Thread: Best knots

Best knots

Just wondering everyones opinions on the best knots to use for joining lines.

i want to start doing alot of lure fishing and was wondering what braid to fluoro joining knots are best suited to light lines for bream and heavy line for spaniards.

are bimini twists necessary.

Re: Best knots

I've a huge fan of bimni twists! Learn. Guides bimni you do the whole knot in your hand you don't uses your knees and crap to tie it.

I use bimni then to an improved allbright running the double of the bimni through the albright. The whole process takes what, 1 minute? You can tie them fast.

I use this for everything, small stuff, Spanish, jigging, reef fishing EVERYTHING!

Others will have their own favorites and that's mine

I have never had a failure since I started to use this system, touch wood

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by four_button_arnie View Post
    I've a huge fan of bimni twists! Learn. Guides bimni you do the whole knot in your hand you don't uses your knees and crap to tie it.

I use bimni then to an improved allbright running the double of the bimni through the albright. The whole process takes what, 1 minute? You can tie them fast.

I use this for everything, small stuff, Spanish, jigging, reef fishing EVERYTHING!

Others will have their own favorites and that's mine

I have never had a failure since I started to use this system, touch wood

Josh
    I agree completely. Once you know how to tie a bimini, you're set!

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

I use the bimini knot in braid to join a mono leader. I use the leaders made up with dacron and use a cats paw to join the two loops. 30lb braid and 35lb leader cast easily through no 6 sized micro's. (or are they 4's - cant remember)

I use the uni knot in 50lb+ mono for swivels

I snell hooks using 50 - 80lb mono (most times with a stinger, also snelled)

All for offshore use.

Great knots above as well, I use the Yucatan knot, way faster, symmetrical knot that will never let you down. For the double I use a Surgeons loop or Three turn Water knot as its known in UK.
    Caught huge reefies, monster Dam barra, never had it fail yet.
    The Slim Beauty is also a great knot! for joining braid to mono leaders, say 50lb Braid to 80 or 60lb leaders. A guide put me on it and its incredibly strong as a knot. I know some people will argue, but you dont need a double half as much as many think! IMO
    Cheers
    Flatzie

I use the Improved Albright without a Bimini. I have tried a dozen or so knots and keep going back to it. Whatever knot you tie give it a bit of saliva lubrication and snug it up well. If it looks a bit off then do it again
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Just recently changed to Improved Albright knot as my previous knot which is actually called a no name knot, would not cinch down 100% 50-60lb fluorocarbon.

Going to the Improved Albright has saved creating a double so its now for me a one action knot. While testing new knots I found the knot on a a Surgeons Loop would break every time before anything else let go, so out the door that went.

Also cant see the need of a double but its your own choice. In bigger breaking strains the Slim Beauty is fat and ugly for me ( dont know how it got such a name.

John

pr knot...no need for a bimini which was your question, for larger line classes, sort of a knot you dont want to tie quickly...for lighter lines then slim beauty, a knot you dont want to tie at night or short sighted eyes for me.

but if at night well I couldnt tie any of the above easily or a improved albright, so i reckon a simple connection is bit like Flatzie, a Harro quickie double to make a double then with a cairns quickie...(not brilliant for casting ) but a really easy quick connection.

Harro quickie double is good in braid and is basically form a loop with doubled line, make a 4 turn overhand knot and pull tight. attached is the cairns quickie pic. Sort of reckon Harro knows what he is doing and doesnt think the bimini is as magic as all say unless its tied perfectly and this is just as good and can be tied blindfolded.
    Tangles KFC

i have always used an improved albright without a double in the braid, but started having trouble with the leader pulling through so started using a bimini and haven't had a problem since. IMO a bimini is more importent when joining leaders that are much thicker then the main line. i use a 50-70 turn bimini for all my lines between 4 and 40lbs

Thats great fellas. didnt think id get so many responses. ive always read through the knot guides you see everywere and wondered which are most commenly used and more succesfull. So thanks fro clearing that up for me. Normally i do a far bit of bait fishing so usually just have a swivel.

Ive havent used doubles and joining knots that much so your opinions have been helpful. I dont have a boat suitable for offshore yet but looking at the moment so these knots will come handy in the future. The albright seems fairly easy for the small fish that im chasing at the moment. But double to double seems a bit stronger for the big stuff

Great help.