Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: LandCruiser Ute, why no 4 door?

LandCruiser Ute, why no 4 door?

I have always wondered why Toyota never released the Cruiser Ute in a 4 door. I think a 4 door version of the current Ute with some decent interior styling (even copy the wagon) would sell like hotcakes. I have come across a lot of people in my time that have said that they would have bought one if it was available. for what ever reason they went with a ute or a wagon and are still not completely happy.

It can't be because of competing sales of the Hilux, otherwise you wouldn't have several different wagons in different sizes. A turbo V8 diesel Dual cab could not compare to a hilux, especially considering how soft they have become in recent years. A mate of mine has recently told me that his mine in emerald will not buy another Hilux or Isuzu because they simply can not cut it and keep falling apart

Surely the mining sector would buy enough of these to warant the experiment in Australia?

Even having two versions may make sence. One on the current chasis with a shorter tray and an extended one with the same size tray as the Ute.

What are your thoughts?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Re: LandCruiser Ute, why no 4 door?

I priced cutting down a new 76 series into a twin cab two years ago when I was looking at utes. The standard wagon came in at about $75k. The thing that got me was that it was subject to the 'luxury vehicle tax'. No abs, no airbags (there's one now) - who is the gov't kidding?

I think that tax has something to do with the outrageous prices that Toyoto charge for their vehicles... That wont change while people keep paying toyota prices.

I would love a bigger dual cab without having to go to something ridiculously oversized like the f trucks.

I notice toyota is bringing back the short wheel base cruiser too.

You mean in the 200 Series style? i hadnt heard that.

Anyone seen the new FJ45 look alike job???
    Retro look.. I didnt like it
    Jim

Yeah, the new FJ45 lookalike is pretty unattractive.
    Apparently they have been out in the US for a while with mixed reviews.

Wish they would remake older model car with the same body design, but upgraded mechanics, electrics and safety.
    Landrover must be the only ones to have maintained almost completely the same look over the life of its Defender model.
    If only they weren't 50K.....+

how about a defender 130

plenty of room and great towing

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    A mate of mine has recently told me that his mine in emerald will not buy another Hilux or Isuzu because they simply can not cut it and keep falling apart
    A fair few drilling companies tried that a few years ago in the cooper basin. Didn't take long and they were back to toyotas

As for the cut down wagon. I personally don't reckon sales would be all that good. A few would sell at first though. Good idea in theory but just couldn't see it working out for toyota in the long run.

I can't really see what the point is either. Maybe I'm missing something - i used to think it would be a good idea but. Who's gonna buy it and who's gonna actually use it? Remember it would be ridiculously priced.

Just my thoughts anyway

Lachie

heres the article i read
    jim

Isn't the FJ just a v6 prado with a different lid?

I still can't believe no one produces a 4X4 dual cab ute V8, I reckon it'd sell like hotcakes. Imagine it, Ranger 5.0L dual cab, Colorado with de-tuned 6.0L or even a Hilux with the 4.5 turbo diesel V8.

Lachie I am not talking about a cut down wagon, I am talking about a 4 door version of the current boxy ute. Sure for the rediculous prices they would want I would want an interior similar to the 200LC. I am sure mines would buy them, apparently a lot of mines are unhappy with the life they get out of their dual cabs and that would fix that problem right away.

Pleanty of people require 2 things, a 4 door etc because they have kids or what ever and a decent pulling power for large boats etc. That forces people to buy a wagon because there s no ute available. Too bad if your a tradie with kids and a big boat to pull, your stuffed.

reality..if you want a ute buy a ute..if you want 4 doors buy a sedan.

mines had a lot of problems with the cruiser ute no meeting safety standards they want something to do with the airbags..... might have changed