Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Outboard Motor Brand ?

Re: Outboard Motor Brand ?

Quote Originally Posted by Beatsworkin2 View Post
    mariner = merc
    yamaha also use to make all mariners up until 1989

and merc still sources powerheads from yamaha

not sure they made Mariners in 1989, sure they did way back in the early days, but by '89, Mariner was well and truely Mercury owned. I don't think Mercury has any power heads made by Yamaha now days, but I could be wrong.

seeing this tread pop up again reminds me I got an email the other day from Quintrex stating they owned by the same company as Vortex now. heard of these motors before but never looked into them. wondering what make they are based off. I'll still stick to my yammie.
    is time to go fishing yet

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    not sure they made Mariners in 1989, sure they did way back in the early days, but by '89, Mariner was well and truely Mercury owned. I don't think Mercury has any power heads made by Yamaha now days, but I could be wrong.
    as far as i can work out they were all under 60hp, ,and a 30 was sold up to 92-94

i think its horses for courses.
    australia is a very brand devoted country "holden or ford" etc
    you will get people that will always be etec or merc or nothing but yamaha etc.

i have a mercury. mercury have been good to me. i work with mercurys . mercury just sticks to the marine game. they dont make pianos or bikes or snowmobiles etc.
    more dealers and parts in aus . so that did it for me i guess

For me it would depend on the boat. If I was repowering my current boat and money was no issue it would be one of the new Merc 150 4 strokes. If it was for a new bigger boat it would probably be a Yamaha or Honda.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Something I have noticed lately is I seem to see more mercury outboards getting around than any other brand ! Maybe I'm biased as I own a merc but I do seem to see more mercs on the water and at the biat ramps than yammies & Zuks

Quote Originally Posted by Makita View Post
    Something I have noticed lately is I seem to see more mercury outboards getting around than any other brand ! Maybe I'm biased as I own a merc but I do seem to see more mercs on the water and at the biat ramps than yammies & Zuks
    Must be just the area you frequent, sure isn't that way in my neck of the woods
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech