Thread: What are the options for trolling at 18kn

What are the options for trolling at 18kn

Hi all,

Are there any options for trolling for tuna, mackeral etc while steaming out to your mark if you are doing around 18 knots give or take.
    I have read about the sebile bongo jerk 215 that is built to handle 20 kn but it is very exy and hard to find a supplier. Are skirts an option and what type would be best. I really have have no idea on the options.
    If it is possible do i need to run higher than 30lb line mainline or would it be fine if the drag is set right.
    Any help with lure type and methods would be great.

cheers
    scott

Re: What are the options for trolling at 18kn

I have made some skirted bullet heads that run well at 15 - 18 knots. Got to run them on 24 kg and even that loads up a fair bit. Got to run them a fair way back too, as they won't flatline with a rubber band, just breaks even oversized bands

A few of the heavier Hex Head styles will stick in until around 18knots and a strike would be pretty spectacular
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

the strike is amaaaaazzzzzzing............ quickest you'll ever see line come off a reel

I need another bigger reel for this purpose, as I very nearly got spooled just on the first strike / run of a wahoo strike with 24 kg mono on a TLD 20 at 18 knots

got to pull up and turn around really fast cos there just isn't very much line on the reel to start with - the lure has to run a long way back to make it stay in the water and not bounce / jump, so not much line on the reel at initial strike anyway

Always used to run a skirt at those speeds (and faster too if i remember the boat wake and the sound of the engine) when headed out deep and back too, my father was the skipper and I was just a kid, i have not done it since. Used to catch fish but considering over time all of the fish caught while trolling I cannot for the life of me remember any specific fish landed by just this method, i do know that even when heading through Moreton Bay but closer to Moreton island it caught fish.

Not sure if they are still in production but the Reflecta bibless lures used to claim running speeds to 20knots

Most of the bigger high speed Jet heads will work at that speed, but as stated will have to run a long way back depending on the conditions.

Cheers Lee

Thanks guys. I will look into some heavy skirts and see what i can find. Might even see what bibless lures are out there as well.

Is there any advantage using mono or braid. The reason i ask is the only heavy outfit i have is loaded with 80lb braid and i dont really have gear suited to 24kg mono that isnt being used.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on brand and model skirts ?

I have found most of the metal hex head styles seem to work much the same as each other. I would run mono as it is a bit more forgiving and the stretch allows the lure to stay in the water better. I use braid to about 15knts and it works OK
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Your braid will be OK, just run enough drag to hold the lure in place, and run an extra long mono leader or mono topshot to take up some of the shock of the strike.

You can go up to your normal strike drag of 12kg once you have slowed the boat down to normal trolling speed.

As mentioned, any of the heavy, solid hex or bullet heads work well.

You can run them through a Rupp Rollertroller rigged as a flat line clip to keep the tow point low so that you dont have to run them so far back.

On 24 or 37kg mono, I use number 32 rubber bands (break at 6-7kg) and short "taglines" made from spectra that I run as flat line taglines of the stern cleat. Works well.

Check Wellsys for the "Taranggau" heads in the largest size. Very heavy for their size and are a favourite of mine.

Cheers,
    Myles