Thread: spinning reel for Mackrel and dolphin fish

spinning reel for Mackrel and dolphin fish

Looking for recommendations for a quality spinning reel for Mackrel, Wahoo, cobia and Dolphin fish, any suggestions and what lines you recommend. looking at spending up to $500 for reel and line and another 300 for a rod.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Marty
    "Live Life"

Re: spinning reel for Mackrel and dolphin fish

Mate, i just purchased a Salist 6500H with 50 lb braid and Shimano Tcurve 15-24kg rod. Feels great but havne't had a chance to try it.

dont mean to be rude mate but when talking a reel and braid for under $500 there is only so much quality u will get the saltist would be of but for how long im not sure as for a rod maybe a live fibre of some sought would do the job

shimano have a great range and quality for that size reel and price you were looking at. i have 2500 and 1000 stradic which are unreal but a diff size ofcourse. but ive heard good recommendations for quality at that price with shimanos. i am also looking at upgrading in size and am leaning towards the thunnus and stradic ci4. ci4 is only 260g for a 4000. light for casting for hours. other input good or bad is always helpful.

this is mainly a backup for the main outfit being a zeebaas which should arrive next week,, minister of war, peace and recreation activities is going ape already at the cost of the primary so I had to be a bit more frugal for the backup.

I have a couple of trinidad outfits but these days I prefer a grunty spinning rig.. finding the fishing stopping and casting

many may disagree but this is what floats my boat
    "Live Life"

Quote Originally Posted by byron_moses View Post
    dont mean to be rude mate but when talking a reel and braid for under $500 there is only so much quality u will get the saltist would be of but for how long im not sure as for a rod maybe a live fibre of some sought would do the job
    I can't agree with that statement in the slightest. I have reels that I have bought for much less than $100.00 that will knock of the normal run of all of those species. A Penn 850 will not be troubled by any of them and will probably last until you hand it down to youir kids. Not as smooth as others but its a workhorse. Don't think spending more on a reel will catch you any more fish. A few more dollars will buy you lighter and smoother reels and some with fantastic drag performances but in most cases you just dont need it. I have heard of more big time failures of top range spinners than the solid mid range stuff. This may be because they are pushed much harder though.
    I would be looking at the following in no particular order
    Penn Slammers, Spinfishers or Liveliners
    Quantum Cabo PT
    Shimano Saragosa, Baitrunner D, Thunnus C14, Sustain or even a Stradic
    Daiwa Saltist
    Don't forget to consider buying from OS at the moment with the dollar so good
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Maxi sized new series Baitrunner would be my pick for the money. Then you have the freespool ability also if you wish to live bait with it.

Cheers,
    Myles

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
    Maxi sized new series Baitrunner would be my pick for the money. Then you have the freespool ability also if you wish to live bait with it.

Cheers,
    Myles
    Yes it was my pick too.

But I have bent the shaft going from the handle into the reel ever so slightly on my last kingie.

Not sure if they are really able to be put thru these pressures on a regular basis.

10kg kingie on a 8000.

I will be looking to get a new handle, is there a upgraded handle for these?

Tim

And don't get me wrong I still am very happy with the performance of these reels.
    HEAD DOWN BUM UP!

Thats a bugger Tim, I would take it back. I can't see how at max drag for that reel that you should bend the shaft for the handle, especially on a 10kg Kingie. I know they go hard, but it is not like you are catching a 50kg GT on it with the drag locked up.

Cheers,
    Myles

Ryobi Metal Royal tough as $300 never break it .You wont regret it leaves the rest for dead jigging as well.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Timfishin4fun View Post

I will be looking to get a new handle, is there a upgraded handle for these?
    An 8000 Saragosa handle won't fit - I compared the Saragosa handle I have on an old aluminium Thunnus (fitted with an extra washer) and its 'handle shaft' is quite a bit thicker than the one on my new Thunnus CI4 8000 (which I presume is the same diameter as the one a Baitrunner 8000D). Maybe, like the gears themselves, the Thunnus CI4's handle shaft is made of a stronger metal than that of the Baitrunner D's - I don't know - but the whole handle does seem of much higher quality (eg. the Baitrunner D's handle knob is held on by a rivet or something, rather than a screw, and it doesn't run on a bearing).

Marty,

Maybe a Thunnus CI4 8000 or 12000 (the 12000 has an aluminium rotor). Or, if you don't mind spending a little bit above your budget and you don't think you need the baitrunner feature (which is extremely useful for the species you mention, so it might be the better option), there is a brand new Shimano Twinpower 10000 SW-A on ebay at the moment for $580 including postage - basically a cheaper version of the Stella with four less bearings and a brass pinion gear.

Cheers,

Brent.

hi i think brent suggestion on the twin power is a damn good one although popular in japan the price diferrence between it and a stella has been so small that most go the stella however ebay and the dollar make it worth it .
    the species you are targeting mackeral and wahoo like a high speed retrieve cobia however are a lot more leisurely so you will need to look at retrieve length
    fishing wise i am a lbg fishmen mainly spinning usually tuna and spanish however i am now moving in to gt popping. My current reels include a dogfight which has been to hell and back , 18000 sw stella , emblem pro and the saltist 6500 next rell i get will be either the new daiwa saltiga or a 10000sw
    the emblem surprisingly can handle bloody big fish and can handle being flogged it looks and feels light wight but you will be surprised on what it can handle , the saltist 6500 has a body that seems sturdy but to be honest i dont like it at all not only the gape between the handle and the reel when retreiving a metal lure at high speed the lures action is bad all over the pace (bit hard to explain).

obviously you can't go out and get a stella or the new 4500 saltiga defianlty look at the twinpower it can handle even gt's punishment .

as for rod for 300 thats will be hard and also depends on what lure weights you are using check out the demon blood range by daiwa

more importantly if you can find one second hand as new would blow your budget
    a Saltiga 80tn would be perfect for you lots of strength when u need it but can cast a broad spectrum of weights from tuna hardbody's such as tackle house ktens 50 gr /shibuki etc and light metals from 40 to 85 unfortuanly new they are expensive however probably the best all round and versitile rod for casting to the species you mentioned 30-100 g lure weight
    cheers

I would look at it as an $800 combo and for that ( or less ) you will get an outfit that would stop enough fish to be very happy with it. One of those 5000 twinpowers from ebay matched to a live fibre or similar would be a great combo.

For something a little left field, but very respectable, take a look at the Diablo 9000 or 10 000 reels. Do a Google search and figure it out for yourself, you could do worse.
    Tim