Thread: Feb 25, White Rhino strikes out!

Feb 25, White Rhino strikes out!

OMG didn't the weather forecast look sweet! Marty sent me a note saying how 'bout it, Tropicrows is coming too. About time I went fishing, so it was "$%ck YEAH!" Knowing Marty's boat, and the fact that I was meant to be catching up with Wags to do some work on the car, I asked if he could come too? See response above...

On the ramp at 4:40 at Manly, a quick call to Wags who we found had slept in. Bye... The three of us left, slight chop across the Bay, the long, sleek bum of the White Rhino taking all in her stride. What a boat! She has long, sexy legs, with that Yammie's 300 horses belting out music behind us all the way.

Liveys at the beacons, including a triple hookup on a strange looking fish, about 20cm. Looked like Snapper, but aren't they extinct or something? Couple of nice pike and slimeys, plenty of herring. Beauty, here we go.

Up and around, greeted by lovely sea on rounding the Cape, a decent swell and a bit of breeze, but no caps. Really nice. Started a troll around Brennans with two liveys out. We had a couple of hittishes (BLOODY TURTLE!) but nothing of note except one that Marty couldn't hook up on. We got jack of that after a couple of hours, put on a couple of hard bodies and skirts, for a spread of 4. Nothin'. Changed lures, nothin'. Headed towards Hutchies, nuthin'. Nuthin' nuthin' nuthin' NUTHIN'!!!

The Tournament Boys from down South were mostly reporting 0,0,0 as well, so we didn't feel so bad.

We ran into Billy C at Hutchies, and was't having luck with any legal fish. He pushed us out a little deeper, where we chucked around some plastics for a while and Marty tried a livey down deep. Not much going on there, Bruce got smashed up, Marty struck at a fish and nearly took the roof off the boat with the biggest yank I've EVER seen - ripped the poor fishes mouth out I reckon! I got smashed and had a big run, just stood there waiting for it to bust off, as the fish was beyond the S10's limits. He got off after a short fight and lots of head shakes. If it was a Snapper, it was from down South, 'cause it was very, very large... A much bigger fish than any Snaps I've caught before.

We pulled the pin soon after, and headed for Tanga's for a beer and a burger. As we were hooking up the boat we watched a 4 foot shark meandering towards this Chinese Tourist. Marty suggested she get out of the water - she was rather surprised, but took his advice! Wisely, imo... Beer was MAGIC. Burger was MAGIC. Chips were MAGIC! Scenery was... OK - less than expected...

Back at the ramp by about 3:30, knackered but happy. Great boat, great trip, great Company. Thanks Boys, looking forward to next time!

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Re: Feb 25, White Rhino strikes out!

mmmm.

Marty ? where was my phone call ... ? huh huh ?????

All good Timi.

How did Bruce " upchucker " go ?

I will have to get out very soon. I have a couple of lay days myself, leading into a frenzied weekend.

Well, all this practice will be put to use in September.... but of course, Red fish WILL hit the deck.

Cheers phill
    l
    l
    .><> ><>
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Not real good on the fish front tim, be carefull of the stonefish on moreton side of tangalooma wrecks we headed over there two sundays ago and the misses stood on one walking out of the water onto the island, she just got out of hospital yesterday as the spike went through her toe and got infected and was put on the drip with a series of antibiotics.

I think she must have just been very unlucky due to maybe the floods may have put these ugly buggers in different locations to where they are normally found.

The Stonefish are always around the main jetty and the remains of the old Tanga jetty. Also be a bit wary around any logs or random rocks around that area.

Glad ya missus is ok! They are nasty buggers!

Cheers,
    Myles

timboy u know the old story
    missed by a day

tangas was great on saturday tim bmw function thing or something more scenery then you would of seen sitting on the highest point of fitzroy,

also found a stonefish indy on saturday north of the wrecks at the sandhills swimming on top of the water where we were swimming lookd to be very sick and disorientated

Tim

Marty & Tim,

No fish but it was a great day out on the water, theirs always next time boys. White Rhino what a nice setup, rides well and that yamie just purrs, and Marty what a top skipper, lollies, coffee, tea, educational reading material.
    No upchuck this time Phill, felt fine all day.....
    Thanks for the advice on the stone fish, just wish I had read this thread earlier; spent Sunday with my lovely partner Alli and her son Keegan around Tanga's swimming, crabbing etc (no crabs either, only undersize bucks) and no stone fish thank god.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Timi & Co, looks like you had a great day (you prick ) and even though no fish I reckon it would have been sweeeeeet out on the water!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serenity!

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    We got jack of that after a couple of hours, put on a couple of hard bodies and skirts, for a spread of 4. Nothin'. Changed lures, nothin'. Headed towards Hutchies, nuthin'. Nuthin' nuthin' nuthin' NUTHIN'!!!
    Thanks for the report Tim - What depth were you trolling? and how much wider did you head out? I seemed to have most of my action on the 18 Fathom line on Friday. All Stripies I think based on the two I managed to boat.

Rhino...

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoc View Post
    Thanks for the report Tim - What depth were you trolling? and how much wider did you head out? I seemed to have most of my action on the 18 Fathom line on Friday. All Stripies I think based on the two I managed to boat.

Rhino...
    We trolled in everything from Brennans out to about 90m. There was some bird action around 11 o'clock a couple of k's NE of the Cape, but it was scattered and very touchy. Bonito I think.

The only fun we had (on plastics) was on the 40m line East of Hutchies.

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.