216 22.27%
  • Johnson

10 1.03%
  • Yamaha

332 34.23%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Outboard Motor Brand ?

Re: Outboard Motor Brand ?

I said way back that I reckon Yamaha will win the poll easily, and it has turned out to be so, however, from my recent observations from previous yamaha owners (some for a third motor) I reckon Yamaha is now losing ground to the other makes in huge leaps and bounds, so, if this poll is taken in (say) 5 years, I think the result will pan out quite differently. there is a pro near me that I know very well, and he has been a Yamaha man for many years, but last weekend he was telling me it was time to change motors again (twin 115) and Yamaha is not on the list this time! Now before all the Yammie owner send out the lynch mob, I think they are a good motor, but for some reason, they are not the motor that is a "must have" anymore. I guess if you do some forum searching (especially the US) there is more Yamaha horror stories than any other motor now, including E-tec!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I said way back that I reckon Yamaha will win the poll easily, and it has turned out to be so
    That amased me.
    I have never even considered a Yammi for any of my boats.
    Don't know why...just is.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I never doubted for one minute that Yamaha would not win, there is just so many people out there who own them and will never change brand (well I don't think that way now) but I think they are "common" rather than better than anything else, I have owned Yamahas before and they were OK, but certainly no better than any Mercs I have owned, or Evinrudes, so why the fanatical fan base is anyones guess, and my prediction still holds, this poll in a few years will reveal a very different result, with (maybe) Merc near the top, along with Honda/Suzuki as well. Evinrude may come back, but all the negative press and doomsdayers need to be silenced first, Yamaha will continue to be a force of course, but how big is anyones guess, my guess is they will loose ground big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    and my prediction still holds, this poll in a few years will reveal a very different result, with (maybe) Merc near the top, along with Honda/Suzuki as well. Evinrude may come back, but all the negative press and doomsdayers need to be silenced first, Yamaha will continue to be a force of course, but how big is anyones guess, my guess is they will loose ground big time.
    Will have to put that on the calender for five years hence Noel. Lets hope we're all around to see the results.

yep, I hope we will be here to see the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Skusto View Post
    lots of etec bashers out there get over it find something else to talk about.
    I think the only reason there are alot of E-Tec Bashers out there is because of how they entered the market. YES Their Marketing Was the best Marketing ever to promote the E-TEC brand and with that DVD of how it pulled the yammy Under won alot of boaties over (if they were silly enough to believe it) But still was the best advertiseing by any engine company and got them alot of orders, and props to them. I think when E-Tec come back to reality with there product and stop false advertiseing and people stop jumping on that ban wagon and believeing it, im sure all the Bashers will go away. Also its never a bash at a person its a bash at the brand of engine and what they say they can do, so it should never be taken personally. For eg. 1. There quieter then a 4 stroke ( NO CHANCE) 2. they use less fuel then a 4 stroke ( NO CHANCE). 3. the running cost are less then a 4 stroke ( NO CHANCE) and the best is 4. the no service for 300hrs, as you still need to get all engines checked before 300hrs no matter 2 or 4 especially if you want it to be realiable and last a while. Anyone with common sense knows what salt water will do to an engine and the reasons you need to get your engine serviced before 300hrs. I think once all that rubbish talk goes away and they realise there still a 2 stroke at the end of the day and not a 4 you will see alot of conversations about them stop.
    Cheers
    Matty

There is no way my etecs will wait 300 hrs. that could well be 6 years away

Cheers Stu

Quote Originally Posted by business class View Post
    I think the only reason there are alot of E-Tec Bashers out there is because of how they entered the market. YES Their Marketing Was the best Marketing ever to promote the E-TEC brand and with that DVD of how it pulled the yammy Under won alot of boaties over (if they were silly enough to believe it) But still was the best advertiseing by any engine company and got them alot of orders, and props to them. I think when E-Tec come back to reality with there product and stop false advertiseing and people stop jumping on that ban wagon and believeing it, im sure all the Bashers will go away. Also its never a bash at a person its a bash at the brand of engine and what they say they can do, so it should never be taken personally. For eg. 1. There quieter then a 4 stroke ( NO CHANCE) 2. they use less fuel then a 4 stroke ( NO CHANCE). 3. the running cost are less then a 4 stroke ( NO CHANCE) and the best is 4. the no service for 300hrs, as you still need to get all engines checked before 300hrs no matter 2 or 4 especially if you want it to be realiable and last a while. Anyone with common sense knows what salt water will do to an engine and the reasons you need to get your engine serviced before 300hrs. I think once all that rubbish talk goes away and they realise there still a 2 stroke at the end of the day and not a 4 you will see alot of conversations about them stop.
    Personaly, i think you should read there mission statement again. JMO
    It says No Scheduled service for 3 years or 300hrs !

Mark

There is no way my etecs will wait 3 yrs either.
    And anyone waiting 100 hrs to service their 4 banger when they only clock up 40 50 hrs a yr a just a mad

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-P View Post
    Personaly, i think you should read there mission statement again. JMO
    It says No Scheduled service for 3 years or 300hrs !

Mark
    Yes you are correct, it does say no scheduled serive but!!!! when people buy these they get the idea that hey they can run around for 3 years or 300 hours before there engine gets touched that what i was getting at
    Cheers
    Matty

Quote Originally Posted by business class View Post
    Yes you are correct, it does say no scheduled serive but!!!! when people buy these they get the idea that hey they can run around for 3 years or 300 hours before there engine gets touched that what i was getting at
    Your probably right, for the average punter.
    But anyone with mechanical know-how, should be a bit wiser !

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-P View Post
    Your probably right, for the average punter.
    But anyone with mechanical know-how, should be a bit wiser !

Mark
    You forgot that they should also be aware of the issues arising from these sorts of engines
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    You forgot that they should also be aware of the issues arising from these sorts of engines
    G'Day Gary,
    It does not really concern me as I have a Yammy 4 Stroke , but just out of curiosity what issues do you mean.
    Thanks,
    Shawn

Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

just to add my 2 cents,id never buy a yamaha ,because there alloy is crap and they corrode on a high salt diet ,thier parts back up is poor imop in this country also,and dont even try to have a warranty calim .
    honda are just too heavy and expensive,for my tastes,poor on warranty back up as well
    etec well poor parts back ,and not many people know how to fix them when they play up,and thier oil is too expensive
    merc have great parts back up ,good warranty ,and a reasonable dealer network.
    suzuki ,well they have come a long way in a short time ,but expensive parts and poor warranty back up is a concern and crap alloy.
    imop the japanese engines all have poor alloy as they have to buy it ,they put a good anti corrosion coating on them but once it breaks down its all over,hence the anodoes in the water jackets ,but they do lead the way with electrics.
    the mercs have the best alloy hands down ,proably because they make there own.
    i make these comments as when i had my outboard boreing and sleeving buisness i saw lots of engines from all over australia and these comments are made from my personal experience.
    that said you really are governed by your local outboard service mechanic,you could buy the best outboard in the world but if no one close to you knows how to service and fix it properly then youve got the worst outboard in the world.