Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: LandCruiser Ute, why no 4 door?

Ironically Toyota announced last week they are killing the 70 series in 2017. Simply because the only customers who buy them in Aus (Rhio Tinto and Bhp) are moving WPHS standards to five star crash ratings.

Toyota said they never would have done the dual can 70 if they new the mines were heading this way.

So enjoy them while you can. They are not to destined for this world much longer.

Looks like the Hilux will go 5 star next year and will replace the 70 series as the trick of choice.

Re: LandCruiser Ute, why no 4 door?

The Hilux better make some significant performance/durability advances just to come up to par with the new models of Ranger/BT50/Colarado.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

I don't get the safety concerns and I see they are grandfathering existing stuff for a period? The extra safety rating isn't going to help with the sort of on site accidents I know of . Serious solid metal of the cruiser has saved a few and the fact that the chassis don't corrode out, no electronics to speak of etc etc . Maybe they will do a special Hilux from the factory strengthened etc or just turn them over a lot faster. The amount they will spend on suspension on a standard if it has tanks / toolboxes and at the price of all that you may as well head to a nps300 for heavier stuff and do wet brakes from the start.

Just trialing a hilux to get it tough a, protected and sorted will cost them heaps in changeover.

Would you rather be in a hilux or a cruiser in the mine accidents any of you guys have seen?

I agree but this is how it's going.

I guess in a really simplistic and twisted way, the new Hilux/Colorado and the like a much beter car/4X4 combo, whereas the Landcruiser type is just a simple and robust work ute, so from that, they have limited appeal to the average guy, when you consider they cost a bucket load of cash to buy, and a pretty ordinary on road car/ute compromise, if the mines don't buy them, then they would scrap the model.

Just got back from CQ chatting to a new LC ute owner....... springs shat almost from new and now he needs airbag suspension in rear to keep the ute level. Everything else is good.

He upgraded from a Rodeo............ bugga !

my stats.

771 k's from home to Charleville. 8 hours and 1 minute ( bloody road works everywhere ).
    Fuel......... 81 ltrs. Colorado d/cab diesel alloy tray and B/Bar, manual.

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here