216 22.27%
  • Johnson

10 1.03%
  • Yamaha

332 34.23%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Outboard Motor Brand ?

Re: Outboard Motor Brand ?

There is no option for 7 Marine, if it didn't matter of the cost I'd have a couple of these engines and a boat to match.

Make something Idiot proof and they make better Idiots

4 stroke Honda.. My 130hp '07 has NEVER missed a beat, and very cheap to run on a 6M..

theres only one brand YAMAHA of course.

It depends on a few things for me.

Local dealer and service is an issue, the best motor with a cr*ppy local service agent is an unacceptable risk. All of the major brands make good motors these days, I would choose based on what I consider the better motor for the needs of the boat and the local representation.

I also like to go for the lower power for a given displacement. This means to me that the motor is under stressed and also will have higher midrange torque than a motor of same hp but at the top hp for the capacity of that range. Eg: my plate boat has a 135 opti, the smallest hp of the 2.5l v6, and the glass boat has a yammie f225, the smallest hp of the 4.2l v6.

Cheers
    Craig

I'm looking at upgrading the 2stroke Johno atm and I was leaning towards the F80 from yamaha but would love a 90 honda or suk. Yamaha has a great finance deal and just noticed that honda has what seems a better deal @ 5.99%. Will have to wait on the details but the honda has its nose in front atm.

Mark

verado all the way

I was guilty of voting yamaha earlier on because i owned one..... but now having purchased a new honda there is really no comparing them. IMHO the HONDA leaves the YAMMI for dead for motor quality and dealer servicing.

Quote Originally Posted by captain rednut View Post
    theres only one brand YAMAHA of course.
    dont you like my honda jimmy? at least it doesnt squeek like my yammy did

Wow, I'm surprised with how many nominated a Yamaha! I have a Evinrude but I am keen to hear why people think Yama outboards are better!

Yamaha, Suzuki or Honda depending on HP required. Yamaha top of the list at the moment 'cause I have one and it does the business for me

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by black runner View Post
    Yamaha, Suzuki or Honda depending on HP required. Yamaha top of the list at the moment 'cause I have one and it does the business for me

Cheers
    just wait till it poops a power head on your holidays ,and you get told by the dealer you have to wait for a month for a replacement.

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

Only a Merc Black on the back for me.Jim
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

Evinrude ETEC. Had no problems with my twin 115hp. Low maintenace, plenty of get up and go.

way way back when this was first started I made the comment that Yamaha was going to win easy (and it has turned out to be so), Yamaha just has the "name" but I have noticed in recent times, more than just a few people saying they will not have another Yamaha! why??? has Yamaha quality slipped a bit recently?, have the other manufacturers picked up their act a bit? or is it simply places like here that can relay a problem to the world with the click of a mouse? and before, dramas were only known to a mate of a mate?

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    way way back when this was first started I made the comment that Yamaha was going to win easy (and it has turned out to be so), Yamaha just has the "name" but I have noticed in recent times, more than just a few people saying they will not have another Yamaha! why??? has Yamaha quality slipped a bit recently?, have the other manufacturers picked up their act a bit? or is it simply places like here that can relay a problem to the world with the click of a mouse? and before, dramas were only known to a mate of a mate?
    dunno, never owned a yammy but maybe you influenced or skewed the result a touch? :-)