216 22.27%
  • Johnson

10 1.03%
  • Yamaha

332 34.23%
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Outboard Motor Brand ?

Outboard Motor Brand ?

If money was no issue and someone said to you that they will pay for a brand new outboard engine for your boat ( i wish), which brand would you get them to purchase for you?

Mercury?
    Honda?
    Evinrude?
    Tohatsu?
    Suzuki?
    Johnson?
    Yamaha?

Re: Outboard Motor Brand ?

Depends which HP range, small 2stk Yamaha; Big 2stk Merc; Big 4stk Yamaha

you left out an option for "any" I would gladly have any brand if the motor was suitable for my purpose and boat. Just to quantify why I would not have a certain brand, when I was looking at 90HP 4 strokes, the Mercury, even though it is a great motor is over 20KG heavier than a Suzuki, so that ruled it out of the mix, but it means nothing in regards to quality or performance, it is just not what I wanted/needed! so in effect, this is a poll that will mean jack! and bfore I look at the results, I'm guessing Yamaha will win hands down, even though personally I do not think they are any better than any other brand in any HP.

I also reckon it depends on the boat as to how well it carries weight on the rear and also what I was going to do with it .in the small tinny range I would have the yammie 2 stroke , in a 60hp range I would have the yammie 4 stroke,in the 90hp range i would have the etec . in the 140hp range I would have the suzi 4 stroke
    but that is just me
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

yeah i realise its a bit general. one brand will be better suited on one boat than the other and it may not represent what the most favoured brand will be due to this. but was coming from the angle of what motor would u get purchased for you, intended for your current boat or if you own more than one boat then the one you use the most.

OH, OK then, seeing as I just got two new motors, then it is easy to tick a box.

Ok I'll have whatever brand will pay me to use it!!!

Pair of these please, pretty please. pretty please with sugar on top.

http://www.megoutboards.com/

I like these as well

http://sealionmarine.com/profile_en.php

The normal outboards go along the lines of as long as there is a decent sizes parts provider and agent nearby who does good work. Just as important as the motor itself.

I would tick any except Tohatsu...heard to many warranty horror story's over this brand through the years but short of that I would include it also.

For my boat the 115 Suzuki so I will tick the Zuk.

depends on weight issues but 4 stroke honda or suzuki
    2 stroke tohatsu, never had problems with mine
    would like to know what you have heard re warranty issues FNQ, Lakeside not up to scratch?
    Cheers.

Tickleish pretty well sumed it up for me thats why i'm in the market for a new 250hp opti.

yamaha or honda that is all I would ever use. Had both on my own boats and the VMR boats over 3000hrs with no issues. Currently got the latest Honda BF90 and it is just unreal.. would recommend one to anyone
    "Live Life"

I ticked Honda.. I believe they have set the bench mark for 4st motors with their BLAST and ECOmo lean burn....

But what actual motor would I buy today if I had a choice.. That would depend on what boat I had.. If I was repowering my Seafarer Vermont, I would go for another E-tec, not doubt about it...

On somthing like a Hains Patriot, a Honda...

if I was wanting a big single engine for a big boat.. Merc Verardo....

wish list, would have to be a merc verado.

Ausfish Bronze Member

no. 1 on the water!!

HONDA .... but then again I am bias and this is mainly to a product which I know is well engineered
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech