Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cast nets for prawns

Re: Cast nets for prawns

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    Swabio, from a kayak I have no idea, but you can try and see what happens.

I hope you have freeboard below as you will need the net to be placed on the kayak , open the pocket and put prawns in a container without tipping over .

Shells and all.

bondy99
    Well.... it is a hobie pro angler........... so pretty stable beast...... (apparently......i can't say yet, as I haven't had it out yet )

Might have to give it a test with my old net, before hitting Pero up for one!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serenity!

I can tell you this much , if you get Pero's custom made nets it will out perform all of BCF's and Surecatch crappy nets.

They open smooth and with chain on the bottom instead of lead you will have no problem

Quote Originally Posted by Pero View Post
    Thats a bit like saying your vbetter off buying your fish. Its the fun of cathing the prawns! its a bit addictive. But on the subject of shop prices, lets say prawns 15-20cm banana prawns sell for $10 per kilo. Friday I got 10litres. Saturday likewise . Yesterday likewise. 30 litres aproximately 25kg+ $250 worth. They are around till may-june. You can get numerous feeds over this period. Last year I estimate I got a bucket at least 20 times(200 litres).
    And I eat them all.
    Would never.never entertain the idea of selling them neither!
    Agree with you, prawning is addictive. There are a few other things to take into consideration too... My previous boat was powered by 70hp 2s, a trip around the mouth of the Logan, Rudy maas and back would gobble 40 lrs of juice easy, so unless you have an economical setup such as a tinnie with a 25hp motor, add this cost to your trips... and unlike some who can get out day after day to chase them while they are there, and I am slaving away at work, there is nothing like the disappointment of getting out there for zip and blokes out there say "you should have been here yesterday, they were pulling a kilo a throw"..... so add the costs of unsuccessful trips, when Woolies are selling green banana prawns @ $14.00 a Kilo, Bondy is up to his 6th net....

Forget all that!! Get out there and have a go!!. When you have thrown your net perfectly, you start pulling the net in and feel that unmistakable pull on the rope because of a dozen prawns as thick as your thumb are trapped in the top pocket, forget the logistics, you'll have a ball.

Scalem

Good on ya Scalem,

That's the spirit. My 6th net it is, over time but you do get what you pay for and those prawns in Woolies and / or Coles are nowhere near fresh..they have been frozen and thawed many times over.

Get out amongst them whilst one can and enjoy the sweet prawns any which way that tickles your taste buds.

Curried prawns, coconut prawns, even smoked prawns, prawn and avacado, etc, etc.

bondy

Is there anywhere around the redlands to go off the bank chasing prawns that some one would like to share

Quote Originally Posted by swabio View Post
    hmmm i wonder how hard it is to throw a net from a kayak.........
    Hey SWABIO if your gonna have a go make sure you got someone standing by with the video camera could be interesting footage
    Greg

I use cheap nets I buy from the local tackle shop, usually the JARVIS WALKER 10'. It is a big net for the price.If I only threw in the Bay I would spend more on good nets. There is a huge difference in throwability (if that is a word) between custom made and off-the-shelf but I am normally up creeks and get snagged often. I cast for bait mostly and prawns in season. I would love to hear how other blokes do it. One technique I would like to share is the "two person throw". I might take out kids, couples or Dad & son. A great way to throw for two inexperienced people working together is to leave the lead line on the deck, gather a bit up each and "1,2,3 HEAVE!" It is amazing how well this works and gets people catching stuff straight away. It also takes a load off my ageing and surgically repaired shoulder....