Thread: Spinfisher 850 ssm?

Spinfisher 850 ssm?

Hi there,

Picked up two combos today.. Both Penn Spinfisher 850ssm matched to Penn Ultimate 10-15kg 2.1m rods. Price was $45ea, yep, $45.. Seemed cheap.

Anyway, I bought them without knowing what I would do with them... Will they be ballsy enough to tangle with the big fish off the urangan pier at hervey bay? I guess I would put something like 60lb braid on them.

I guess they would also go alright at the base of a surf rod or two?

Does anyone know how ballsy the drag on these are?

Cheers

Matt.

ps: What's the ssm stand for?

Re: Spinfisher 850 ssm?

Quote Originally Posted by Chamelion View Post
    Hi there,

Picked up two combos today.. Both Penn Spinfisher 850ssm matched to Penn Ultimate 10-15kg 2.1m rods. Price was $45ea, yep, $45.. Seemed cheap.

Anyway, I bought them without knowing what I would do with them... Will they be ballsy enough to tangle with the big fish off the urangan pier at hervey bay? I guess I would put something like 60lb braid on them.

Cheers

Matt.

You know how some weirdos are into that s & m stuff?

I think it's got something to do with that.

Nice pick up by the way.

TOL

Hi Matt,

They are a great reliable reel, but they don't have a great deal of drag, I think around 20lbs max or so. They take a massive amount of line, so 60lb might be ok just to fill it up better.

They should be fine for fishing off the end of the pier. Heaps of pelagics that make big runs, so having all that line should be fine.

In fact, I might even bring mine back home on R&R and have a go off the end of the pier myself.

Cheers,
    Ben

ps, the "m" means metal body, but don't know what the "ss" means
    pps, put some grease on your drag clicker and spring, as they rust and break extremely easily.

Cheers Sounds like they're worth trying out anyway. You're right about the drag. I tightened it right up and I was still able to turn the spool by hand. The washers look like they belong in a much smaller reel. Still, many smaller reels have too much drag, so perhaps 20lb will be plenty?

The SS stands for Stainless Steel as it has stainless bearings. I have one and get nearly 10kg drag out of it which is plenty as far as I am concerned.
    BTW has any of you actually tried to hang onto a rod with that level of drag and a big fish on?.

I think I have about 200m of 50lb mono with 300m of 50lb braid on top of that.
    At $45 I would have bought as many as I could

Wow, that's a HEAP of line. Talk about capacity.

so where did you buy it from. ???

Quote Originally Posted by FishHunter View Post
    BTW has any of you actually tried to hang onto a rod with that level of drag and a big fish on?.
    Most drag settings for Heavy Jigging are 10 - 12KG going up to 15 when on a solid hook up, HD GT Popping is similar but a bit higher, 12-20kg.
    Amongst the bommies in the Blue holes it's 'NO LINE OUT' .

Limit your Catch - Don't Catch your Limit

Quote Originally Posted by Chamelion View Post
    Hi there,

Cheers

Matt.

The SS is for Skirted Spool. The black and gold 100 series were the first skirted spool spinfishers after the 700 series green reels, then came the 1000 series and now the SSM series. The M is for metal body.

geees, I forgot about the old green spinfishers, there was a time when if you did not have one, then you would not catch fish, I was a bit of an outcast back then, I had a Mitchel!

I reckon theres plenty of drag on em, but if youre unsure, you can get a Jack Erskine carbotex drag washer upgrade. Id wait until the new washers wore out first tho.

Id be happy with 30lb braid for the pier. Id rather have lotsa line capacity, than a shorter length of stronger line. Very easy to be spooled in 200m, and very disappointing too.

Andrew
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.

Thanks lads Unsure on what line will go on them yet. Either a thicker 30lb (power pro) or a thinner 50lb (Rovex)... Will see, plenty of time.

What I will say is that I love how industrial they feel. Handle spins really easy and they simply feel 'meaty'. Looking forward to using them in anger.

penn reels are underated imo. not bias of course.
    i know the the 9500 was called the 9500ss (us made version)
    and the more rescent 950ssm (chinese made version),not sure wether
    its the same for the 850,regardless id say its made in china,not that
    it matters.i have a 9500ss and a nice little 360 slammer,the 360 is chinese,
    to be honest you would have to be pretty good to pick it. for overall brute
    strength,simplicity and practicality you cant go past a penn. you got an
    absolute bargain on that one mate. 60lb braid sounds spot on.
    nice buy.there a little heavy and basic compared to todays gear,but as tough
    as old boots.

Cheers

As tough as old boots is what I want for my bigger gear.

Did you get out on Urangan Pier to test them out??

I was hoping to get out there Monday Morning to test mine out, but the weather wasn't looking too great.

Cheers,
    Ben