are ready.
    I think we are getting better at it

Those US bass events .... really put C&R in a bad light with their antics & how they handle the fish

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by STUIE63 View Post
    that is what I was thinking when I read the post , and was the barra weighed with the boga grips and then released only to subsequently die from a broken back
    if you're talking about byron_moses' "barra", it's got a very forked tail....

everything about this survey confused me. first, I'm 40, so I didn't know which age bracket to vote in. Second, I aim to keep fish, but I don't mind releasing fish. What I do on any particular day depends on so many things, like where I'm fishing (fw, estuary, ocean, beach), what I'm targeting, what I catch, which boat I'm using or from the shore, whether I've got an eski with me etc etc etc.

I love fishing. I love planning a fishing adventure. I love cruising around the ocean looking for fish. I love catching fish. I love watching fish get caught and talking to people that have caught them. I love eating fish. I love surfing as much if not more than fishing (this does affect my fishing - lots will know what I mean). Fishing is the best way to get a feed of fresh fish.

As they say, the devil is in the detail. This survey gives an overall picture, but when you think about the complexities of the issue, I don't think you can draw too many conclusions from it. However, you could probably think of it as a reasonable pilot study that would help you design your proper survey.

regards.

Jono.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono_SS View Post
    if you're talking about byron_moses' "barra", it's got a very forked tail....

everything about this survey confused me. first, I'm 40, so I didn't know which age bracket to vote in. Second, I aim to keep fish, but I don't mind releasing fish. What I do on any particular day depends on so many things, like where I'm fishing (fw, estuary, ocean, beach), what I'm targeting, what I catch, which boat I'm using or from the shore, whether I've got an eski with me etc etc etc.

I love fishing. I love planning a fishing adventure. I love cruising around the ocean looking for fish. I love catching fish. I love watching fish get caught and talking to people that have caught them. I love eating fish. I love surfing as much if not more than fishing (this does affect my fishing - lots will know what I mean). Fishing is the best way to get a feed of fresh fish.

As they say, the devil is in the detail. This survey gives an overall picture, but when you think about the complexities of the issue, I don't think you can draw too many conclusions from it. However, you could probably think of it as a reasonable pilot study that would help you design your proper survey.

regards.

Jono.
    Hi Jono

you're right - it is complex ..... but I was curious after another thread and had a bit of a theory .
    So I went for a simple poll ...... hence why I said predominantly .
    I do wish that I narrowed the age groups to 10 years ...... that may have been more revealing . that said a picture is emerging though

Like you ..... I also fish differently ( fresh water - always C&R ...... except when fishing for trout. Estuaries nearly always C&R .... but when away - some fish is kept for the evening meal ....... offshore mostly C&R but am partial to sashimi - so a yellowfin or bluefin tuna may be kept ............. but in the end I dont go fishing for a feed.

btw - if are 40 yo ...... you are in the 40+ group

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Perhaps next time you could consider asking something slightly more specific like "during a normal fishing trip, do you release more legal sized fish than you keep?".

Also, you would need to collect your info per species. For example, I would bet there aren't too many people that release more legal sized Spanish mackerel than they keep (except in Platypus Bay). On the other hand, I would bet that there would be a very high percentage of people would say they release more legal sized bass than they keep. These 2 examples were intentionally chosen as likely extremes.

Jono.

Its also interesting that most of the medical fraternity advise people to eat fish regularly as a part of a healthy diet. You can read a plethora of info on the web about this .

C and R may appeal to some and this is respected, but it is a modified form of fishing none the less. Mankind has always fished to eat and I guess will continue to do so.

In a time when so much junk food and processed food is being consumed in the western world and a lot of it by children, maybe we should be encouraging our younger fishos to eat some fish as well as a part of a healthy diet.

It confuses me as well that greeny diehards actually eat food. So I wonder what they eat, seeing they dont want us eating fish per say. Im not referring to anyone on this thread, Im just asking generic questions.

I would have thought that the quest for a healthy planet should include healthy humans? And a huge part of being healthy, is a balanced diet which includes fish. The western world is awash with shite processed food.

Sustainability of fish stocks is about having fish to eat in the future is it not??

What do greenys eat? Surely they dont all eat vegies and processed and junk food only.
    Very confusing philosophy

John
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Quote Originally Posted by Jono_SS View Post
    Perhaps next time you could consider asking something slightly more specific like "during a normal fishing trip, do you release more legal sized fish than you keep?".

Also, you would need to collect your info per species. For example, I would bet there aren't too many people that release more legal sized Spanish mackerel than they keep (except in Platypus Bay). On the other hand, I would bet that there would be a very high percentage of people would say they release more legal sized bass than they keep. These 2 examples were intentionally chosen as likely extremes.

Jono.
    That's the problem ...... how do you do that in a simple poll ?

We already have 6 options for age groups

The reality is though - certain species are targeted for their sport value and others for their eating qualities - some both
    its only my opinion ..... but I would say those that fish for spaniards would pretty well all fish for a feed .
    everyone knows where they sit when they go out fishing ...... if you go and buy bait , fill a big esky with ice then you are going out for a feed of fish .
    People that turn up to lake Awooonga or Monduran with a big ice box on board - well you know they are not there for C&R.

It's actually not hard to work out whether you are a C&R fishoe or catch & keep ...... PREDOMINANTLY

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by odes20 View Post
    Its also interesting that most of the medical fraternity advise people to eat fish regularly as a part of a healthy diet. You can read a plethora of info on the web about this .

C and R may appeal to some and this is respected, but it is a modified form of fishing none the less. Mankind has always fished to eat and I guess will continue to do so.

In a time when so much junk food and processed food is being consumed in the western world and a lot of it by children, maybe we should be encouraging our younger fishos to eat some fish as well as a part of a healthy diet.

It confuses me as well that greeny diehards actually eat food. So I wonder what they eat, seeing they dont want us eating fish per say. Im not referring to anyone on this thread, Im just asking generic questions.

I would have thought that the quest for a healthy planet should include healthy humans? And a huge part of being healthy, is a balanced diet which includes fish. The western world is awash with shite processed food.

Sustainability of fish stocks is about having fish to eat in the future is it not??

What do greenys eat? Surely they dont all eat vegies and processed and junk food only.
    Very confusing philosophy

John
    John - you really cant use the balanced diet as a justification for fishing - and keeping fish
    some of the best fish to eat are not the ones that are commonly targeted - or available in Qld.
    I love eating fish ...... but my favorites ( & are considered amoung the healthiest choices ) are the salmanoids ...... they just happen to be a bit scarce up here outside of a fish shop .
    So I end up buying more fish than I keep during fishing trips. ...... go figure!

Now - being controversial ..... a common justification for fishing is catching enough to justify the expenditure on going fishing ..... car fuel , boat fuel , bait regos, insurances etc ........ I know blokes that have sold their boats because it costs them too much to go out for a feed ..... cannot justify their $100K boat & spending $300 / day to go out to catch a few reds , trag , pearlies etc

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Now there is some votes in the poll Chris, is it as you would have thought? From my point of view it is pretty much as I would have. Fairly balanced with C&R a bit more popular with the younger blokes than the older ones. This is probably a reflection that more older blokes own bigger boats and do more offshore/deep fishing for tasty morsels whilst the younger guys (with the kick of youth) are a bit more sports orientated.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    John - you really cant use the balanced diet as a justification for fishing - and keeping fish
    some of the best fish to eat are not the ones that are commonly targeted - or available in Qld.
    I love eating fish ...... but my favorites ( & are considered amoung the healthiest choices ) are the salmanoids ...... they just happen to be a bit scarce up here outside of a fish shop .
    So I end up buying more fish than I keep during fishing trips. ...... go figure!

Now - being controversial ..... a common justification for fishing is catching enough to justify the expenditure on going fishing ..... car fuel , boat fuel , bait regos, insurances etc ........ I know blokes that have sold their boats because it costs them too much to go out for a feed ..... cannot justify their $100K boat & spending $300 / day to go out to catch a few reds , trag , pearlies etc

Chris
    I agree with you 100% on your second point. I dont match owning and operating a boat against my catch. It never enteres my thoughts.

But Chris I have no idea how you can say," John - you really cant use the balanced diet as a justification for fishing - and keeping fish ". Yes I can. Its part of the life choice of millions of people, not just a few who own boats in QLD.

Is that not a direct contradiction to the history of the world it terms of fishing? You have the luxury of going and buying the select fish you prefer.

Surely you dont think everyone in the world should Cand R and leave taking fish to the Commercial sector and people just buy fish they want to eat?
    I dont think that you would take that position, but you havent thought this whole issue thru.
    You needle away at fishos here for taking more than you think is practicle for sustainability, but will go and by fish caught by commercial fishers who are largely responsible for the decimation of species in most parts of the world??

John

"let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

But Chris I have no idea how you can say," John - you really cant use the balanced diet as a justification for fishing - and keeping fish ". Yes I can. Its part of the life choice of millions of people, not just a few who own boats in QLD.

John

But he believes he can, because he thinks it's ok to tell people what they can and can't do, while he does it himself. Pretty typical Left Wing mentality. Being happy to accept what others say without investigation of the Facts because the lie serves the desired outcome is another quality we can strongly identify in the Left: for these people the End justifies the Means.

Part of the reason I fish is because I want to eat fish as well. Very few fish I catch are returned because they're not good eating. Even a MILF is good if you curry it right.

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

I agree with you 100% on your second point. I dont match owning and operating a boat against my catch. It never enteres my thoughts.

Is that not a direct contradiction to the history of the world it terms of fishing? You have the luxury of going and buying the select fish you prefer.

Surely you dont think everyone in the world should Cand R and leave taking fish to the Commercial sector and people just buy fish they want to eat?
    I dont think that you would take that position, but you havent thought this whole issue thru.
    You needle away at fishos here for taking more than you think is practicle for sustainability, but will go and by fish caught by commercial fishers who are largely responsible for the decimation of species in most parts of the world??

John

It didn't quite come out right ......... what I was trying to say was "you dont need to go out fishing to end up with a balanced diet" - like you dont need to go out and shoot animals to get a feed of red meat.

I've never been against anyone taking a feed & I'm in no way a C&R nazi ...... not when I keep fish every now and then for a feed. Its just that my motivations for fishing is not about a feed.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    But he believes he can, because he thinks it's ok to tell people what they can and can't do, while he does it himself. Pretty typical Left Wing mentality. Being happy to accept what others say without investigation of the Facts because the lie serves the desired outcome is another quality we can strongly identify in the Left: for these people the End justifies the Means.

Part of the reason I fish is because I want to eat fish as well. Very few fish I catch are returned because they're not good eating. Even a MILF is good if you curry it right.

Tim
    Get it right Tim ........ I don't tell people what they have to do ! but I will give my opinions & views .
    I actually have a fairly balanced view towards fishing - neither being totally a C&R or Catch & Keep fishoe ........Though my strongest view is that fish are not a limitless resource & that fish stocks are easily over exploited
    If that is a leftist view - so be it !

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Now there is some votes in the poll Chris, is it as you would have thought? From my point of view it is pretty much as I would have. Fairly balanced with C&R a bit more popular with the younger blokes than the older ones. This is probably a reflection that more older blokes own bigger boats and do more offshore/deep fishing for tasty morsels whilst the younger guys (with the kick of youth) are a bit more sports orientated.

Steve

Yeh Steve ........ It's pretty well what I thought & reflects more or less what I have noticed.
    i'm still curious to know why fishoes lean toward C&R

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO