Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: LandCruiser Ute, why no 4 door?

Re: LandCruiser Ute, why no 4 door?

It can be done...

200 Series. There is none better.

Would Mumsy let me do that to her favourite car? Not on your nelly!!!!

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

The problem is without a major suspension modification and a GVM upgrade, the payload on a 200series will be pretty poor.

If you look at the pictures above, they have been stretched between the axles so the ramp over will be piss poor.

If you do a 6 wheel upgrade, ya not driving all 6 wheels so the AWD capabilty will be pretty piss poor combined with the poor ramp over

serioulsy chaps and chapettes...there is no free lunch.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

I have an 80 series dual cab with 600mm chassis extension.
    The conversion was done back in 99, and the chassis has some heavy duty plating mods done to it. The 1HZ with turbo goes ok, fuel economy isn't comparable to a newer CR diesel. Then again the torque of the 1HZ more than makes up for it pulling the boat up the ramp
    The tray is 2mtr long but I'm getting ready to build another tray at 1800 long as the overhang is painfull when hooking up the boat, or connecting the cables for the winch.
    I like the look of ours with the rear wheel arches filled in, it looks a bit factory and heaps better than the toolboxes usually fitted there. I have seen a 105 converted that had the rear doors extended to cover the wheel arch and when they were opened, the wheel arch was exposed for storage.
    It rides like a car with the airbag rear suspension, no coils just bags and shocks. Great for leveling the ride out with a load on the back. When the front coils need replacing, they might go to airbag as well with an in car controller.

One day i'll find a good 1HD-FTE for it and do the conversion, a Duramax/Allison conversion would be nice but I would have to win the lotto first

Here's a old pic when we brought it last year, brought some decent rubber and steel bullbar for it since then.

Ally Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Jack View Post
    It rides like a car with the airbag rear suspension, no coils just bags and shocks. Great for leveling the ride out with a load on the back. When the front coils need replacing, they might go to airbag as well with an in car controller.
    Ally Jack
    Hey matey...is there a compliance plate for the airbags?
    I was wanting to put bags on the Holden 1 tonner and they wouldn't let me for one reason or another.
    I wanted to put a boggy drive on the back and bag the rear to cater for the weight I carried all the time when I was working.

I was told they do not allow bags to be retrofitted to anything less then a truck was so the young w@nkers couldn't bag cars and utes like they do to the pimp mobiles in the US.

To me bags make a lot of sense for a lot of legitimate users.

Not every one who has a 4x4 wants to take them extreme off-roading.
    To some entry and exit angle, ramp over and all that stuff means nothing.
    I actually want to lower my 4x4 by 50mm but I can't with the torsion bar setup.
    I know of a lot of other older people who have lowered their 4x4's to make life easier for themselves.
    They want them for the towing capacity and room not their 4 wheel drive capacity or ability.
    And I wouldn't be testing ramp angles and that ramp thingo on a car that cost me over $100,000.
    For that I have a $4,500 Pajero and a Series II Landy.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Triple, thats pretty much what I am talking about. Something like that would sell like hotcakes IMO.

GBC that thing is crazy, why are you selling it after all the investment? What an awesome rig to take round the country. What would you tow with it safely you think?

Not mine - just a cut and past from another site. I'd have to give up smoking (again) to own something like that. It's never going to fit out the front of my local 7/11.

Toyota do have a large dual cab ute in the states called the tundra they have the 4.7 or 5.7 v8 petrol in them, they are about the same size as a F150 which with the twin turbo v8 diesel out of the 200 would be awesome over here and they can tow 4.5ton too

Timi that gun metal grey on in the middle is hot! Something like that with a workable tray would be sweet! If only that was a factory option.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Hey Scott,
    What is a BOGGY DRIVE ?
    Know what you mean't , only putting sh1t on ya.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Freshwater Tragic View Post
    Hey Scott,
    What is a BOGGY DRIVE ?
    Know what you mean't , only putting sh1t on ya.
    Shawn
    Oh you young fella's. Just don't know anything useful.
    A boggy drive is a good one to stop you get bogged. Duuurrr
    What do they teach you youngun's now a days??

And they reckon I'm a sh!t stirrer??

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Hey matey...is there a compliance plate for the airbags?
    I was wanting to put bags on the Holden 1 tonner and they wouldn't let me for one reason or another.
    I wanted to put a boggy drive on the back and bag the rear to cater for the weight I carried all the time when I was working.

I was told they do not allow bags to be retrofitted to anything less then a truck was so the young w@nkers couldn't bag cars and utes like they do to the pimp mobiles in the US.

To me bags make a lot of sense for a lot of legitimate users.

Not every one who has a 4x4 wants to take them extreme off-roading.
    To some entry and exit angle, ramp over and all that stuff means nothing.
    I actually want to lower my 4x4 by 50mm but I can't with the torsion bar setup.
    I know of a lot of other older people who have lowered their 4x4's to make life easier for themselves.
    They want them for the towing capacity and room not their 4 wheel drive capacity or ability.
    And I wouldn't be testing ramp angles and that ramp thingo on a car that cost me over $100,000.
    For that I have a $4,500 Pajero and a Series II Landy.
    Finga,

No compliance plate is necessary for the airbags but apparetly by law in Queensland you can't control them from inside the vehicle ( I guessing to stop the jumping cars thing, an apprentice at work told me this, he's right into the lowrider utes thing).
    A mate has a 6 wheeler 80 series with airbags in all 4 in the back, with incar control to allow him to dump air if he straddles a ditch/loses drive etc. to get the drive axle back on the ground.

I'm the same with the rampover thing - it's just one part of the vehicle's capability. The truck now suits us to a tee, we use it as a 4x4 often and as a offroad tourer/ boat hauler it is great

Ally Jack

Why don't they just sell the Dyna 200 twincab 4WD they sell in a lot of other countries

I used to see a lot of the Dyna/Delta 4WD twincabs getting about in the 80s and 90s
    Mitsubishi sold a canter here a while ago

A dyna twin cab with the V8 TD would be a great tow truck
    If You Can't Run With The Dogs....... Stay On The Porch

I never brought one when I was working because I didn't like cab overs.
    The only alternative I had was the F series.
    The cab-over just were not as comfortable as a long bonnet. Has that changed?
    Height was another restriction I had. I hated climbing into a cab 50 times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaclone View Post
    Mitsubishi sold a canter here a while ago
    I've seen smoother riding pogo sticks

You are right, the cab overs are nothing like a car to drive, with the cab isolation(or a cab suspension conversion) they can be just as or more comfortable to drive than most bonneted 4WD utes and you can have the rear suspension upgraded to airbags since they are a truck

New models have independent coil front suspension, disc brakes(twin caliper fronts) all round, SRS airbags, power everything, nice interiors, manual or auto gearboxes,

no matter what you get it's always a compromise, but they will seat 6 adults, be as good offroad as any of the 4WDs(except extreme 4wding) and most will have a greater towing capacity of all the larger 4WDs.... plus you get an exhaust brake
    their fording ability will also be better than the Pootrol/Cruisers

even better, they will cost about the same as a standard 78series ute

Engine wise I think they are running the 3.7L turbo diesel engine
    If You Can't Run With The Dogs....... Stay On The Porch

What about one of these? http://www.earthcruiser.com.au/ They are building them as a dual cab ute as well as a camper. As a dual cab they come in around 90k. Not as "nice" as a dual cab cruiser but another option.