View Poll Results: Do you predominantly practice C&R ... and what is your age group

Voters
262. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I do 10 - 20 years of age

7 2.67%
  • Yes I do 20 - 40 " " "

79 30.15%
  • Yes I do 40 +

68 25.95%
  • No I do not 10 - 20 years of age

3 1.15%
  • No I do not 20 - 40 " " "

43 16.41%
  • No I do not 40 +

62 23.66%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Catch & Release ...... why ?

Re: Catch & Release ...... why ?

If it's within the bag and size limit I keep it. I don't get out much, and I enjoy eating the stuff. I don't mind it frozen, sure, fresh is better, but frozen is still good.

If I feel I have a bit too much (whatever that is) I give some to my Staff. There are a couple of struggling Families out there that I have given fish too as well. Don't they love it!

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

As a general rule, I release most of my fresh water caught stuff and keep (within the rules) a feed of saltwater fish, depending on what is caught. It also depends whether I have some in the freezer. I love seafood and especially the ones I have caught. I fall probably in the same category as Mike.

Steve

I use to catch and release most every trip. Mainly because I hate cleaning fish.
    Lately though I have been keeping more fish as the kids love them and I have got better at cleaning them makes the decision easier.
    What annoys me of late is the rant some guys give you if you kill a few good bream or Jacks.

Some of our fellow anglers are a bit fanatical about the catch and release scene.

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    If I feel I have a bit too much (whatever that is) I give some to my Staff. There are a couple of struggling Families out there that I have given fish too as well. Don't they love it!

Cheers,

Tim
    good on ya timiboy, seeing someone helping out a struggling family, we all know everyone needs help at some point, so good thing your doing there keep up the good work,

as for me I'm mainly C&R, but if i feel like a feed ill take a few fish just to feed the family for a night or two, but mainly i go down the creek spend a few hours with my brother flicking some softies just for the fun of it and to get away reality for a while,

cheers brenno

Bit of a yes/no for me.

I personally love seafood, if i could have it everyday i would, so normally I go fishing and keep desirable species, any undesirables go back. but a lot of times I do go fishing with the specific intention of C&R, though these are mostly targetting undesirable species like fresh water barra, trevally, tarpon etc. I usually always take something along to keep fish in if i decide to take some home though

I eat them.
    Nothing like fresh fish and chips on the table
    When we get enough for a feed or two (more like lucky enough) we go home and wash the boat and/or gear and start peeling the spuds for the chips.
    We all love a feed of fish around here even if the fish is a catfish...yummo!!

But if we get an undesirable species like a stingray or something we definitely release it unharmed and I have been known to do my narna at people killing a ray for the heck of it.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgy_Back View Post
    I use to catch and release most every trip. Mainly because I hate cleaning fish.
    Lately though I have been keeping more fish as the kids love them and I have got better at cleaning them makes the decision easier.
    What annoys me of late is the rant some guys give you if you kill a few good bream or Jacks.

Some of our fellow anglers are a bit fanatical about the catch and release scene.
    Yeh , trying to avoid that hard core stuff of If you knock a decent fish on the head for the table - you're the worst bugger around .
    I've gotta say though - there is a lot to be said for releasing bigger breeders ...... I know I'm not likely to kill a meter salty barra - a big flathead , snapper , bass , mulloway or even a bream ......... aside from that they are often not as good to eat as smaller ones - but they are the fish that will be either female & or the robust breeders (better level of recruitment & survival).

Something else that I noticed on a personal level was ....... as my fishing skills improved & I went from catch the odd good fish to catching them consistently ..... It became easier to put back a good fish rather than "wow look what I caught" , now bang it on the head / call the family as its fish tonight. I still have fond memories of releasing my first decent mulloway Attachment 65617 ........ & it got easier after that

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I think a lot of it comes down to the reason as to why you go fishing.

To me its not about food. Got heaps in the pantry and can buy fish'n'chips whenever the mood strikes me...

Mostly I go fishing to spend valuable time with my son (constant fishing partner), to relax and to escape the stresses of modern day life. I practice 100% catch and release but that is my choice and I have absolutely no objections for anyone taking a legal feed of fish...

Regs

Pete

Most of my fish is kept for food, there is no way I am releasing a red emperor, they are far too tasty!! In saying that on the old occasion I have had to release them as we had our bag limit. In saying that a lot of by catch is released, spangled emperor, parrot, etc if it is in good condition. I wish fish like cod released better but unfortunately this isn't the case.

I have a lot of family and friends who love fish and I am happy to share it with them, because a lot of the fun is in the catching, although sitting round the table with friends/family enjoying a lovely meal is also very enjoyable! And those people that say fish don't freeze well, then you are packing your fish wrong or freezing the wrong types of fish... Being that I eat fish 3-4 times a week it would be very expensive for me to go to a shop and purchase it, and besides you typically get crap anyway!

In saying all of that if I go snapper fishing, i will release most of the catch unless someone i am out with wants one for the table. They don't eat well compared to other reef species however they are great fun to catch on light gear. And the big breeders are always released if possible, a 2-3kg fish is much better eating than a 5kg+ one.

PS if you don't like eating fish, why go out and harm animals for fun? Thats a bit like spanish bull fighting isn't it?? Plus there is all the other environmental impacts like pollution, etc.... Hence why C&R has been banned in many overseas countries!

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    If it's within the bag and size limit I keep it. I don't get out much, and I enjoy eating the stuff. I don't mind it frozen, sure, fresh is better, but frozen is still good.

Cheers,

Tim
    Good job Tim, although my wife is an absolute bandit for fish! As is the whole family......pretty much everyone except me..... although I eat a bit if it is fresh out of the water....... they absolutely devour it all Have been known to throw the odd fish to friends etc as well......

BTW can't bloody wait to actually catch some fish!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serenity!

Being allergic to seafood - and so is my immediate family - the decision to C&R is easy for me. Although the last fishing trip I had was last September.

:/
    Cheers,
    Chris

Good to see you keep a feed as well Nagg, when you choose.

I keep most fish that are edible to eat or share. (within bag limits of course).

Also I find a lotof fish dont eat as well as they get bigger. A few exceptions are fingermark up north, Large mouth Nannygai, and Red Emporer.

Reef going Jacks are no prize eating fish after about 3 kg. Thay taste awful when big IMO.

Always release others with as much care as possible
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Spot82 View Post
    Most of my fish is kept for food, there is no way I am releasing a red emperor, they are far too tasty!! In saying that on the old occasion I have had to release them as we had our bag limit. In saying that a lot of by catch is released, spangled emperor, parrot, etc if it is in good condition. I wish fish like cod released better but unfortunately this isn't the case.

I have a lot of family and friends who love fish and I am happy to share it with them, because a lot of the fun is in the catching, although sitting round the table with friends/family enjoying a lovely meal is also very enjoyable! And those people that say fish don't freeze well, then you are packing your fish wrong or freezing the wrong types of fish... Being that I eat fish 3-4 times a week it would be very expensive for me to go to a shop and purchase it, and besides you typically get crap anyway!

In saying all of that if I go snapper fishing, i will release most of the catch unless someone i am out with wants one for the table. They don't eat well compared to other reef species however they are great fun to catch on light gear. And the big breeders are always released if possible, a 2-3kg fish is much better eating than a 5kg+ one.

PS if you don't like eating fish, why go out and harm animals for fun? Thats a bit like spanish bull fighting isn't it?? Plus there is all the other environmental impacts like pollution, etc.... Hence why C&R has been banned in many overseas countries
    !

In simplistic way you are correct ..... but then you would have to kill everything you catch .... then eat it - live baiting would be a big no no.
    In reality - most fish have a great survival rate if handled correctly - fish caught on lures even better , the use of circle hooks when game fishing - all add to a fishes chance of survival
    Deep water C&R - that needs to be better thought out !
    Fortunately most people who fish C&R do try their best to release fish in the best condition.
    Thankfully C&R is allowed and encouraged ........

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    In simplistic way you are correct ..... but then you would have to kill everything you catch .... then eat it - live baiting would be a big no no.
    In reality - most fish have a great survival rate if handled correctly - fish caught on lures even better , the use of circle hooks when game fishing - all add to a fishes chance of survival
    Deep water C&R - that needs to be better thought out !
    Fortunately most people who fish C&R do try their best to release fish in the best condition.
    Thankfully C&R is allowed and encouraged ........

Chris
    You struggled to answer his point Chris=in respect of hurting animals just for the thrill. I dont have a better explanation myself other than to say a preservation purist would never go and catch a fish on purpose, ever, so catch and release people could never feel above fish eaters again, from a love of animals/preserve the species philosophy?
    It would be like, "Please dont eat all the fish as we want some left that we can hurt in the future just for our pleasure?"

Difficult Issues.

John

have practised catch and release for a while now, dont get me wrong i do keep the odd flathead between 40-55cm and a feed of whiting. but there is just something about whatching a fish big or small swim out of the hand that gets me everytime