View Poll Results: Do you predominantly practice C&R ... and what is your age group

Voters
262. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I do 10 - 20 years of age

7 2.67%
  • Yes I do 20 - 40 " " "

79 30.15%
  • Yes I do 40 +

68 25.95%
  • No I do not 10 - 20 years of age

3 1.15%
  • No I do not 20 - 40 " " "

43 16.41%
  • No I do not 40 +

62 23.66%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Catch & Release ...... why ?

Re: Catch & Release ...... why ?

Quote Originally Posted by odes20 View Post
    True Grit greenies will have CR fishos banned first as thats where they would get the most support. Fishing for food will be impossible to uproot. I think if Swiss is any example.
    There will prob be some real cheap boats around when it happens for us Catch and Eat fishos.

John
    how can they possibly ban catch and release fishing, and not ban fishing for food at the same time. i could still go fishing and say im catching fish for food and then just throw them back in the water, whoops i dropped it!!!
    Impossible to do it.

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

True Grit greenies will have CR fishos banned first as thats where they would get the most support. Fishing for food will be impossible to uproot. I think if Swiss is any example.
    There will prob be some real cheap boats around when it happens for us Catch and Eat fishos.

John
    Tag & Release ....... for research

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Haven't had a chance to read the whole thread, but I got into catch and release by being involved with our local fish stocking group. Having the stocked fish in our local river made it a very enjoyable place to spend an afternoon soaking a bait or flicking a lure, so why wouldn't you put them back?

The only sort of fish I don't really C&R is reef fish, if I'm fishing for reefies then I'm fishing for food, if I don't want to put fish in the freezer I won't target reefies. I reckon the mortality of released reefies is too high to target them for the purpose of release.

I'm currently enjoying the challenge of targeting tuna on fly, that's all C&R too.

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    My tastes have changed c&r is the fairly selfish side of angling today, today I would c&r a hungry jacks burger and a mackas burger but probably not a kfc chicken fillet burger.

I find I bring home over time a fair few of first two brands of burger because it's not all about me in this regard.

Fishing is much the same for some reason probably self interest/laziness bringing a fish home that was to be for me only, I may not do it and certainly wouldn't bring a lot back it's too much work after the fact with the boat thrown in and near dark.

I have known quite a few dedicated C&R anglers over my time and without fail every single one has fallen within a few category's 1. was simply do not like fish to eat , not to their taste, it's about the photo boast 2. Too lazy to do all the extra work involved and it is a lot extra sometimes 3.too much of a skirt to touch yucky things 4.cannot give a toss about those near to them who might enjoy a simple feed. 5. it's all about the bits and pieces of tackle/gear and nothing else 6. still too young/inexperienced and didn't have a solid role model to show/include them in the basics of what is bread and butter fishing while growing up, so their outlook remains stunted/immature

With my hand on my heart I can honestly say I have never known a C&R angler who did not fall into one of the category's above even if an amalgam of more than one still they will all trot out an almost radical like shade of green excuse as the real reason why they fish 'of to the side psychologically' never ever the personality trait/phobia/OCD that is the real driver of the behavior.

Man thats nuts.. I know tons of ppl who catch and release only.. just for me anyway i have one good reason.. Ever had a chat to a old timer and heard him whinge about how good the old days where when you could go down the river and catch 2 or 3 sugar bags full of fish every day.. and in the same sentence say its not like that anymore.. catch and release is about general awareness that this fishery isn't endless.
    The population has grown so has our technology. Try fishing for big yellowfin.. or southern blues.. ever seen gemfish on the menu at the fish and chip shops or blue grenadier or hake.. i just dont think that eating fish is a right.. its a privilage.
    Bagging out on fish to give to your neighbours etc does nothing but feed our ego.. its so the ppl next door think ....mate he is a good bloke.

As far as your list is concerned i find the opposite on a few aspects. I catch and release and my mate who come with me who dont are the ones usually asking me to tie their knots and get the fish off etc. lol.
    Anyway... i Guess its hard for some people to understand when you go reef fishing up north..
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Cool Re: Catch & Release ...... why ?

Quote Originally Posted by nathank View Post
    -Ever had a chat to a old timer and heard him whinge about how good the old days where when you could go down the river and catch 2 or 3 sugar bags full of fish every day..
    and in the same sentence say its not like that anymore..

-The population has grown so has our technology.

-As far as your list is concerned i find the opposite on a few aspects. I catch and release and my mate who come with me who dont are the ones usually asking me to tie their knots and get the fish off etc. lol.
    Maaate , the bag & size limits ......c-h-a-n-g-e

I reckon you "still could" catch a few sugarbags of SNAPPER/BREAM , if the sizelimit was 25cms and the bag was unlimited.

The guys asking you to check their knots.....are just trying to bignote/pat you on the back , for being an eggspurt

and you should get their fish off , to put in the Esky , because NONE of yours are contributing to the FEED

tic m8 , & why can't you C&R eggspurts fish in NFZ(s) withALL your "technology"

Quote Originally Posted by bennykenny View Post
    how can they possibly ban catch and release fishing, and not ban fishing for food at the same time. i could still go fishing and say im catching fish for food and then just throw them back in the water, whoops i dropped it!!!
    Impossible to do it.
    They have done it in Switzeland . Google it

John

Man thats nuts.. I know tons of ppl who catch and release only.. just for me anyway i have one good reason.. Ever had a chat to a old timer and heard him whinge about how good the old days where when you could go down the river and catch 2 or 3 sugar bags full of fish every day.. and in the same sentence say its not like that anymore.. catch and release is about general awareness that this fishery isn't endless.
    The population has grown so has our technology. Try fishing for big yellowfin.. or southern blues.. ever seen gemfish on the menu at the fish and chip shops or blue grenadier or hake.. i just dont think that eating fish is a right.. its a privilage.
    Bagging out on fish to give to your neighbours etc does nothing but feed our ego.. its so the ppl next door think ....mate he is a good bloke.

As far as your list is concerned i find the opposite on a few aspects. I catch and release and my mate who come with me who dont are the ones usually asking me to tie their knots and get the fish off etc. lol.
    Anyway... i Guess its hard for some people to understand when you go reef fishing up north..
    So you think hes nuts/ Pot calling the kettle black insnt it?

The species you have largely mentioned are declining from commercial overfishing are they not?
    But too say anyone who has a good bag and shares them with neighbors is ego driven to just make your neighbors think he is a good bloke is being completely nutty.
    Random acts of kindness is a beaut part of the expression of the better side of human nature, generosity is also.

Im glad I dont have you for a neighbor

John

From the starter of this thread
    Now this is not a debate about the morals etc ........ just a why & how - so its not meant to be a shite fight - so lets refrain from it!
    Starting to get that way...lets get back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by wayno60 View Post
    From the starter of this thread

Starting to get that way...lets get back on track.
    Yep - agree .......

Some interesting figures coming out of the poll though ..... I just wish that I narrowed the age group down .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

They have done it in Switzeland . Google it

John
    [The laws come into effect in 2009 but while the Swiss government does not mention Catch and Release specifically, it does say that "it is not permitted to go fishing with the 'intention' to release the fish." ]
    As was my point, Intention is very hard to prove.

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Ok maybe my views are a bit limited to some species.. i guess im targeting fish that can be fished out of an area fairly easy.. Namely jacks, ive also seen a massive decline in other species as well at spots i have fished in the past. Jewies in the Narooma inlet is a prime example. I just guess i believe some fish are best let go to give other people the chance to catch them and keep the fishery healthy.. Anyway each to their own. I will still practice my C and R for my own reasons and if people want to keep their fill its no drama with me.. You have to admit though compared to 40years ago catch and release is now 100 times more popular.
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Cool Re: Catch & Release ...... why ?

Ok maybe my views are a bit limited to some species.. i guess im targeting fish that can be fished out of an area fairly easy.. Namely jacks, ive also seen a massive decline in other species as well at spots i have fished in the past. Jewies in the Narooma inlet is a prime example. I just guess i believe some fish are best let go to give other people the chance to catch them and keep the fishery healthy.. Anyway each to their own. I will still practice my C and R for my own reasons and if people want to keep their fill its no drama with me.. You have to admit though compared to 40years ago catch and release is now 100 times more popular.
    Could explain why they do "mortality testing" nowadays , and create more & more NFZ(s) where YOU(s) can't C&R
    Think about it , is it YOU(s) enjoying C&R/Sport for your "own thrills" , and NOT "Fishing for a FEED"

Thumbs up Re: Catch & Release ...... why ?

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Yep - agree .......
    Some interesting figures coming out of the poll though ..... I just wish that I narrowed the age group down .
    Chris
    Yep ,when you're young , you don't know how to Fillet properly so prefer to C&R

As you get "more mature".....YOU DO !! so prefer to FEED your Family

You have to admit though compared to 40years ago catch and release is now 100 times more popular.
    I'm not sure that's true. There are a lot more anglers now, have the proportions fillet vs C&R changed? Unless of course you have evidence to back your statement?

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

I have been following this thread with great interest & in one aspect i have to agree with Nathank... 30 to 40 years ago i used to go to the coast for the annual holidays & keep every thing that was legal.. But nowadays i only keep what i need for a feed,, Unless i am out on a trip catching reefies where i will keep a few more.......

It also seems to me now that at some of my earlier holiday spots it is very hard now to even get a feed..

Cheers Baz