Thread: Muddies & load rating

Muddies & load rating

I struggle to find a legal, load rated mud tyres for my Ranger.All the major brands are below the minimum 109 rating exept toyo who dont have my size 235/75/15.What do you run on your 4b ute?
    George
    At Heaven's gate a soldier stood,
    his story ready to tell,
    St Peter said, 'no need my son all is understood,
    Go right in cos you've already served your time in Hell'

Re: Muddies & load rating

There's one running around here with standard sized bfg km2's on it.

I found it . Bridgestone d673 m/t they are the right size and 112 load rated .Speed rating is only q instead of s .Confirmed with insurance ,they ok with it .Scenic Rim park here i come .Changed insurance as well ,cover aint cover when it comes to 4wding as it turns out .I went back to cga ,suncorp were fine but not in 4wd parks or non existing tracks .Cant wait ,the last time i went mudding was 3 years ago in my old truck .
    George
    At Heaven's gate a soldier stood,
    his story ready to tell,
    St Peter said, 'no need my son all is understood,
    Go right in cos you've already served your time in Hell'

This post deleated becuase it turns out not to be true in QLD.........check my post further on for better details.

Serioulsy when in doubt Ring the government information services

.......cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

oldboot, even though a lower load rated tyre may do the job, they still must be equal or better than the manufactuer's specs, found on the tyre placard. My brother went through this a while back, went looking for some muddies for his triton, those available in the correct size did not carry the higher load rating. Tyre shop told him they would not fit the tyres whilst the wheels were on the car because the load rating did not match or better the one indicated on the tyre placard on the vehicle. They would however fit any tyre he wanted if he brought the wheels only in. So we put the car up on blocks and took all 5 wheels (including spare) in to get the desired tyre fitted, talk about a pain in the arse. Tried several different tyreshops around town and they all told us the same thing.

Stupid law really, as long as the tyre is rated to meet max axle weight then there shouldn't be a problem....just overzealous nanny state bullshit IMO

OK..I have just gone to QLD transport and checked out the story.....and there is more to it than first appears.

Firstly if your tyre plackard says 255/70R15 with a 112 load rating..you are buggered because that is what you have to have minimum....regardless of what the engineering might say.
    There are only 2 or 3 common manufacturers that I have seen that have a tyre to that spec.

Now on a hilux for instance....the standard tyre is 205R16C 6 ply rated....the SR tyre is as above........there is absolutly no difference to the chasis or suspension.

It seems a but silly that you could not even run the standard tyre on an identical chasis if it has an SR plackard on it.

So on the SR you are stuck because that is what is on the plackard.

In QLD thay dont seem interested in the engineering as laid down in the standards.

Now...the 205R16C 6 ply, On the one hand it is argued that ply rated tyres have no direct load index comparison...... but on the other hand the wheel and tyre manual gives a 107 load index when that tyre is run as a single which is a load rating of 975KG @ 350Kpa........

so if it is a non SR hilux 107 is adequate.

I don't know how this stands interstate, but in QLD what is on the plackard is what you are stuck with.

Now where do you stand if you have a non SR plated hilux and you are running 255/70R15's......can they be 107 rated......you would want to have your argument well sorted I recon.

there are more interesting background things but lets leave it at that.

sorry about any confusion....it pays to go a get it from the horses mouth.

QLD Vehicle modifications hotline 07 3253 4851.

BTW my pirelli scorpions in 235/75R15 are 110 load rated as a single.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.