Thread: Sinkers and braid

Sinkers and braid

Hi guys,

I want to start planing for some bream fishing over winter. I want to do some evening baiting but the only suitable weight outfits I have are spooled with braid.
    Whats the best rig to use without the sinker running on the braid?

Thanks
    Shane

Re: Sinkers and braid

You can run a long leader pea sinker onto the hook. I used that rig with a fair bit of success on Bream. If not then tie a long mono leader then attach sinker, swivel and then mono or flouro trace to hook
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

you could run the sinker on a mono leader like most people, use a red float stopper bead with a rubber gromet if you dont want the sinker all the way to the hook........or run the sinker on the braid like I do. I prefer the sinker above the leader knot. no swivel, and let the bait move in the current.

I dont get too many problems. It can occaisionally get twisted, but only in strong current, and usually if theres weed around to catch it. my baits rarely in the water for longer than 10 mins, so it doesnt matter.

Bream will take both rigs, so it wont matter too much. Berley up for big bream at night.
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.

Why bother?
    Sinker running on braid works well enough.
    That's what I always do.

When I use a sinker on braid I always use a bead to stop the sinker damaging the knot - I've had issues with that in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneJ View Post
    Hi guys,

I want to start planing for some bream fishing over winter. I want to do some evening baiting but the only suitable weight outfits I have are spooled with braid.
    Whats the best rig to use without the sinker running on the braid?

Thanks
    Any chance you could source another spare spool for your reel and then fill it with mono. That way when you change between baiting and luring it's quite easy just to remove the spoool and put the one you want on. I find that very convenient.

You guys don't have any trouble with the sinker wearing the braid at all? This and what sprocketman mentioned about damaging the not is what I was concerned about.

Shane

I did not mention it but I always run a small plastic/rubber bead between the sinker and knot with braid like sprocketman said (and mono as well, just in case). As I do a bit of fishing overnight I use lumo beads.
    This is to protect the knot.

You might find that it is braid wearing a slot in the sinker (or easy rig plastic) rather than the other way round.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneJ View Post
    You guys don't have any trouble with the sinker wearing the braid at all? This and what sprocketman mentioned about damaging the not is what I was concerned about.

Just to clarify - I'm using fairly big sinkers - #2 and bigger (takes a bit of lead to keep bottom on a 6m tide)- if I was using a small sinker I wouldn't bother with the bead.

Ive found that the the larger bean sinkers running up and down in the same spot can fray the braid, so from the braid, swivel, 100mm of what ever size line im using for a leader, sinker on there, another swivel then back to the main leader down to the hook.

Thanks guys
    Shane

I would change sinker weight 3-4 times in a session, so its never on long enough to worry the knot. Its a bugger tying a new double uni knot every hour tho.
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.